Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• that's right!

Re: What would Disneyland be like if Walt died at 100?

Quote Originally Posted by lafantasma
    No Disney cartoons rated PG.
    I hope you're not suggesting that early Disney movies and cartoons would all have been strictly G-Rated.

• All? NO, ALL!

I think Disneyland would be way different, as he added or removed things to his liking. Space Mountain probably would've opened earlier, but as Space Port. Some classic attractions may not have made it as long as they did, though. EPCOT wouldn't have been a theme park, Walt Disney World would just be called Disney World and so on...

• Wonderful World

I think Disneyland would be wayyyy better.Walts imagination was never ending
    I'm back MiceChat

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1
    I think things would just be better. DCA wouldnt be around because he didnt want something like that. Even if he did decide to make a 2nd park where DCA is now, he wouldnt charge us the same price as disneyland, he would be fair and charge less, as they should.

I agree I dont think DCA wouldnt be there.. he never wanted a carnival atmosphere

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Wow, speculating on turns in history can be taken in many directions. What future events should be calculated into this. First of all what is the assumption of Walt's brother, partner and closest confidant, Roy E. Disney. In this alternate reality, did he still die in 1971?

If he lived on, I believe that possibly Roy would have never been able to keep up with Walt's dreams when it came to financing. Not that Roy was a slouch at business, but rather that business practices became very cut throat during the 80's and 90's. The bottom line of these businesses would have eroded the Disney value and allowed the "Wal-Mart" types to stifle growth. Walt and Roy came from the post WWII era of optimism. You can look at this era as a time where bigger was better, however 70's were served a reality check when the oil crisis and conservatism stuck. Ron Miller was challenged with this and failed which opened the door to big business served up by Michael Eisner.

So, with that stated, what if Roy did pass away in 1971. Who would have Walt trusted his secrets with then? Michael Eisner wasn't even a twinkle of a candidate at this time, nor do I want to lay the assumption that I like what he has done. Furthermore, I don't believe Walt would have accepted the Eisner platform as a partner.

Politics aside now, I'm going to guess that it is assumed (yes, I know what assume is, but that is what this thread is about ) that Walt would have found a confidant and partner that had the business savey to finance Walt's dreams. He already had plans for EPCOT, although different. I'm sure he would have completed it, which means that Walt would have at least walked in another park. He would have outdone himself again with WDW. It's hard to say what would have become of Disneyland now that he had Disney WORLD, bigger and better than his original.

It's hard to say what would have become of Disney if Walt would have lived on. There are too many variables. There have been many stories, articles and books written about the thinkings of Walt. Some show how he made decisions while others show how unpredictable his dream could lead the company. Walt's dreams were intrenched in American history and the future. So I throw these things into the mix:

If Walt would have lived to 100, how would he have delt with:

Vietnam (Late 60's-Early 70's)
    Energy crisis of the 70's
    The rebirth of Sci-Fi in the late 70's
    Computer boom of the 80's (i.e. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc.)
    Gulf War (Early 90's)
    Dot Com Boom
    and finally he would have been in his last year as 9/11 struck

Walt was a dreamer, and undeniably one of the best in the last 100 years. Roy was the business man and kept Walt in check. Roy was to Walt as Frank Wells was to Eisner. I guess after all this rambling and precognative thought typing, I've finally come to my point. If Walt would have had a modern day Roy, the sky would have been the limit. We would have a park somewhere that was beyond anything imaginable (at least today.) Without it, I fear, the Disney we know would now only be collectible items on Ebay.
    Last edited by DLandFansAZ; 09-15-2005 at 07:16 PM.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

If he had somehow made it to 100, the park would definetly be one thing: better. I agree with whoever said that.

• Banned User

You guys are forgetting something! E.P.C.O.T would exsist, but Epcot Center would too(with a diffrent name)! Hello!??!?! There have and always will be Imagineers! Walt didn't think up EVERYTHING! Imagineers would think abut it and tell Walt! So im pretty sure WDW would exsist. But as far as DL goes, it would be bigger, better and VERY diffrent, he loved change!

• Senior Minion

The other interesting to think about is, if Walt had lived to 100, what would have happened to the entire Disney Store concept. Would it still have expanded to "everywhere"? Would he have allowed that much dilution of the brand? Would he have exerted tighter control on what was merchandised?

Certainly, any trip to a Disney store would have been magic. Near the end, it was just like walking into a GAP.

• Super saucy pixie!

I think the world would be a different place frankly. Walt did so much more than simply affect change in his theme park. I would assume that people would still have held on to their ideals a bit more, focused on family more than society has in past decades, and there would have been a large focus on the future in a very different way than is standard. Walt had a way of pushing the envelope always for the betterment of humanity. I don't see that quality in many people (if any) who now hold comparable business positions as he did. He definitely passed too soon. I wish there were more people like him!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    Roy was to Walt as Frank Wells was to Eisner.
    That is quite true, and looked what happened to The Walt Disney Company after Wells was killed.
    Eisner imploded.
    I hate to say it, but without a "Roy" to counter-balance his creativity and his "If you build it they will come" mindset, Walt could have possibly run the company into the ground.
    On the other hand, Walt had an uncanny knowledge of what the public wanted, even before the public knew it. He was very intuitive like that. I think that is why his staff had so much faith in him. They truly believed in the man. And if Walt said," Build it... they will come", it would be built and the public would more than likely be thrilled with whatever Walt had set out for them.
    Other than the circus, I can't think of many failures that Walt had at Disneyland. Help me out if you can think of others. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the guy knew what the public would like.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Animatronic

With Disneyland taking his time, Walt paid little attention to the movie business (Mary Poppins excepted). There's a possibility that had E.P.C.O.T. worked as a city, Walt would have been contracted to redesign Los Angeles. He would have pulled the best artists and engineers off Disneyland and Disneyworld and the parks might have suffered the same why Disney films suffered when Walt lost interest in them. Of course we'd all be living in a utopia, so we might not need Disneyland as much.

• out & about

HEAVEN!

(you know... if Walt hadnt died)
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• secure all cargo

posted by DLandFansAZ
    ...If he lived on, I believe that possibly Roy would have never been able to keep up with Walt's dreams when it came to financing. Not that Roy was a slouch at business, but rather that business practices became very cut throat during the 80's and 90's. The bottom line of these businesses would have eroded the Disney value and allowed the "Wal-Mart" types to stifle growth. Walt and Roy came from the post WWII era of optimism. You can look at this era as a time where bigger was better, however 70's were served a reality check when the oil crisis and conservatism stuck...
    If Walt had lived to supervise the opening of EPCOT as originally conceived, and EPCOT had been successful on some level, then who's to say that the post WWII era of optimism would have ended in the 70's? EPCOT's potential success might have conceivably delayed the growth of post-modernism a bit further (although it admittedly would have faced stiff competition from the Vietnam War). The 80's "decade of me" and it's commonplace corporate raiding, which was a natural reaction to the 70's "reality check," might then itself have been delayed. Roy would have been something like 88 yrs old in 1980, would have been long retired anyway, and wouldn't have had to deal with it.

...Ron Miller was challenged with this and failed which opened the door to big business served up by Michael Eisner...
    To tangent from the thread even further.... In defense of Ron Miller, he was CEO from 83-84 only, and under his longer tenure as president, he was considered the driving force behind the creation of Touchstone Pictures, served as producer for the 1st film in history to utilize computer animation for special effects, and his pet project was The Disney Channel. He tried to bring Disney from 1966 into the 80's, but ended up being scapegoated for the gradual mess his well-intentioned predecessors Card Walker and Don Tatum had left behind.

• =)

I agree that original franchises would be a little more commonplace in Disneyland than they are now. Not so much as some people think--after all, Walt devoted an entire land to movie-based attractions, and movie franchises were celebrated throughout the park. But rides like HM and POTC were also Walt's brainchildren (is that even a word?), and I think a healthy, nonagenarian Walt would have come up with at least two more E-tickets of that caliber.

I would love to see an original Tomorrowland dark ride. Put the show building back behind Space Mountain, in the backstage area where overflow crowds are occasionally rerouted. Although, if Walt had lived longer, Star Tours might never have entered the park--in which case, Adventure thru Inner Space could have been replaced by this new dark ride.

I agree that Disneyland would have been better if Walt had lived longer. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking that all of Disneyland's little problems would be swept away.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    The Submarines would still exist.

Why?

Without the need to regulate the temperature in the chamber under the Matterhorn storing his frozen head, the Submarine Lagoon would have been drained and tended to a decade ago. Unfortunately, the large body of water was necessary for cooling. Fortunately, advances in cryogenic storage over the last few years have made water-cooling methods obsolete. During the last major Matterhorn refurb, the cryo-chamber was retrofitted with a new cooling system and work on the lagoon was allowed to move forward.
    Well the subs do still exist and they are being brought back. They were in storage for the last few years though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast