Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: Little mermaid ride building

Taken from Al lutz's "previews" dated 10/7/08

The ultra-detailed show building themed to a grand seaside pavilion with attached store and water play area sets the tone for what's inside, and the huge, lavish show sets will simply blow people away. The animatronics are everywhere in this ride with one musical production after another, and the Ariel figures in the show are said to be some of the most sophisticated ever produced. Ariel's red hair alone is considered an entirely separate animatronic, because it requires so much machinery and computing power to get it to seemingly flow and float as she sits on a clamshell and sings to passing tourists. (Remember, this attraction mostly takes place "under the sea," so the imagery and special effects bring that to life.
    I guess the phrase, she sits on a clamshell and sings to passing tourists can be misinterpreted to mean an AA will sing to guests outside. But so far no plans of a Ariel barker type thing have surfaced. Ah the joys of internet based fandom.

• Banned User

My problem with the building isn't that its not beautiful, and I do think its magnificent, but I didn't expect them to use the palace of the arts building, couldn't they just gut it out? And I'm praying to god that Ariel is not on top of the building, the palace of the arts I can live with, but not an Ariel statue/animatronic.

• Minion

>>I'm praying to god that Ariel is not on top of the building, the palace of the arts I can live with, but not an Ariel statue/animatronic.<<

I'd like to believe that WDI has a little more class than that. I don't believe this rumor is true.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    My problem with the building isn't that its not beautiful, and I do think its magnificent, but I didn't expect them to use the palace of the arts building, couldn't they just gut it out? And I'm praying to god that Ariel is not on top of the building, the palace of the arts I can live with, but not an Ariel statue/animatronic.
    But you were able to live with the Triton gardens which had a big Ariel statue right there?

Hmm...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    But you were able to live with the Triton gardens which had a big Ariel statue right there?

Hmm...
    Good point, but I don't don't deem it appropriate to have a very stylized sophisticated building with a Disney character plastered on. its like having a Mona Lisa with some cartoons in the background, it just doesn't fit! The building looks too high class for that sorta thing. Oh anyone think the showbuilding looks kinda like the American Waterfront in TDS? hmm its starting to grow on me....... -_-

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The building is going to keep in with the theme of that area and Paradise Pier, so a turn of the century seaside pavilion-looking show building would honestly be a perfect fit.

No one had brought this up yet but we are getting ideas from conceptual art here which yes is subject to change at any time but also they are pieces of a whole and the Ariel could just have been added to show that it will be Ariels Adventure when it is on a larger scale map (like of all of DCA). I do agree an Ariel on top the building would be tacky but I'm pretty confident that it was just a part of the drawing and in no way intended to be physically added to the structure. It's a building not a cake.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123