Page 9 of 135 FirstFirst ... 6789101112193459109 ... LastLast

• Legends never die...

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Yeah, this has been discussed many times in these Threads. The most recent one starts on this page:
    Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3
    Oops! Duh! That is where I first heard it. Sorry!

I suppose that a lot of you assume I will be furious if HBG2 doesn't show up this Fall. No, not exactly.

But in the end, I won't firebomb Glendale or open my wrists over this one. For one thing, it just means he'll show up later. I agree with those who think that there's a certain inevitability to it. Baxter likes HBG, and a lot of Imagineers are HBG geeks too. Even if it takes till the HM 50th, he's bound to show up.
    Why are we still on the topic? One or two other people clearly expressed they would be extremely upset, but HBG2 and others have made it clear that ULTIMATELY they'll be fine (as per above). So let's ALL move on and hope for the best! (Please don't hurt me! )
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

I think we all need to take a step back, realize that Disney IS more than certainly suggesting that they are doing SOMETHING with the Hatbox Ghost. It could be just new HBG-based merchandise, it could be attraction-related, we don't know and won't until the day comes and goes. The only thing we know is that The Walt Disney Company intends to make use of this character in some way, shape or form. I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that he will return with 100% certainty, nor do I believe that anyone can deny that we'll be seeing more of this character, even if it's just in the merch. I think the point that both sides are looking to express is that Disney, CLEARLY, is going to do SOMETHING with the character, and anyone who believes otherwise is in denial to a miriaculous proportion. Only time will tell how deeply they're going to exploit the character.

Until that time, let us PLEASE agree to disagree (if that's even the case, which I'm not sure it is) and continue to discuss peacefully all of the interesting and mysterious elements of the Haunted Mansion as it exists, existed and may exist one day.

So, when exactly did the Graveyard pop-ups stop screaming? Granted, it wasn't until 2001 that I first visited the DL Mansion, but I've been visiting the WDW Mansion for 18 years and I can't recall ever hearing a pop-up outside the attic shriek, scream or what-have-you.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Banned User

Some of you guys should be working for Disney's legal department; you're good at splitting hairs to cover the company's a**. Look, after hinting up down and sideways that HBG is coming back, if they never do anything more than have him show up, in some shape or form, at the 40th anniversary merchandise event...then we've been had.

For one thing, only a handful of Disney fans will be at that event, and only if they can cough up the extra dough for it. What about the rest of us? For another, anything less than putting him back in the ride itself would be a big letdown; what are they going to do, have some guy in a HBG suit parade around for a while? Release one or two HBG merch items? Hang up posters of the HBG? All extremely underwhelming, sort of like sending a card for your mom's birthday after hinting for months that you'll be there in person...

<So, when exactly did the Graveyard pop-ups stop screaming? Granted, it wasn't until 2001 that I first visited the DL Mansion, but I've been visiting the WDW Mansion for 18 years and I can't recall ever hearing a pop-up outside the attic shriek, scream or what-have-you.>

Well, I can definately attest to the WDW graveyard pop-ups - at least on my first visit way back in 1973 - and indeed several of them were accompanied by audio as well. In particular I recall the first one on the right just after you enter through the graveyard gates emitting that drawn-out female scream also heard in the COD - as well as a male cackle heard on the "Story and Song of the HM" record eminating from the vicinity of the hearse ghosts. For that matter, the bicycle-riding ghosts also let out with these high-pitched shrieks that haven't been heard for decades now...

• Banned User

HMF, I have to wonder if they'll ever bring back the blood curdling screams. Just too scary for some uptight parents, sadly.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    You're missing my point, "friend." They are marketing an event to sell merchandise for the attraction's 40th that most likely includes some special show that's an extension of the Constance backstory. There is absolutely nothing in any of the material Disney has released that guarantees they're adding to the attraction. Based on what's been released thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if the HBG shows up at the actual event, but I doubt he'll appear in the attraction since that hasn't been announced, at all.
    Okay, that's clearer. Sorry for my tone; please accept my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    I think we all need to take a step back, realize that Disney IS more than certainly suggesting that they are doing SOMETHING with the Hatbox Ghost. It could be just new HBG-based merchandise, it could be attraction-related, we don't know and won't until the day comes and goes. The only thing we know is that The Walt Disney Company intends to make use of this character in some way, shape or form. I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that he will return with 100% certainty, nor do I believe that anyone can deny that we'll be seeing more of this character, even if it's just in the merch. I think the point that both sides are looking to express is that Disney, CLEARLY, is going to do SOMETHING with the character, and anyone who believes otherwise is in denial to a miriaculous proportion. Only time will tell how deeply they're going to exploit the character.
    Wise words. The only problem is that I have reliable and sufficiently detailed info that rules out the idea that nothing was (is?) planned for the ride itself. (Even that is probably saying more than I should.) Consequently, it is almost impossible for me to take the merch event elaborations of the Connie story as merely something concocted as a merchandising gimmick, with no correspondence to anything beyond that.

Anyway, I agree that it's time to drop the topic.

So, when exactly did the Graveyard pop-ups stop screaming? Granted, it wasn't until 2001 that I first visited the DL Mansion, but I've been visiting the WDW Mansion for 18 years and I can't recall ever hearing a pop-up outside the attic shriek, scream or what-have-you.
    A very good question. Right now, the only parameters I can draw for the DL graveyard are pretty broad. The screams were definitely there in 1976, but gone by the early 90's (i.e., 1992-95; before the major rehab of 95).

You can hear a couple of the shrieks at DB.com in the sidebar labeled "A Closer Look" on this page:

DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

But the 76 audiotaped ride-thru I've got (thanks to Guy the Ghoul) has other screams. Pretty loud, too.

• Banned User

Wise words. The only problem is that I have reliable and sufficiently detailed info that rules out the idea that nothing was (is?) planned for the ride itself. (Even that is probably saying more than I should.) Consequently, it is almost impossible for me to take the merch event elaborations of the Connie story as merely something concocted as a merchandising gimmick, with no correspondence to anything beyond that.
    I assume that means a source. Well, for me, that clinches it. If we never get anything in the ride itself, then we have been rooked, probably because of a last minute budget cut, more damned penny pinching from the multi-billion dollar scrooges.

• A Honorary Autobot

Yeah, this has been discussed many times in these Threads. The most recent one starts on this page:
    Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3
    Um...nowhere in that link is there any mention of a refurbishment/new effect/room-revamp that was scrapped at the very last minute. I was curious what you were referring to when you said:

It is true that nothing is set in stone until an official announcement is made. In the past, projects that have been green-lighted and are practically ready to install have been canceled at the last minute. I have heard of an ambitious revamp of a certain room in the DL HM that was just days away from implementation at one point, but got the axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Um...nowhere in that link is there any mention of a refurbishment/new effect/room-revamp that was scrapped at the very last minute.
    Um...better read the whole post again.

Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

The first response is for Outlander, and the second response is to your question.

• A Honorary Autobot

Oh, gotcha. Sorry about that.

So um, I'm presuming you're not at liberty to talk about the details of said unmentionable room-in-need-of-revamping?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Oh, gotcha. Sorry about that.

So um, I'm presuming you're not at liberty to talk about the details of said unmentionable room-in-need-of-revamping?
    Like I said, ask GRD.

One piece of HM trivia that everyone seems to know is that the DL ballroom organ is the same organ used in the movie, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. (Actually, it's only the organ console, of course, not the pipes.) The organ was on display for several years in the old Tomorrowland 20K exhibit, which featured actual props from the movie.

Well, it turns out that there is another prop from the movie that made it into the 20K exhibit and from there into the Haunted Mansion...movie. If you've read every square inch of DB.com, you might have picked up on this, but somehow it escaped my notice until it was mentioned on a Mousetalgia podcast recently.

The overstuffed red couch that you can see in this picture...

...was parked in front of the display window for the giant squid tableau in the Tomorrowland exhibit, for guests to sit on.

It was in a kind of well that you stepped down into, with the famous organ, incidentally, just to your left as you sat there.

Anyway, when they made the Haunted Mansion movie, they hauled that old couch out of mothballs and used it in the library scene:

The staff of Doombuggies.com visited the movie sets when it was being filmed, and some of them were photographed sitting on that same couch. (This pic is from DB.com.)

So that's two examples of props from the 20K movie recycled into the Tomorrowland exhibit and from there recycled into the HM (ride or movie).

Just to round things out, in an earlier Thread I speculated about one other possible connection between the 20K movie/exhibit and the HM. I suggested that it was at least possible that Ken Anderson was inspired by the creepy giant squid display in the Tomorrowland 20K exhibit. Anderson toyed with the idea of having a giant man-eating octopus in a pit in the middle of one of the rooms of his 1957-58 Ghost House walk-thru. You can judge for yourselves whether this qualifies as a faint and distant third connection between the two Disney productions:

Last edited by HBG2; 02-10-2009 at 09:05 PM.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

OKAY. I have caught up with everything now, and all the while debating on if I was going to post in this one or not due to the tone and passion of many of the posts. In short: I do NOT want to get caught in the crossfire, folks. It isn't worth it if I lose my temper if I am attacked for something I say. In fact, I'm almost afraid of getting attacked for what I've said thus far about not wanting to get attacked.

In spite of my not wanting to be shot by certain posters for this, I will remind everyone of this little gem of a detail: The new Surrell HM book was supposed to have come out by now, and was postponed for unknown reasons. Granted that it could be anything from an erroneous source to a typo for the reason for the delay, but it seems a little odd that with all of the HBG images seen lately, the mention of the 'new husband', AND the delay of the book....Well, I think it's safe to say that something at the very least WAS in the works.
    I sum up my thoughts on the HBG matter with this: "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."

Simply, the HBG has a plan around him, and until I'm told otherwise from Disney, it is my belief that something is coming, big or small.

(Lastly, if you're planning on posting a response saying why I'm wrong to the think the way I do and why I fail at life and at being a human, please do it via PM. The Thread needs a little less hate in it and a little more understanding, in my opinion.)
    dreams. come. true.

• Done waiting!!

Aside from the HBG what other changes would you like to see made that could strengthen the backstory of the HM? I'd like to see something done in the ball room or the loading area but I'm not sure what.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    Aside from the HBG what other changes would you like to see made that could strengthen the backstory of the HM? I'd like to see something done in the ball room or the loading area but I'm not sure what.
    Actually, I'd like anything that would weaken the backstory. Boo, backstory. Hiss, backstory. HM don't need no steeeeenking backstory.