Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: How often does DLR celebrate ride anniversaries?

Last year was the 40th anniversary of POTC, one of the all time classics, and all they did was release a commemorative popcorn bucket (which I'm proud to own). Aside from that, I suppose there was a special pin, but I didn't see anything else offered when we visited DL last May. Hopefully they'll at least release something like that for the other anniversaries coming up.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 01-31-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Wow I can't believe Splash is 20 already. The years indeed do fly by fast.

• Sock Puppet

^^^^^

Yeah, I remember watching it being built.

20 years? Yikes!

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyfilms View Post
    Indy just had its 10th birthday. Just curious. Thanks.
    I believe Indy's 10th b-day was a while back, in '05 wasn't it?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Iron-Clad Allie

The only consistant factor about the anniversary celebrations is that they all occur in crements of five or ten years.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Last year was the 40th anniversary of POTC, one of the all time classics, and all they did was release a commemorative popcorn bucket (which I'm proud to own). Aside from that, I suppose there was a special pin, but I didn't see anything else offered when we visited DL last May. Hopefully they'll at least release something like that for the other anniversaries coming up.
    Actually, Two Years ago, there was a Merchandise Event on March 17th, 2007. Some of the merchandise offered at that time is on this micechat topic: Pirates 40th Event Updated w/New Merchandise, including JEWELRY!!! Photos! AHRRRRR!!

The official Disney website showing the merchandise is no longer available, but some of the other merchandise offered included mugs, ceramic coasters, various prints (mostly in the brown tones, with characters done in more geometric shapes) Olzewski released and had a signing for the Pirates Gallery of Light Jail scene, and a small box designed like a treasure chest. March 18, 2007 Pirates of the Caribbean 40th Signing Event

here's the Disney site for the 4oth merchandise event for pirates:
    Walt Disney Parks & Resorts - Events, Product Releases & Promotions - Disneyland - Pirates of the Caribbean 40th Anniversary Product Release & Signing (Updated 3/15/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The only consistant factor about the anniversary celebrations is that they all occur in crements of five or ten years.
    Not exactly, in 2000, there was the infamous 33rd Anniversary Event for Pirates of the Caribbean. In 1999, DL did have a special map, and Mountain quest for DL's 44th Birthday. Finding Nemo subs had a special pin for their 1st Anniversary, As did DCA for it's 1st Anniversary. And don't forget, they had special events for the 1st 4 years of the Haunted Mansion Holiday, and even though they called it the 20th Anniversary of Nightmare Before Christmas, it really was just merchandise event primarily about the Haunted Mansion Holiday in October 2008 . You just never know, what thing they might celebrate, or miss celebrating.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Actually, Two Years ago, there was a Merchandise Event on March 17th, 2007. Some of the merchandise offered at that time is on this micechat topic:
    The official Disney website showing the merchandise is no longer available, but some of the other merchandise offered included mugs, ceramic coasters, various prints (mostly in the brown tones, with characters done in more geometric shapes) Olzewski released and had a signing for the Pirates Gallery of Light Jail scene, and a small box designed like a treasure chest.

Not exactly, in 2000, there was the infamous 33rd Anniversary Event for Pirates of the Caribbean. In 1999, DL did have a special map, and Mountain quest for DL's 44th Birthday. Finding Nemo subs had a special pin for their 1st Anniversary, As did DCA for it's 1st Anniversary. And don't forget, they had special events for the 1st 4 years of the Haunted Mansion Holiday, and even though they called it the 20th Anniversary of Nightmare Before Christmas, it really was just merchandise event primarily about the Haunted Mansion Holiday in October 2008 . You just never know, what thing they might celebrate, or miss celebrating.
    Yeah. I guess you're right. The evets are liable to be at anytime, and for anything. There's no predictable rhyme nor reason. But, that's alright. It makes things interesting.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-01-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

RW, WOW!!!! Congratulations!!!! 29,000 posts!!!!!

Unbelievable!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    I wish they'd have a celebration of some sort for Splash Mountain's 20th this year, but I'm afraid it's going to be overshadowed by the Mansion's 40th. I'd love some decent merchandise with the Brer characters on it.
    Of all the rides mentioned here that seem to deserve a celebration/merchandise event... I, too, would LOVE to see Splash get one.

However, do you think the controversy surrounding the movie (Song Of The South) might be a reason they are reluctant to hold such an event?

Maybe Disney is playing it safe...?

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyfilms View Post
    Of all the rides mentioned here that seem to deserve a celebration/merchandise event... I, too, would LOVE to see Splash get one.

However, do you think the controversy surrounding the movie (Song Of The South) might be a reason they are reluctant to hold such an event?

Maybe Disney is playing it safe...?
    I suppose that's a possible reason, but I personally doubt it. I'm not sure how many people (especially younger) these days have ever seen Song of the South. I personally really like the movie and, in my opinion, Uncle Remus is made out to be the hero and the whites are the ones who need a clue. I'm white, so I guess I don't understand the upsetting issues. My understanding is this is set after slavery was ended, so I just see the white lady as a boss and Uncle Remus as an employee. Color doesn't matter. Of course, maybe I'm one of Reverend Lowery's "whites" who need to "embrace what is right."

As for a Splash Mountain celebration, the ride is amazingly popular and there seems to be very little "Brer" merchandise out there. I don't know why Disney wouldn't milk that market a little bit. But, they'd probably have to do it in the summer, when the ride is even more popular and before it would conflict with the Mansion celebration. With nothing announced as of now, I'd guess a Splash Mountain event is a no-go, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    I suppose that's a possible reason, but I personally doubt it. I'm not sure how many people (especially younger) these days have ever seen Song of the South. I personally really like the movie and, in my opinion, Uncle Remus is made out to be the hero and the whites are the ones who need a clue. I'm white, so I guess I don't understand the upsetting issues. My understanding is this is set after slavery was ended, so I just see the white lady as a boss and Uncle Remus as an employee. Color doesn't matter. Of course, maybe I'm one of Reverend Lowery's "whites" who need to "embrace what is right."

As for a Splash Mountain celebration, the ride is amazingly popular and there seems to be very little "Brer" merchandise out there. I don't know why Disney wouldn't milk that market a little bit. But, they'd probably have to do it in the summer, when the ride is even more popular and before it would conflict with the Mansion celebration. With nothing announced as of now, I'd guess a Splash Mountain event is a no-go, unfortunately.
    I could not agree more with your sentiments about the film. I love that movie!

Social attitudes are always changing...usually for the better. Maybe we will get lucky and get a 100th Anniversary DVD release in 2046!

I will be 71. Heh.

• Banned User

I suppose that's a possible reason, but I personally doubt it. I'm not sure how many people (especially younger) these days have ever seen Song of the South. I personally really like the movie and, in my opinion, Uncle Remus is made out to be the hero and the whites are the ones who need a clue. I'm white, so I guess I don't understand the upsetting issues.
    The movie is the victim of rampant, mindless, knee jerk political correctness. I'll leave it at that, otherwise you guys will be treated to a three page rant on the subject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12