Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Really do not like the smell of recycled cooking oil D.L railroad is moving to.

While I can understand why the park is looking to recycle its abundant source of vegetable oil as well as looking towards saving money on fuel costs. I really cannot stand the smell of vehicles powered by veggie oil. It makes me very nauseous.

Considering smells are very powerful response systems in the brain and humans connect smells and memories, is the smell of rancid veggie oil really the smell we want the world to remember their entrance to Disneyland by?

Any time I am behind a car that runs of veggie oil I feel very nauseous. I for one am not looking forward to this DLRR conversion to this veggie oil.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here but I hope they figure out some way to mask the nauseating smell of veggie oil, especially at the main gates and especially on the DisneyLand railway. There must be some sort of additive that can neutralize the smell or something right?

Re: Really do not like the smell of recycled cooking oil D.L railroad is moving to.

It honestly doesn't smell that bad at all.

Re: Really do not like the smell of recycled cooking oil D.L railroad is moving to.

I've yet to sniff it...not till Thursday.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Sock Puppet

Personally, I have two diesel vehicles and I won't touch the stuff.

Not only does it cost more, but it has been known to damage certain components of the fuel and exhaust emissions systems.

It's a nice gesture though...

• =)

I haven't smelled it yet.

There is really no comparison between an internal combustion diesel and a steam engine's external combustion. There are no pumps or injectors. The fuel simply gravity feeds from the tender, through a couple of valves (at least a shut off and a firing valve). I haven't seen Disney's burners but I suspect they have a jet of steam that atomizes the oil for to make it burn. They will run on many different kinds of fuels with varing degrees of success.

Steve

• Banned User

I was there yesterday and I didn't smell it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    I was there yesterday and I didn't smell it either.
    The full conversion of the DisneyLand railroad to veggie oil is pending and not fully completed yet. Hence the reason why you most probably did not smell it yet.

• always, the freaky cat

On its own, is the smell of diesel all that much better than vegetable oil? Or is it the memories associated with the diesel?

Our children and grandchildren, every time they fry up something in the kitchen, will take a whiff and be instantly transported back (in their memory) to Disneyland... and they'll wonder how anyone could have ever liked the smell of diesel. Maybe.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by steveb48 View Post
    There is really no comparison between an internal combustion diesel and a steam engine's external combustion. There are no pumps or injectors. The fuel simply gravity feeds from the tender, through a couple of valves (at least a shut off and a firing valve). I haven't seen Disney's burners but I suspect they have a jet of steam that atomizes the oil for to make it burn. They will run on many different kinds of fuels with varing degrees of success.

Steve
    You are correct.

I again reiterate for the OP and others, while you may have enjoyed the aroma of the past and associate fond memories of the trains with it, the time has come where we must face the prospect of either having the trains burn alternative fuel--or eliminating operating steam powered locomotives from the line altogether. For me, the choice is easy. While nothing is imminent, there was a reason the switch was made.

I suggest we get used to the new smell--if you want to see the trains continue operating on steam.

That said, the engineers burn so cleanly that there's not too much aroma caused.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You are correct.

I again reiterate for the OP and others, while you may have enjoyed the aroma of the past and associate fond memories of the trains with it, the time has come where we must face the prospect of either having the trains burn alternative fuel--or eliminating operating steam powered locomotives from the line altogether. For me, the choice is easy. While nothing is imminent, there was a reason the switch was made.

I suggest we get used to the new smell--if you want to see the trains continue operating on steam.
    I stand behind you Steve, all the way. Where my nose is concerned, I would much rather breath in the biproducts of vegetable oil than deisel.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-30-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• I'm not really here

Amen Steve. Well said. It's not like an internal combustion engine burning oil. These are steam engines and it's a bit different.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You are correct.

Thanks Steve for that informative post.
    While of course I am very happy this will hopefully extend the operation due to fiscal concerns (although in the short term this will cost more money in fuel costs) I still think the smell of veggie oil is bad. Now the autopia and the Steam engines used to run on Diesel correct? The diesel fired tenders of the steam engines never had anywhere near the bad smell that Autopia's exhaust has.

I have a few friends that have Veggie oil cars, the exhaust from their vehicles smell absolutely horrible, now that may have something to do with where they are getting the veggie oil etc. But I do know that as much as I hate to be behind a old diesel vehicle in traffic, I much prefer it to being behind a Veggie Oil car. They truly make me sick to my stomach, as bad as diesel smells, veggie oil smells worse. But for the purpose of keeping steam engines operating at DL I will have to learn to deal with it, but I do still hope there might be some sort of additive that could enhance or mask the aroma of the burning veggie oil.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Thanks Steve for that informative post.
    While of course I am very happy this will hopefully extend the operation due to fiscal concerns (although in the short term this will cost more money in fuel costs)
    Remember--much of the oil supplied will be from Disney themselves, so there may be a monetary benefit in addition to the benefits of going green--which was the overriding concern. I'm sure the managers would like to save money, but in this case, the fiscal implications were secondary.

Because of the differing natures of internal combustion and external combustion, the use of steam in firing, the use of different lubricating oils between autos and steam engines, you may find that the bio diesel burned in the locomotives smells nothing at all like your friends' vehicles (this is just an assumption on my part--I'm sure we'll hear more and more as this change takes place). I'd be interested to hear your take once you actually smell the trains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast