Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Where is Lincoln??

With the 200th birthday of Abraham Lincoln coming up, and with Obama's fascination with Lincoln we are seeing a huge groundswell of interest in America's Greatest president who was also Walt Disney's idol, so I have to ask the current Disney Co, are you so cheap and short sighted that you couldn't have planned a new and better return of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln? What a missed opportunity, shame.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Where is Lincoln??

I agree. I Obama's inauguration tomorrow is increasing the public's interest of Lincoln. From his train route to Washington to his use of the Lincoln Bible to his visit to the Lincoln Memorial. And his election in and of itself is a realization of Lincoln's legacy.

If it were any other President, Lincoln's 200th birthday would only be of importance to the historians. But with Obama being elected, this shines new light onto Abraham Lincoln and reminds us of everything he stood for. A lot more people and corporations are honoring Lincoln a lot more than they normally would and I personally have seen extra special interest being paid to him.

Disney just missed out on a huge opportunity.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I agree. I Obama's inauguration tomorrow is increasing the public's interest of Lincoln. From his train route to Washington to his use of the Lincoln Bible to his visit to the Lincoln Memorial. And his election in and of itself is a realization of Lincoln's legacy.

If it were any other President, Lincoln's 200th birthday would only be of importance to the historians. But with Obama being elected, this shines new light onto Abraham Lincoln and reminds us of everything he stood for. A lot more people and corporations are honoring Lincoln a lot more than they normally would and I personally have seen extra special interest being paid to him.

Disney just missed out on a huge opportunity.
    I am sure Tony Baxter want's to do something but Management won't let him.

I think the biggest reason we haven't seen a return of Lincoln is the amount of work that the AA needs in order to be brought back into daily use. From what I've heard, Abe is in pretty awful condition right now.

I'm sure if it were a matter of a couple of weeks of cleaning and changing signs this would be a simpler decision, but keep in mind that management (and even WDI) is privy to a much bigger picture than any of us get to see. I have to believe that if it weren't for there being additional obstacles, this would be happening.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• Mischievous Mouse

Yes, the return of a "Great Lincoln" exhibit at DL overdue!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    With the 200th birthday of Abraham Lincoln coming up, and with Obama's fascination with Lincoln we are seeing a huge groundswell of interest in America's Greatest president who was also Walt Disney's idol, so I have to ask the current Disney Co, are you so cheap and short sighted that you couldn't have planned a new and better return of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln? What a missed opportunity, shame.

Well, budget cuts are more important than the occasional opportunity. There appears to be little concern for the long term benefits the park may see if it entails spending any significant (or maybe even insignificant) amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Well, budget cuts are more important than the occasional opportunity. There appears to be little concern for the long term benefits the park may see if it entails spending any significant (or maybe even insignificant) amount of money.
    Of course that comment is totally ignoring all of the plans for Abe that Al talked about in an update a couple of months ago. But hey, if you took that into account, there would not be as much to gripe about.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I miss the Mr. Lincoln show but here's Disney's dilemma:

Keep the 50th anniversary show that few people see everyday

or

Spend big money to put back a show that few people see everyday.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I agree with aashee. Although I feel nostalgic about the Lincoln AA and rather wish my son could see it, I honestly didn't take the opportunity when it was available. It has been a LOT of years since I voluntarily watched that show. If most people are like me, then it really would be a huge waste of money to re-animate Mr. Lincoln. Sounds spooky. Maybe for halloween...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineerfan View Post
    Of course that comment is totally ignoring all of the plans for Abe that Al talked about in an update a couple of months ago. But hey, if you took that into account, there would not be as much to gripe about.

That should be "rumors". And they are not likely to happen if they can't even get Lincoln open.

• A Weather Eye Open

We've already had reports about a completely refurbished Lincoln show, complete with the addition of the current president Obama, from Al Lutz. (It's unclear from the report whether the show would feature Obama permanently, or would feature whoever the sitting President is over the years). Should I dig up the article?

ETA: Well, you guys beat me to it. But clearly they are going to build a new AA or majorly overhaul the current one. I don't think that it will be a problem of "getting Lincoln to work" or anything. And I think it's good to have the emphasis on history in the park. Lincoln is probably the favorite former president of most people in the nation, and he's the idol of not only Obama but was the childhood hero of Walt as well, which was why he got built for Illinois for the World's Fair in the first place.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• It's all about Theme!

So is Lincoln still sitting behind the screen with the set? Or was the entire set removed for the screen?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    We've already had reports about a completely refurbished Lincoln show, complete with the addition of the current president Obama, from Al Lutz. (It's unclear from the report whether the show would feature Obama permanently, or would feature whoever the sitting President is over the years). Should I dig up the article?

ETA: Well, you guys beat me to it. But clearly they are going to build a new AA or majorly overhaul the current one. I don't think that it will be a problem of "getting Lincoln to work" or anything. And I think it's good to have the emphasis on history in the park. Lincoln is probably the favorite former president of most people in the nation, and he's the idol of not only Obama but was the childhood hero of Walt as well, which was why he got built for Illinois for the World's Fair in the first place.

Again, what Al reported was a RUMOR. And a poor one at that. The rumor that I've picked up on is that the Obama/Washington portion was bogus and the rest was running into budget problems.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    So is Lincoln still sitting behind the screen with the set? Or was the entire set removed for the screen?
    The CM at the Opera House indicated that Lincoln was indeed still there, behind the screen for the 50th show.

• Animatronic

As the great Disney animatronic shows got removed one after the other, from America Sings to Country Bears, I found myself visiting Lincoln more and more. I really do miss the show and the amazing historical exhibits they once had along the exit.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast