Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    Increase the cost of annual APs by 50%.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    or get rid of the payment plan..
    I have a feeling Disney will endure the parking situation rather then try and lowers the crowds. Seeing many other industries are begging for business, Disney's doing just fine.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    My Friend, You did not read Dark Beer's Friday update I take it.
    There was a big warning regarding the 85,000+ people who were going to be attending one of the largest conferences being held at the Anaheim Convention center with the added Dr. King holiday weekend crowds.
    Try going to the park next weekend preferably on Sunday, things should be much better by then. Oh and by the way, make sure to read Dark Beers update first for any last minute important park news.
    I think the issue is that Disneyland didn't appear to be prepared for the crowds. By comparison on the 4th Disney did the "rent a few traffic cops and borrow some CalTrans signs" strategy. I was a pretty comparable crowd, and while the circumstances were the same in both cases, they appeared to handle it a lot better on the 4th.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• aka the scorpion eater!

this does not sound to convincing for me as I will be there next week... thank god the off site hotel we are staying at is letting us park in the morning when we get to the DLR area and letting us check in later in the day when check in time is.... that way we save ourselves a headache in parking and save 12.00 to the mouse!

But anyhow... I know crowds are insane this weekend but hearing this is starting to make me feel all omg about next friday the 23rd when I go for the celebrate promotion! I get all anxious and nervous in large summer type crowds... And thats one reason I thought January shouldnt be too bad as its usually the one month out of the year where crowds are never too bad [minus new years and MLK weekend]

Should I anticpate the structure getting full and having a large crowd next week?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    My Friend, You did not read Dark Beer's Friday update I take it.
    There was a big warning regarding the 85,000+ people who were going to be attending one of the largest conferences being held at the Anaheim Convention center with the added Dr. King holiday weekend crowds.
    Try going to the park next weekend preferably on Sunday, things should be much better by then. Oh and by the way, make sure to read Dark Beers update first for any last minute important park news.

Oh, I've read his update alright. And yah, I've seen the place when it was really busy before. But I wasn't expected to be turned away completely. And in the end, knowing that it's going to be busy -- that's not the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is that the majority of people don't know what's going on about some convention or whatever. There's always going to be a one. There's always going to be crowds... but this is about alternate parking when the crowds really come. Disney needs to find a way to guide people to where they need to go. It was an absolute mess today.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Oh, I've read his update alright. And yah, I've seen the place when it was really busy before. But I wasn't expected to be turned away completely. And in the end, knowing that it's going to be busy -- that's not the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is that the majority of people don't know what's going on about some convention or whatever. There's always going to be a one. There's always going to be crowds... but this is about alternate parking when the crowds really come. Disney needs to find a way to guide people to where they need to go. It was an absolute mess today.
    Good point Cohete. I doubt the hundreds of cars making U-Turns were saying "Curses! Why didn't I read DarkBeer's column??!!".

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

We ran into a parking nightmare like Coheteboy described back in December. The parking structure was still open but there was no one directing parking and it took us about 45 minutes of circling and re-entering the structure 3 times before we found a spot on the 5th level in the far back. BTW we have handicap plates but there was nothing available fortunately my husband was having a good day and could make the walk but it made us worry and wonder about other disabled folks.

When the structure is packed Disney needs to have CM helping find available spots, not just have people circling over and over.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

It was an absolute mess today.
    There is no more off-season.

For the most part, they've seen to it that times when you can enjoy the park without all the hassle have pretty much gone to Yesterland.

To me, with the economy the way it is it still defies logic to an extent.

This is the way it's gonna be now, and on days it isn't, be pleasantly surprised. So there won't be the need for the "is it gonna be busy on whatever day" threads. We'll still see them, of course.

Again, whatever day, plan on "packed". If it's not, then you've beaten the system.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    There is no more off-season.

For the most part, they've seen to it that times when you can enjoy the park without all the hassle have pretty much gone to Yesterland.

To me, with the economy the way it is it still defies logic to an extent.

This is the way it's gonna be now, and on days it isn't, be pleasantly surprised. So there won't be the need for the "is it gonna be busy on whatever day" threads. We'll still see them, of course.

Again, whatever day, plan on "packed". If it's not, then you've beaten the system.

-- Barry
    As packed as it has been recently I have to wonder if these are spikes, or signs of things to come. Jan was sometimes packed on the weekends in years past as people renew AP's (xmas presents) and people take advantage of after holiday travel bargins. I think Feb/March will be a better indicator of how packed the off season will be, if there is an off season.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    As packed as it has been recently I have to wonder if these are spikes, or signs of things to come. Jan was sometimes packed on the weekends in years past as people renew AP's (xmas presents) and people take advantage of after holiday travel bargins. I think Feb/Marh will be a better indicator of how packed the off season will be, if there is an off season.
    In February, you have the President's holidays as discussed in another thread, with long wekends...and in March "spring break" season starts...so I stand by my previous statement...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

It really is a big problem that they've gotten themselves into. They should have had the Pumba structure done before they started on any DCA work. I don't know what they're going to do when they lose the rest of the lot for Carsland and the Pumbaa lot at the same time. I also think they need to start thinking about another structure or two soon. I fear that quickly after Pumbaa structure opens it will be often filled especially with the demands that APs create. I think they need to look at another structure in the Pinocchio lot since that would be easy to use the exiting tram route. They'd have to move some oversize parking and they should start planning for a DTD parking structure soon too so they are ahead of the game on expanding DTD in the future.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

In February, you have the President's holidays as discussed in another thread, with long weekends...and in March "spring break" season starts...so I stand by my previous statement...
    However in years past the first two weeks of Jan were sometimes a tossup because of reasons previously stated. By Feb it died off, even the weekends weren't that bad. March was usually DEAD until Spring Break... and/or Easter. Then April is pretty quiet (again minus Easter) and the beginning of May...

My concern is that this is harbinger of things to come. If the crowds are the same as they are now then it is to be expected. If they are worse then it could be a serious issue. Right now Jan isn't even over, by March we should have enough data to see if we even get an off season and how crowded the parks are...

• aka the scorpion eater!

Yes, even on our last trip we had to park in the structure and lets just say this... October last year, not too bad on everything in the early morning prior to park opening... but since we had to check out of the hotel we had to park in the structure which we were ok with. So we get parked on Level 2 Daisy, well we have to leave and get someone in West Covina close to where we used to live and immediately went to eat and then go back to the park, we were parked on Level 5 by noon and had a long wait of cars about 15-20 minutes in the structure waiting just to get back in and park again.

Now October which normally is not too bad [no holidays I knew of going on other than it being the weekend before Halloween] we now had to park on level 5 which was almost full to the brim when we parked... not to mention more control needs to be made on how cones are placed on the ramps... We almost got cut off and into an accident with the other car as the cones ended and made you merge... the structure actually is the one part of DL that scares me the most.... lol!

I never thought there would be a lack of parking but there definitely is after that experience.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The "birthday" promotion really seems to have taken off.

Combine that with 2-fers, and AP's of various kinds and the payment plans, and the fact that a lot of SoCal's will be doing more things close to home because of said economic issues...

I hope I'm wrong, TechSkip. I miss the offseason. At least the way it used to be.

-- Barry

• "I Break Things"

The "birthday" promotion really seems to have taken off.

Combine that with 2-fers, and AP's of various kinds and the payment plans, and the fact that a lot of SoCal's will be doing more things close to home because of said economic issues...

I hope I'm wrong, TechSkip. I miss the offseason. At least the way it used to be.

-- Barry
    I was just talking about this privately with a friend but I am just as worried as you are. I think the combination of the economy, monthly AP's, 2fer, and birthdays (which bring in the whole family) is causing issues.

What worries me is the "bargain" effect with the monthly AP's. If people see it as a bargain they may elect to upgrade to a higher AP thereby allowing them to access the park that much more. At some point you get a ballooning PAP level, and that's "free" parking which directly relates to both issues brought up in this thread (no parking spaces and crowded parks). At the very least more AP's is the potential for more Parking passes (most get it since it's $12 a pop otherwise).

The 2fer will obviously be gone by the time Summer is in full swing, so we will be able to see if there is an increase, decrease, or a maintaining of the numbers.

That leaves Birthdays as the only "wild card" and while they are definately popular I am not sure if they are popular enough to get out of state people here when the economy is this bad. Sure locals will show up... but a lot of them are already switching to AP's!

There in a nutshell are my concerns.

• Missing an Angel

When I got to work today at 1:15 they were about to start parking ozone. (The area you drive through just past the toll booths) After they did that they parked the walls that lead up to the toll booths. After they parked that they hard closed the structure at around 3PM and we didn't open it up until 5:15. Another thing that didn't help was a traffic accident in the area. I'm not quite sure of the location but a lady came through my toll booth and said she waited 50 minutes to get there from the freeway.

I know it gets pretty crazy parking at the resort. I just hope everyone here on MC can understand that its not us CM's fault of the way our operation is ran.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast