Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst ... 567891011183358108 ... LastLast

• Legends never die...

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Dapper Ghost over at DB.com stumbled on this gem: GGG on House of Mouse. Besides the HM, it's got a lot of clever allusions to spooky Disney cartoons, like The Skeleton Dance and Lonesome Ghosts. Best of all, it's got the Hatbox Ghost in it.

YouTube - Hitchhiking Ghosts - Grim Grinning Ghosts
    That was great! The Bride was really creepy though. If I'd seen that when I was younger I would have had nightmares for days!

And the pop-ups are great, but have gotten less effective lately. Without any sound you can hear the clank of their mechanisms sometimes, and sometimes they come up too high, revealing their pipes. And don't get me started on their Santa hats during HMH. Wasn't one of them supposedly an HBG head at one point?
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• A Honorary Autobot

HBG2, over the last few pages - regarding whether HBG will be returning to the HM or not - you've repeatedly mentioned an instance where DL scrapped an impending HM revision. Can you tell us about it? What was planned and why - if you know - was it halted at the last minute?

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    And the pop-ups are great [....] Wasn't one of them supposedly an HBG head at one point?
    Yeah, this has been discussed many times in these Threads. The most recent one starts on this page:
    Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    HBG2, over the last few pages - regarding whether HBG will be returning to the HM or not - you've repeatedly mentioned an instance where DL scrapped an impending HM revision. Can you tell us about it? What was planned and why - if you know - was it halted at the last minute?
    Actually, I think I mentioned it only once. Anyway, it's something GRD told me. I don't remember if it was private or public, but at any rate, he knows the details, and he also knows how much of it is okay to talk about freely, so I'll let him take that one. Let's just say it's a room that comes quickly to mind when the topic comes up, "places-in-the-DL-HM-that-need-some-imaginative-revamping."

=================

I suppose that a lot of you assume I will be furious if HBG2 doesn't show up this Fall. No, not exactly. I'll be disgusted with Disney for raising hopes and then dashing them (and yes, I still maintain that it is they who have raised the hopes, not I or any other HBG fans, by publishing explicit comments about a further groom for Constance in juxtaposition with multiple images of the HBG; I mean, come on, people, the kiddies who watch Blue's Clues could figure this one out). And being one of the most persistent cheerleaders for the project, I'll likely be a convenient laughingstock for anyone inclined to gloat over the Big NoShow, so I suppose that would be irritating too (especially after keeping quiet about stuff I've heard, stuff that I'm supposed to keep quiet about).

But in the end, I won't firebomb Glendale or open my wrists over this one. For one thing, it just means he'll show up later. I agree with those who think that there's a certain inevitability to it. Baxter likes HBG, and a lot of Imagineers are HBG geeks too. Even if it takes till the HM 50th, he's bound to show up.

For another thing, I must admit to enjoying the status quo in a strange, melancholy way. There's something...bigger...about the absence rather than the presence that resonates well with a haunted house. He's the ghostliest ghost in the HM simply because he isn't there (except he is, even though he isn't...aw fudge, you know what I mean). I worry that they're going to overscript him and take him out of our imaginations and into a hard reality we won't like as well. To be the HBG, he needs to remain mysterious, and frankly, I don't entirely trust Tony & Co. to sufficiently respect that quality (sorry, Data).
    Last edited by HBG2; 01-24-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Some more fun with the 40th Anny artwork.

Back in T3, it was pointed out that "Rebecca," who has been kicking around the attic for years, can be seen carting her waterpot around in SHAG's 40th Anny artwork. (I believe it was HMF who noticed this: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3 )

Well, it looks like other artists have paid close attention to the actual attic for incidental details as well. The gold and white pitcher in the scene depicted on this pin...

...is no figment of the imagination, but a very handsome and conspicuous piece of attic crockery. It's visible in oodles of pix:

Incidentally, I expect that at any time someone is going to pop up and argue that the presence of the five husband portraits in this and in other 40th merch (like the charm bracelet) argues against the very existence of any plans to bring back the HBG. But let me pre-empt that one by pointing out that if the HBG were to return, he wouldn't be in a portrait but would instead be an actual character, so "five portraits" artwork doesn't really address the issue and is therefore irrelevant, IMO, BTW, and FWIW.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Some more fun with the 40th Anny artwork.

Back in T3, it was pointed out that "Rebecca," who has been kicking around the attic for years, can be seen carting her waterpot around in SHAG's 40th Anny artwork. (I believe it was HMF who noticed this: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3 )

Well, it looks like other artists have paid close attention to the actual attic for incidental details as well. The gold and white pitcher in the scene depicted on this pin...

...is no figment of the imagination, but a very handsome and conspicuous piece of attic crockery. It's visible in oodles of pix:

Incidentally, I expect that at any time someone is going to pop up and argue that the presence of the five husband portraits in this and in other 40th merch (like the charm bracelet) argues against the very existence of any plans to bring back the HBG. But let me pre-empt that one by pointing out that if the HBG were to return, he wouldn't be in a portrait but would instead be an actual character, so "five portraits" artwork doesn't really address the issue and is therefore irrelevant, IMO, BTW, and FWIW.
    I was the one who noticed Rebecca but I would have never noticed that and I was scanning that pin for Rebecca too. I wonder if my WDW Constance pin references any real props.

• Yo!

I've heard of "reading between the lines," but some people are taking it way too far. There's a big difference between reading what's actually between the lines and what you want to see between the lines.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    I've heard of "reading between the lines," but some people are taking it way too far. There's a big difference between reading what's actually between the lines and what you want to see between the lines.

Oh come on. Let everyone have their fun. If HBG comes back this year then great! Everyone will be happy to see the legendary effect in place.

However, if HBG does not come back there will undoubtedly be disappointment...but we'll get over it. Once that happens we can continue enjoying the mystery behind his absence.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

what's actually between the lines
    Um... "actually between the lines" there is nothing at all, so it's hard to know what you're trying to say.

• Member of Baxter's Army

I have a question that I suspect GRD might know the answer to. We have talked in the past about the nautical elements in the Attic Scene which were added in 95 and they were never added to WDW even though the Attic was updated in 96. I wonder if they put a model sailing ship into the WDW Ambrose tableau with the recent refurb. I would not be surprised.
    Last edited by HMF; 01-24-2009 at 07:34 PM.

• Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    However, if HBG does not come back there will undoubtedly be disappointment...but we'll get over it. Once that happens we can continue enjoying the mystery behind his absence.
    Oh I have no problem with that. Generally that's what's happened in year's past. This time around, though, quite a few people are acting like Disney made this bizarre legal commitment to add him to the attraction, and if Disney doesn't then they have the right to sue. There've been a number of other odd accusations made against Disney, but I'm not going to bother rehashing those....it just isn't worth it.

Um... "actually between the lines" there is nothing at all, so it's hard to know what you're trying to say.
    I'm not sure my point could've been made any clearer. There's a fine line between reading into hints that actually exist, and pretending to see hints that don't exist at all. This 40th event, for instance, is being put on by the marketing department. Given the current advertisements for the event, I'd say there's a possibility the HBG could show up at the marketing event, but NOWHERE has Disney promised that he'd show up in the actual attraction. If he does, then great, but Disney hasn't promised anything....the only information they've given has been in regards to the marketing event, and NOT the actual attraction.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

This time around, though, quite a few people are acting like Disney made this bizarre legal commitment to add him to the attraction, and if Disney doesn't then they have the right to sue.
    One poster said Disney will be guilty of "false advertising" if HBG2 doesn't show. One other poster agreed.

That's it. Two = "quite of few"?

I'm not sure my point could've been made any clearer. There's a fine line between reading into hints that actually exist, and pretending to see hints that don't exist at all.
    Friend, your hole is only getting deeper. Are you really going to argue now that no hints exist at all that Constance is going to get another husband, or that this husband will likely be the HBG?

This 40th event, for instance, is being put on by the marketing department. Given the current advertisements for the event, I'd say there's a possibility the HBG could show up at the marketing event, but NOWHERE has Disney promised that he'd show up in the actual attraction. If he does, then great, but Disney hasn't promised anything....the only information they've given has been in regards to the marketing event, and NOT the actual attraction.
    So the public is just supposed to know somehow that substantial and explicit (not hinted) additions to the backstory of an attraction are ephemeral and meaningless if put out by one official branch of Disney, but trustworthy if put out by another official branch of Disney? And Disney isn't being stupid and inconsiderate if they blame the fans for failing to understand that distinction rather than withdraw the misleading materials?

• Banned User

Stupid and inconsiderate would be the operative words in this case, yes.

the pop-up heads seem a little too cheesy to me
    cute but seemingly out of place .......

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'm not sure my point could've been made any clearer. There's a fine line between reading into hints that actually exist, and pretending to see hints that don't exist at all. This 40th event, for instance, is being put on by the marketing department. Given the current advertisements for the event, I'd say there's a possibility the HBG could show up at the marketing event, but NOWHERE has Disney promised that he'd show up in the actual attraction. If he does, then great, but Disney hasn't promised anything....the only information they've given has been in regards to the marketing event, and NOT the actual attraction.
    The people running this event and Walt Disney Imagineering are all apart of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. Some of the merchandise was designed by Imagineers. Hat Box Ghost merchandise has been sold in the past, so that would be nothing new. The material's wording is explicit. Plenty of Yesterland based merchandise has been sold in the past without anybody taking it to mean anything.

• Yo!

So the public is just supposed to know somehow that substantial and explicit (not hinted) additions to the backstory of an attraction are ephemeral and meaningless if put out by one official branch of Disney, but trustworthy if put out by another official branch of Disney? And Disney isn't being stupid and inconsiderate if they blame the fans for failing to understand that distinction rather than withdraw the misleading materials?
    You're missing my point, "friend." They are marketing an event to sell merchandise for the attraction's 40th that most likely includes some special show that's an extension of the Constance backstory. There is absolutely nothing in any of the material Disney has released that guarantees they're adding to the attraction. Based on what's been released thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if the HBG shows up at the actual event, but I doubt he'll appear in the attraction since that hasn't been announced, at all.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst ... 567891011183358108 ... LastLast