• Minion

Fake your Beauty

One of the key ingredients in DCA's rebranding is the Walt's California theme. So far all changes relate to California's influence on Walt himself or the distinct mark the Walt Disney Company has left on California. This is a logical approach because it instills a unifying theme to a park on the fringe while establishing a sentimental atmosphere. But is it possible that Walt's California will actually be a feigned attempt to connect to it's audience?

Disneyland achieves powerful relevance and meaning because Walt Disney was personally involved with it. No matter how many changes the park sees, it will always remain "Walt Disney's original Magic Kingdom". Guests are reminded of this fact not only with classic attractions but also subtle tributes a la The partners statue. Disneyland blends craftsmanship, engineering, and art to achieve a genuine sense of magic.

Similar to Disneyland's premiss and theme, DCA will become increasingly Walt centric. New attractions will be supported by the idea that they somehow relate to the Disney legacy no matter how slight or obvious. But could this backfire and turn out to be even more disconnected. Deliberately placing reminders of Walt could prove to be a contrived depiction of charm and meaning in contrast to Disneyland's inherent appeal.

I have no idea what the new DCA will look like let alone feel like. But I hope it's not a transparent representation of Walt's vision of California.

• Minion

Re: Fake your Beauty

*not willing to watch his thread buried, he posts with the desperate hope that someone will chat.*

One of the main reasons I ask this is because of the entry plaza re-design. The 1920's backstory, the new Walt and mickey statue, the whole concept sounds nice but it also seems formulaic. What proves to be a seamless retelling of the Walt Disney story in the Magic Kingdoms world wide, might seem to be an imposed concept in DCA. Did that make sense?

• Banned User

I thought the Walt statue got cut.

• Rock Star Minion

You'll be hardpressed to find anyone here today. I believe that most everyone here has "just won the Super Bowl," so to speak.

Problem really is that everyone has gone over DCA so much that it's not worth discussing anymore. No amount of makeover will fix it to a point where it is "competitive" (I mean, when many people are in the Esplanade area and cannot decide which park to enter, THAT is "competitive") with DL. Footprint is too small, GCH took up too much space and creates noise issues (meaning, hotel guests don't want to hear the noise of the park, not the other way around), doesn't have a "berm" to keep outside world out so Diney can control the perceived environment, etc. It goes on for hundreds of posts in hundreds of threads.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

What sediment said.

DCA is not an adjunct to Disneyland, it is really a competitor. As long as admission prices are relatively the same, most people will make the turn into Disneyland. If DCA were located elsewhere (a significant distance away) it would probably do much better. Right now it is firmly placed in the shadow of Disneyland, and it is never going to be more than the neglected little sister. I enjoy DCA but I don't make the choice to go there when I could be in Disneyland, I've only done 'curiosity' trips, and the Halloween party.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You'll be hardpressed to find anyone here today. I believe that most everyone here has "just won the Super Bowl," so to speak.

Problem really is that everyone has gone over DCA so much that it's not worth discussing anymore...
    Super what? JK. But I really don't don't participate in the various DCA threads so that's part of the reason why I created this thread. Gotta admit it has an awesome title!