Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland 1st, then food

Disneyland Jewelry made with lead...

What is up with this? My girls love to wear their jewelry, but now I won't buy it for them. I'm no lead expert, but this scares me.

• No bacon; sausage.

Re: Disneyland Jewelry made with lead...

Quote Originally Posted by luvindsnylnd
    What is up with this? My girls love to wear their jewelry, but now I won't buy it for them. I'm no lead expert, but this scares me.
    There was a manufacturing problem that led (no pun intended) to some Disney merchandise to have lead levels that were slightly above the threshold for needing a prop 65 warning. However, that threshold is EXTREMELY low. The prop covers several different chemicals, so it changes somewhat, but the basic rule is that the lower threshold is an amount that, after 70 years of exposure results in a 1 in 100,000 chance of causing problems.

So the chances of your daughters being affected by this are slim to none.

California is so messed up. Virtually everything has to have a warning label on it in that state. I recently bought the Oogie Boogie candy dish from Disney Direct and it came with a California Prop 65 warning for containing chemicals know to cause cancer in lab rats. Hello, it's a cermaic candy dish. I'm not going to eat it. I think they stuck these warning sheets in every box just in case some of them were shipped to Ca addresses. Almost every time we buy something from Disney Direct we get those warning sheets.

If anything in those products were truely dangerous they wouldn't be sold in the first place. It's just California over reacting as usual.
    Last edited by JangoFett; 09-15-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    Hello, it's a cermaic candy dish. I'm not going to [eat] it.
    Well, in minor defense, many of these chemicals, especially lead, have a tendency to leach into foods. It's probably a good idea not to serve acidic foods on plates with lead in them.

But that being said, the thresholds for these warnings are so ludicrously low as to completely devoid the warnings of meaning. If the same stuipd warning label goes on a product that MIGHT kill a mouse that's been fed it's body weight of the stuff for 70 years as on a product that's got enough lead to cause development problems in a child after a mere year of exposure, the consumer is left with only two choices: Avoid everything in a paranoid attempt to be safe, or assume the levels are near the lower, meaningless threshold and risk actual dangerous exposure.

Freaking ridiculous.

• Banned User

If it were truly something to worry about... wouldn't it be a federal warning? Not just a state warning?

My Christmas lights all come packaged now with "warning: product known to cause cancer in the state of California" - HELLO? Christmas lights? I've been playing with these things since I was a kid... if it were true, I'd be dead by now!

Quote Originally Posted by MSEPLightningBug
    If it were truly something to worry about... wouldn't it be a federal warning? Not just a state warning?
    If it were truly something to worry about it wouldn't even be allowed to be sold.

My Christmas lights all come packaged now with "warning: product known to cause cancer in the state of California" - HELLO? Christmas lights? I've been playing with these things since I was a kid... if it were true, I'd be dead by now!
    Based on all of the warnings on EVERYTHING now all of us should be dead!
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

My Christmas lights all come packaged now with "warning: product known to cause cancer in the state of California"
    Good thing you live in Arizona then.
    Stupid California.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disneyland 1st, then food

Thanks everyone!! I feel a lot better. I knew you smart people here on micechat would have answers for me!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    California is so messed up. Virtually everything has to have a warning label on it in that state. I recently bought the Oogie Boogie candy dish from Disney Direct and it came with a California Prop 65 warning for containing chemicals know to cause cancer in lab rats. Hello, it's a cermaic candy dish. I'm not going to eat it. I think they stuck these warning sheets in every box just in case some of them were shipped to Ca addresses. Almost every time we buy something from Disney Direct we get those warning sheets.

If anything in those products were truely dangerous they wouldn't be sold in the first place. It's just California over reacting as usual.
    I moved out of Cali a few years ago. California pretty much IS a warning label LOL.

• Disneyland Cast Member

Last Halloween I bought my nephew a Superman costume. The cape had a label that read, "Cape does not allow user to fly".
    Also there are prop 65 warnings on the doors to all supermarkets here in California.

Yep, California is truly psycho. Tom simplify things with Prop 65, EVERY bit of merchandise you buy from Disney now prints out a 'cancer warning' receipt. Go the Emporium, buy a pen or an antenna ball topper- you'll get it too, whether it has lead or not. It's pretty funny. Thank you Prop 65! It's wasting paper whatsoever. Nevermind that even on the affected jewlrey I would probably have to eat several hundred pounds of it anyways, but nonetheless, now we have printed warnings on T-shirts and guidemaps!
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• DisneylandDan

The armstrong type rubber bracelets come with that label now, my friend wears 3 of them so maybe hes got 3 times the exposure uh ooo j/k

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster
    The armstrong type rubber bracelets come with that label now, my friend wears 3 of them so maybe hes got 3 times the exposure uh ooo j/k
    Work yourself into that will, they should be kicking the bucket anyday now!
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Hey, that's not Rose!

WTF?!?! So if I take my same lights from here in cali over to south carolina then I am safe? Ummm.....I have never heard of this prop 65, does that make me stupid.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Waiting for the stork

Ok come on...even coffee has warnings
    *contents of cup may be extreamly hot*
    (I should hope so, or I want my money back)

everything is full of warnings.
    I should put a warning on my front door
    *caution, sarcasm and dark humor within...studies in the state of California have shown this may damage your funnybone*
    procrastibating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast