Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 165
  1. #76

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy Pirate View Post
    On days that we do open Pumba we normally open it around 8-8:30 and shut it down around 1.
    Haha well since I showed up at 5pm that wouldn't have helped me anyway, but thanks for the info!



    Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post
    It's amazing what a little research and common sense can accomplish. I had every intention to visiting this last weekend. Then I found out about Namm, and figured with the MLK weekend it was going to be nuts. So we spent a nice day on the beach instead. Sounds like I made the right call.

    Is there really a parking problem? Or was it just alot of stuff going on this last weekend and people didn't get in and are bummed about it. Because I have visited many times on crazy days and never ever had problems. Other than maybe waiting a long time for a tram, but that's about it. Even when I showed up on some of DL's busiest days (like the 4th of July) yeah the park was packed all to hell, but I always managed to get a spot.

    You definitely made the right call but I don't think any research would have helped you on Sunday. I knew it was going to be busy but I wasn't prepared for what it was.

    I, like you, had ALWAYS managed to find a spot even on crazy days. This one stands out because it was the first time I circled around the entire resort without any luck of getting in. I'm not "bummed" because I can go to Disneyland anytime, but I feel for the others who randomly showed up that day. And I definitely think it needs addressing.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  2. #77

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    *I'd* be bummed! I get ya. But Stuff Happens. It will be interesting to see if it is any different this weekend with no holiday, no massive convention, and no big concert going on at HOB. I get the feeling there will be spots. I'm just not sure if this is something that needs to be addressed. Considering all that was going on it makes sense to me that the situation was what it was.

    To Darkbeer. How come the construction at the Grand Californian hasn't really effected things in the M&F lot? (or has it?) Where do those folks (the construction workers) park?


  3. #78

    • Missing an Angel
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    618

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post

    To Darkbeer. How come the construction at the Grand Californian hasn't really effected things in the M&F lot? (or has it?) Where do those folks (the construction workers) park?
    Not to step on DB's toes but they park in the Simba lot. Or on days that are slow, the PPH structure.

  4. #79

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Just around the riverbend
    Posts
    8,057

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    What time did you show up? Pumbaa is one of those lots that most people don't know about. They're never told to go there so it's one of those "if you know it's there, it's helpful" things.
    I got there around 10:30am so it was still a bit early in the day.


  5. #80

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Man, from what I'm reading about yesterday it sounds like a blessing in disguise.


  6. #81

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    73

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    I've lurked on micechat for a few weeks since I became a deluxe AP last year to keep on the news and never cared enough to post about anything but this thread has got me out of the wood work....

    First and foremost, to the guy attacking the APs...why is it our fault again? Most of us who bought the APs did pay the extra 50 or 60 bucks or whatever it was to add parking. The fee is there, deal with it. As a deluxe AP I usually go about once a week or once every two weeks at most.

    I feel your pain and have seen in the sudden increase in park traffic since the turn of the year. Not even during the holiday season from 11/21 to the new year last year was the park as crowded as it has been the last few times I have went.

    I do echo one of your sentiments as a guest of the park, the monthly payment plan for APs is what is driving the number of APs higher this year compared to last. It's a lot easier on people to pay 20 to 30 a month or even less depending on their pass than paying the hundreds of dollars in one shot. I wish they would do away with it. Combined with the horrible state of the economy people are obviously staying closer to home for their kicks and what better way to do that than DLR?

    Which brings up another point somebody made...if DLR can keep the rate of people in the park what it is through this bad economic time and maintain the park hours without having any scale back at all there that in of itself is a major accomplish when a lot of businesses are doing their best to just tread water right now.

    I went earlier today for a few hours to both parks and neither was particularly crowded but getting there by the time I left at about 1:30 pm. Judging from the small sample of people I had seen there during the day most of them were from out of town.

    Regarding the parking situation, yeah it has gotten pretty bad but such is the times. If I were DLR management I would see no reason to do anything about the situation at all because if the structures are full it's a good indication that the park is busy and making money. Maybe I am not living and dying enough with attending the park. I have almost no qualms about saying this place is too packed today let's go home and have before. Maybe it's time some of you started viewing it the same way.

    Maybe this year is going to be the year from hell as far as people in the park but ultimately DLR is a business, not your personal friend and it would be amazing if they could keep it up.

    I personally do not think this level of craziness is going to hold up. The first weekend of the year was packed from expiring breaks and people wanting to see the christmas stuff up was last time. Last weekend was inexplicably busy, and this weekend you had the NAMM convention. I think in the next few weeks it will hopefully even out starting with Super Bowl weekend into March as the tourist crowd dies down.

  7. #82

    • Awaiting Walt's Return...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    93 Miles North of The ORIGINAL Disneyland
    Posts
    260

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Imagineerfan View Post
    That may be the way you see it, but carpool lanes actually make traffic worse. Studies have shown that on average carpool lanes carry only 7% of the traffic. That means that on a 5 lane feeway 20% of the roadway surface carries only 7% of the traffic and on a 4 lane road, 25% of the roadway surface carries only 7% of the traffic. In addition, studies have shown that the vast majority of carpools (cars with 2 or more people) are ones that would have happened anyway and are not a result of folks who would normally drive alone pairing up. So no, carpool lanes have not worked.

    But back to the main point of the thread, if Disney wants the busiess they need to invest in the required parking to accomodate the desired crowds.
    I think that it may not have worked on the freeway, but with today's economy, a discounted carpool price or an increased single rider price could actually bring more people to a car, just because of parking rates right now.

  8. #83

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    73

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by disney55 View Post
    I think that it may not have worked on the freeway, but with today's economy, a discounted carpool price or an increased single rider price could actually bring more people to a car, just because of parking rates right now.
    Maybe I am being naive or new to the whole DLR thing...but why on earth would someone go to DLR alone? That makes little to no sense.

  9. #84

    • The Dudester
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    385

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    MrLiver, I agree with you on most points (overbuilding park structures for existing parks that are full anyway seems counterproductive, etc.)

    But I must disagree with the degree to which you dismiss the issue. You make a lot of good points that I agree with completely, but if the problem is APs, and the they are basically good for nothing as you seem to imply (not delivering money to the parks, and clogging parking lots/structures) then it is still fully Disney's problem and not all of the innocent people who came to the park to enjoy Disneyland. If what you state is indeed the situation with APs in regard to their lack of benefit to Disney or anyone else, then Disney should do itself a favor and get rid of APs... or at the very least make them much more difficult to obtain. What is the point of Disney offering APs at all, then? They are not creating revenue, as you state, and they clog not only the parking lots but the parks themselves... making life more difficult for the ordinary park guest and hotel guest (the ones who bring in the real dough). It seems to me, via your argument, that doing away with APs altogether would benefit the Disney company AND all the other guests. PLUS you could then fit more of these ordinary money-making machines into the park, thus creating even MORE money! What's to lose? Why doesn't Disney do this? It seems simple enough to me.

    The answer is there is obviously a benefit to the AP that you are not taking into consideration because not only to they continue to offer them, but they are heavily promoting easier ways to get them. They aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. It's not as cut and dry as you seem to think. If the APs are the problem, and they aren't even making money on those people... get rid of them. It doesn't get any plainer than that.

    Again, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I just know it's not as simple as disregarding the problem, or blaming it on APs. The parking situation needs to be remedied. Does that mean they should start paving every square foot they can to fit a car? Not necessarily. They should obviously take things like park capacity into consideration. But something must be done ASAP, whatever steps they take.

  10. #85

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    110

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by KB24 View Post
    Maybe I am being naive or new to the whole DLR thing...but why on earth would someone go to DLR alone? That makes little to no sense.

    incoming fangirl fire in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

  11. #86

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,289
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by KB24 View Post
    Maybe I am being naive or new to the whole DLR thing...but why on earth would someone go to DLR alone? That makes little to no sense.
    First of all, KB24, welcome to MiceChat!

    And while you may not be new to the "whole DLR thing", you are new here - at least as a member.

    And you will find that there are people like me on this board, who come by themselves much of the time. There are advantages.

    Usually, though, in my case it's because the alternative would be to not come at all!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  12. #87

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    There are folks on this board who thinks AP's are the root of all evil. Every single problem can be blamed on AP's. I believe that (to Disney) if AP's were such a problem, they would have no problem in getting rid of them. Bad PR? They just removed a popular section of IASM dispite the bad PR!

    So when it comes to AP's, Disney knows what they are doing. The program makes money. Period. If it didn't, they would be gone.


  13. #88

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    73

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post
    There are folks on this board who thinks AP's are the root of all evil. Every single problem can be blamed on AP's. I believe that (to Disney) if AP's were such a problem, they would have no problem in getting rid of them. Bad PR? They just removed a popular section of IASM dispite the bad PR!

    So when it comes to AP's, Disney knows what they are doing. The program makes money. Period. If it didn't, they would be gone.
    That is crazy though, that's like saying "I hate the season ticket holders for the Lakers or Angels, they have all the good seats and best parking. They should do away with those".

    Disney season tickets are obviously making money for them or they wouldn't offer them at all, plain and simple.

    It wouldn't be in DLR's best business interest to solely count on the tourists or once or twice a year park visitors for revenue. The AP holders in concession and merchandise alone bring in a ton of business to DLR and they pay the premium for the pass.

    I think people will find there is some friction even between APs. I have a deluxe pass and get upset when the park is full likely because the socal select and the bottom tier people have non black out days. But we all have to deal.

  14. #89

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by KB24 View Post

    I think people will find there is some friction even between APs. I have a deluxe pass and get upset when the park is full likely because the socal select and the bottom tier people have non black out days. But we all have to deal.
    yeah, but it really isn't friction between different ap's. I have a pap and like to go when all the other passes are blocked. It seems less crowded to me. I don't think having the other passes is a bad thing though. I have also learned to NEVER go after a long block out period when all passes are allowed back in...talk about crowds.

    With my job I can only go on weekends unless I request days off. If I had weekdays off I would have a socal pass.

  15. #90

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: Fiasco to Park at the Parks - What can be done?

    Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    MrLiver, I agree with you on most points (overbuilding park structures for existing parks that are full anyway seems counterproductive, etc.)

    But I must disagree with the degree to which you dismiss the issue. You make a lot of good points that I agree with completely, but if the problem is APs, and the they are basically good for nothing as you seem to imply (not delivering money to the parks, and clogging parking lots/structures) then it is still fully Disney's problem and not all of the innocent people who came to the park to enjoy Disneyland. If what you state is indeed the situation with APs in regard to their lack of benefit to Disney or anyone else, then Disney should do itself a favor and get rid of APs... or at the very least make them much more difficult to obtain. What is the point of Disney offering APs at all, then? They are not creating revenue, as you state, and they clog not only the parking lots but the parks themselves... making life more difficult for the ordinary park guest and hotel guest (the ones who bring in the real dough). It seems to me, via your argument, that doing away with APs altogether would benefit the Disney company AND all the other guests. PLUS you could then fit more of these ordinary money-making machines into the park, thus creating even MORE money! What's to lose? Why doesn't Disney do this? It seems simple enough to me.

    The answer is there is obviously a benefit to the AP that you are not taking into consideration because not only to they continue to offer them, but they are heavily promoting easier ways to get them. They aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. It's not as cut and dry as you seem to think. If the APs are the problem, and they aren't even making money on those people... get rid of them. It doesn't get any plainer than that.

    Again, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I just know it's not as simple as disregarding the problem, or blaming it on APs. The parking situation needs to be remedied. Does that mean they should start paving every square foot they can to fit a car? Not necessarily. They should obviously take things like park capacity into consideration. But something must be done ASAP, whatever steps they take.


    Good post.

    I think the fact that Disney is making it EASIER for guests to obtain APs is reason to believe that it works. And the belief that AP holders don't spend any money in the parks is one of the stupidest beliefs around. I don't think I've seen anyone bring their own food to Disneyland in a long time either. I know I don't. Certainly the mice chatters spend fortunes a year in eating at the various restaurants alone.. every sunday no less.

    Disney has a 10% discount on merchandise for a reason. They also have a ton of merchandise events for a reason. They all go hand in hand.

    By having X amount of annual passes sold, Disney is definitely ensuring that people will continue to come to the parks, eat their food, buy their merchandise for the rest of the year, or if they play their cards right, the rest of their lives.


    The number of people who are trying to park though... well, I don't think Disney really thought that through.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Rock Park - Tracking the parks progress
    By sir clinksalot in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
  2. All Star fiasco.
    By TDLFAN in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
  3. [Car Show Trip Report] Swanx Fall Fiasco, Vallejo, CA 10-13-07
    By Brain Toad in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 07:48 AM
  4. How to handle a fiasco(IMO) by Horizonsfan
    By horizonsfan92 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •