Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
Results 151 to 165 of 165
  1. #151

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,884

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If there ARE still places to park, no cast members knew of it or if they did, none were on hand to direct us to it.
    It sounds like there were no other parking options available at the time. Blaming the Cast Members isn't very productive as I doubt there were any lots they could have directed you to.

    And closing off inbound guests to the park is a loss of revenue.
    It's complicated of course. There is a balance between spending X amount of money to bring in Y amount of people. If the amount of AP sales are increase the parking demographics to the point where they need more parking, they have to weigh the cost of building more parking and the loss of valuable resort space, against the amount of money that they would make back from the AP sales.

    If Disney can save their space for other options they should do that instead of catering to lower revenue generating APs. That's been my point all along. a 300 dollar hotel rooms makes a heck of a lot more money than a 12 dollar parking space.

    As long as Disneyland and DCA are still operating and not closed off due to capacity issues, Disney should be providing late comers with options. If we are to park at Angel Stadium, that's an option without requiring the spending of a new structure.
    And then the day there is an angel's game and the lots there are full, people will be coming onto MiceChat complaining that Disney doesn't have a plan D? Parking is finite and they can only do so much.

    Nah, I like going when I feel like it.
    Did you try parking at the parking structure at Garden Walk? That's usually pretty empty.

    Again, making things up, Mr. Liver. There is a problem with parking. Darkbeer even mentioned how there are fewer spaces now than they were years ago, and it's only going to get fewer.
    And I've listed SEVERAL suggestions as to how that can be fixed.

    How about:
    7)Pay for parking at Garden Walk.
    8) Park at The Block and take the bus back to Disneyland.
    9) Set up an AP carpooling club and turn four cars into one.
    10) Park at Knott's Berry Farm and take the bus from Knott's

    And at the end of the day, Disney does have plans for other parking structures, but they're going to be losing a lot of parking to work on that. Parking WILL be a far worser problem regardless of what time of day I show up.
    Feel free to save yourself the aggravation and not visit the resort until the new parking structure is done in a year and a half. Otherwise just accept that some days parking will be sparse and folks have to plan accordingly.

  2. #152

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,200

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    It sounds like there were no other parking options available at the time. Blaming the Cast Members isn't very productive as I doubt there were any lots they could have directed you to.
    English. Do you read it? Because nobody is 'blaming' cast members. There certainly was a lack of Disney presence that day, (i.e. lack of communication than they normally have on days half as busy).


    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    It's complicated of course. There is a balance between spending X amount of money to bring in Y amount of people. If the amount of AP sales are increase the parking demographics to the point where they need more parking, they have to weigh the cost of building more parking and the loss of valuable resort space, against the amount of money that they would make back from the AP sales.

    If Disney can save their space for other options they should do that instead of catering to lower revenue generating APs. That's been my point all along. a 300 dollar hotel rooms makes a heck of a lot more money than a 12 dollar parking space.

    You're comparing the wrong things. $300 hotel rooms or $400 annual passes would be a better comparison. Each require a parking spot. The difference is that for every $300, you need one day of parking. For every $400, you need a maximum of 365 days of parking.

    And so far, the parking problem has only occured on the most extreme occasions. Occasions, I might add, that Disney were perfectly aware of.



    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    And then the day there is an angel's game and the lots there are full, people will be coming onto MiceChat complaining that Disney doesn't have a plan D? Parking is finite and they can only do so much.
    Of course they can only do so much. You propose they do nothing at all. Big difference.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Did you try parking at the parking structure at Garden Walk? That's usually pretty empty.
    No, I didn't try Garden Walk because I wasn't going to Garden Walk. McDonald's had some empty spaces, I could have done that!

    Yah, I'm not a fan of parking where I'm not supposed to truth be told.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    And I've listed SEVERAL suggestions as to how that can be fixed.

    How about:
    7)Pay for parking at Garden Walk.
    8) Park at The Block and take the bus back to Disneyland.
    9) Set up an AP carpooling club and turn four cars into one.
    10) Park at Knott's Berry Farm and take the bus from Knott's
    I'm all for carpooling (as are most of us here) but there are times when spontaneous trips to Disneyland is all that you have time for. and why pay at Garden Walk when I've already PAID for my parking through my annual pass? And as I've said before, I don't particularly like parking where I'm not supposed to park.

    Anyway, hopefully this will have been a one-time occurance where Disney ran out of parking.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  3. #153

    • Beach Expert
    • Online

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I'm not blaming the customer.
    Yes you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I am blaming the individuals who believe that Disney needs to go to extreme measures to please only themselves.
    And guess what, MrLiver, we PAID for Disney to please us! If you have a single day ticket or park hopper, or if you have an AP makes no difference.

    It is a very simple idea. We give Disney money. In return they give us a way to leave the realities of today and enter a world of fantasy -- if you don't believe that then tear down the plaques at the entrance tunnels. The parking experience should be an equally magical experience especially since we give them the money up front regardles if we have an AP or not. Instead of magic what the guest experiences is anger and frustration -- hardly an emotion that Disney told me I would experience when I gave them my money.

    And I know your response -- "Then just don't go to Disneyland." Well guess what -- this really doesn't bother me. But for a company to value giving magic to guests, providing an amazing parking experience should be nothing less. I'm speaking for ALL guests in general, not just for myself.

    It's things like this that make me wonder if Disney truly believes in magic or if it really is a bunch of lip service.

  4. #154

    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14,688

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Yes you are...



    And guess what, MrLiver, we PAID for Disney to please us! If you have a single day ticket or park hopper, or if you have an AP makes no difference.

    It is a very simple idea. We give Disney money. In return they give us a way to leave the realities of today and enter a world of fantasy -- if you don't believe that then tear down the plaques at the entrance tunnels. The parking experience should be an equally magical experience especially since we give them the money up front regardles if we have an AP or not. Instead of magic what the guest experiences is anger and frustration -- hardly an emotion that Disney told me I would experience when I gave them my money.

    And I know your response -- "Then just don't go to Disneyland." Well guess what -- this really doesn't bother me. But for a company to value giving magic to guests, providing an amazing parking experience should be nothing less. I'm speaking for ALL guests in general, not just for myself.

    It's things like this that make me wonder if Disney truly believes in magic or if it really is a bunch of lip service.

    Hence the plaques are on the entrance tunnel not the Freeway off ramp.


    (BTW Walt really didn't mean it when he said Disneyland, is your land either.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

  5. #155

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    2,115

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You're comparing the wrong things. $300 hotel rooms or $400 annual passes would be a better comparison. Each require a parking spot. The difference is that for every $300, you need one day of parking. For every $400, you need a maximum of 365 days of parking.










    We enjoyed both the NAMM convention and the Park that w/e.

    We stayed at the DL Hotel and the parking was fine. Plenty of space for us to park.

    And we didn't pay $300/night (actually, much less).

    Disney knows where the money is...

  6. #156

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    2,115

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

    No, I didn't try Garden Walk because I wasn't going to Garden Walk. McDonald's had some empty spaces, I could have done that!

    Yah, I'm not a fan of parking where I'm not supposed to truth be told.









    I'm aware of plenty of AP'ers (some of them MC'ers, BTW) that routinely park in the DTD lot for the free 3 hours of parking to avoid having to pay for parking while they enjoy the Park.

    I'm glad you'd never do that...

  7. #157

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,884

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    There certainly was a lack of Disney presence that day, (i.e. lack of communication than they normally have on days half as busy). [...] And so far, the parking problem has only occured on the most extreme occasions. Occasions, I might add, that Disney were perfectly aware of.
    What makes you think that Disney was aware of what the parking situation would be if you believe that the Cast Members were not informed and not present that day?

    You're comparing the wrong things. $300 hotel rooms or $400 annual passes would be a better comparison. Each require a parking spot. The difference is that for every $300, you need one day of parking. For every $400, you need a maximum of 365 days of parking.
    Either way you are going to make far less money with a 400 dollar a year annual pass and a 12 dollar a day parking spot than a 300 dollar per night hotel room. It would be incredibly unwise for Disney to dedicate any more of the precise acreage in the resort to parking. Ideally they should be building more hotels because they make more money.

    And typically folks staying in a hotel end up coming 2 or 3 or more in a car.

    Of course they can only do so much. You propose they do nothing at all. Big difference.
    I'm not suggesting they do nothing - I offered many suggestions. I just feel that those suggestions I offered are hardly worth the negative impact they would create.

    What do you propose they do to fix the parking problems? Other than Angel Stadium which wouldn't work on days there are events planned for that venue.

    No, I didn't try Garden Walk because I wasn't going to Garden Walk. McDonald's had some empty spaces, I could have done that!
    McDonald's supposedly only allows 30 minutes worth of parking. If you pay for the parking at Garden Walk I don't see why you couldn't just walk over. I don't believe there are any signs there requesting that folks do not use the parking for theme park parking, and ultimately most of that space is completely under-utilized. It's really not any different than parking in the Downtown Disney spaces other than at Downtown Disney they specifically ask that you do not use those spaces for theme park parking.

    I'm all for carpooling (as are most of us here) but there are times when spontaneous trips to Disneyland is all that you have time for. and why pay at Garden Walk when I've already PAID for my parking through my annual pass?
    Because the spaces you paid for through your annual pass may not be available.

  8. #158

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,884

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And guess what, MrLiver, we PAID for Disney to please us! If you have a single day ticket or park hopper, or if you have an AP makes no difference.
    It really doesn't make a difference - which is why I am saying I am not blaming the customer or blaming the APs.

    But think about this: New Years Eve, a guest and his family fly all the way out from Iowa to come to Disneyland on New Years Eve. They get a fancy room at the Grand Californian and are spending three days at the resort. The entire three days they are there at the resort, the lines for the most popular attractions are over 70 minutes long, lines for food are over 30 minutes. There is no seating for any of the more popular shows, and after heading back to the hotel room for a nap they are denied entry back into Disneyland due to max capacity.

    How should Disney approach this situation? Clearly these folks have already paid for a magical experience, but perhaps through a lack of planning or foresight, they didn't realize that New Years Eve would hardly provide a magical experience due to the heavy crowds. Should Disney just offer automatic refunds for New Years Eve? Should they overbuild the park with the hope that they would be able to handle more crowds on NYE - while the rest of the year you have space underused?

    And I know your response -- "Then just don't go to Disneyland." Well guess what -- this really doesn't bother me. But for a company to value giving magic to guests, providing an amazing parking experience should be nothing less. I'm speaking for ALL guests in general, not just for myself.
    I've offered many great solutions to making the experience more magical. Something I learned in Business 101 many years ago: When demand is up and capacity is over the limit, the obvious solution to maintain your margins is the raise the price, which will reduce the number of people coming without reducing the revenue coming in. Less people = more capacity = more people happy.

    Raising prices seems like an obvious solution to the parking situation as it would mean more available spaces for those who choose to pay the higher price. The problem of course is that if Disney raises the prices they are called evil and greedy. And on the other hand if they do decide to build more parking an increase their operating costs they would have to raise prices and they would be called evil and greedy. And then if they do nothing and do not offer enough spaces, even if 99% of their guests are finding spots, they are called evil and greedy.

    Since there is absolutely no reasonable way to please everyone, doing nothing seems to be the best solution.

  9. #159

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    2,115

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    You can't please all of the people all of the time.

    Disney is no different...

  10. #160

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,200

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

    But think about this: New Years Eve, a guest and his family fly all the way out from Iowa to come to Disneyland on New Years Eve. They get a fancy room at the Grand Californian and are spending three days at the resort. The entire three days they are there at the resort, the lines for the most popular attractions are over 70 minutes long, lines for food are over 30 minutes. There is no seating for any of the more popular shows, and after heading back to the hotel room for a nap they are denied entry back into Disneyland due to max capacity.

    How should Disney approach this situation? Clearly these folks have already paid for a magical experience, but perhaps through a lack of planning or foresight, they didn't realize that New Years Eve would hardly provide a magical experience due to the heavy crowds. Should Disney just offer automatic refunds for New Years Eve? Should they overbuild the park with the hope that they would be able to handle more crowds on NYE - while the rest of the year you have space underused?

    You obviously haven't been to Disneyland on New Year's Eve have you? When Disneyland is maxed out, people go to DCA. And a 70 minute wait is a 70 minute wait. It's not like they were told throughout the entire day that the waits would be short. Walking around with the crowds should make it pretty obvious that going back to the hotel for a nap could mean you miss out on even MORE.

    If both Disneyland AND DCA were maxed out then, yah I would consider adding new attractions (or build a third park) to allow more paying customers than the year before.

    And with the word on the street being that New Year's Eve will be a hard ticket item, that might solve most of the problems right there.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I've offered many great solutions to making the experience more magical. Something I learned in Business 101 many years ago: When demand is up and capacity is over the limit, the obvious solution to maintain your margins is the raise the price, which will reduce the number of people coming without reducing the revenue coming in. Less people = more capacity = more people happy.
    That's the thing... your solutions were hardly great. Weekend of NAMM, capacity was NOT over limit but the parking was. That's the entire thread in a nutshell. Disney gave away their parking to convention goers. But with the business mindset, I guess they don't care because they made their money. Right?

    The problem is, Disney didn't make the max potential money within the parks by denying parking to those others who are trying to attend the parks... rather than the convention.


    But yah, I agree with you, Mr. Liver. They shouldn't build another parking structure just to satisfy for this weekend next year, but it looks to me that the Convention should find a way to park their own customers. And if Disney decides to give away their parking again, they should provide more signage to direct guests to other options.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  11. #161

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Today, (Sunday, January 25th, 2009) around 1 PM, the Timon Lot was full, and Disney was making guests make a U-turn shortly after pulling into the private area (to take the cars off Disney Way, which the City of Anaheim requires).

    They were directing the cars to Pummba, which still had spaces open. That had cars making the U-turn going back on Disney Way to the Freeway and then making another U-turn to access the Pummba lot.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  12. #162

    • Glad to hear: Flynn Lives
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    211

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    I think this could be made better with some new attractions with high capacity? coughpeoplemovercough
    Now there is an idea... parking garage far away and put in a people mover to get them to the park.

    I know, expensive idea... but its it long term much more expensive than running all of those Trams? Plus, customer satisfaction increase, never waiting for a tram, etc.

    Anaheim would never go for it,though. Would get to use less premium land for the parking, though, leaving the premium land for more money making endeavors.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

  13. #163

    • rainy day girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    walking in the rain
    Posts
    8,438
    Blog Entries
    68

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Today, (Sunday, January 25th, 2009) around 1 PM, the Timon Lot was full, and Disney was making guests make a U-turn shortly after pulling into the private area (to take the cars off Disney Way, which the City of Anaheim requires).

    They were directing the cars to Pummba, which still had spaces open. That had cars making the U-turn going back on Disney Way to the Freeway and then making another U-turn to access the Pummba lot.
    We got there today at 2, and had no problem being directed up to the only half-filled top level of Mickey & Friends parking structure. Wierd.

    And let me say this in answer to the suggestions of carpooling or taking public transport: I prefer to do neither. I don't like to carpool. I want to get there when I get there, and leave when I want to, without being burdened with somebody else's schedule. And I want a parking spot of my very own, to boot. As for the bus? Forget it. Not gonna happen while I have a perfectly reliable car in good working order to get me there.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

  14. #164

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    2,115

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Plenty of fine speculating, suggestions, debating, wishing and hoping to go around in this thread.

    But once again, I ask...

    Has anyone that is/was angered and/or put out by the recent parking "fiasco" bothered to call ANYONE at Disney to let them know their feelings and ask who might be responsible and what, if anything, they plan to do in the future???

    Or has all of the pent up anger and aggravation just been displayed here for our entertainment? This thread could (will probably) go on for days w/o a resolution to it.

    Seems like a logical next step to me...


  15. #165

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,888

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    As for the bus? Forget it. Not gonna happen.
    So true. I'd rather stay home and watch a Chicken Little marathon than take the bus to Disneyland.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Rock Park - Tracking the parks progress
    By sir clinksalot in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
  2. All Star fiasco.
    By TDLFAN in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
  3. [Car Show Trip Report] Swanx Fall Fiasco, Vallejo, CA 10-13-07
    By Brain Toad in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 07:48 AM
  4. How to handle a fiasco(IMO) by Horizonsfan
    By horizonsfan92 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •