Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Special Agent

Re: Haunted Mansion: Victorian/Scary Christmas overlay idea

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Overall, I feel it would be a lot more subdued take on the holiday, not fancy or elaborate for the most part, but a lot more fitting to what the Mansion is about in it's usual incarnation. Your thoughts?
    I think you missed the point. The draw of the overlay is the Nightmare franchise itself. People go to see Jack Skellington. Just decorating the mansion for Christmas just wouldn't be that interesting. And you make such a strong argument for keeping the mansions original feel that you might as well leave it as the classic Haunted Mansion for the holidays and ditch the overlay idea altogether.

I think you also forgot that the Nightmare overlay successfully integrates two holidays together: Halloween and Christmas, and that the Mansion is one of the great additions for Halloween Time.

Hmm...here is a potential first verse for the narration. I will need to work on the rest of it. Let me know what you all think!

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the mansion
    Were cackles and cracks of a spirited fashion
    A sense of longing and doom filled the air
    would it’s holiday guests soon be there?
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

My problem is that it is too subdued. I remember when I heard they were doing a NMBC overlay, I thought it would be a few small scattered props, kind of like what they did to the Jungle Cruise for Indy. I was pleasantly suprised to see that the entire attraction was done up and had a whole different approach. I can understand why some people don't appreciate it, but for me it works.

With your proposal, it reminds me of what I was expecting the overlay to be. Nothing to write home about. If you are going to change an attraction for a Holiday, change the attraction not a few details.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    And you make such a strong argument for keeping the mansions original feel that you might as well leave it as the classic Haunted Mansion for the holidays and ditch the overlay idea altogether.

I think you also forgot that the Nightmare overlay successfully integrates two holidays together: Halloween and Christmas, and that the Mansion is one of the great additions for Halloween Time.
    To your first point...absolutely, if they were just to leave it alone as the original Mansion for the holidays, that is what I would truly want. But....the parks division seems to be hell-bent on making overlays, so if they truly had to, I'd want something more thematically appropriate, unique, but yes, subtle overall.

As for successfully integrating them....well, that is a matter of opinion, and I respect yours...if you, and others, enjoy the HMH overlay and think it works...which it seems a lot of people, in the general public do as well...that's fine with me. I just disagree for my own reasons, and personally don't enjoy it anymore. You enjoying it is certainly welcome...but that doesn't mean I have to, and I say that with all respect.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    My problem is that it is too subdued. I remember when I heard they were doing a NMBC overlay, I thought it would be a few small scattered props, kind of like what they did to the Jungle Cruise for Indy. I was pleasantly suprised to see that the entire attraction was done up and had a whole different approach. I can understand why some people don't appreciate it, but for me it works.

With your proposal, it reminds me of what I was expecting the overlay to be. Nothing to write home about. If you are going to change an attraction for a Holiday, change the attraction not a few details.
    First off, let me say...if HMH as a overlay works for you, that is good....I am glad you enjoy it. Personally, I don't anymore. And my issues with it aren't in the scale of the changes or additions, it is in the style all the changes are in. I flat out dislike the cartoony nature of it contrasting with the real Mansion...that is my issue, not how much they changed all the scenes.

Secondly.....HM is in it's normal operation, a far more subtle and intimate attraction than say, Pirates, or Splash....which rely on primarily large scenes of AA figures or wide vistas to tell a story. Mansion is about subtle effects...a almost whispering voice narrating your way along the corridors, a single floating candelabra far away from you, distant ghostly voices. The graveyard is the one scene comparable in having numerous AA's near to you, and even then, they are separated from you and each other....the Nightmare additions for me far overshadow the more subtle, eerie first half of the ride, the loading area through to Madame Leota's seance circle, in filling it with loud noises and bright colors that to me...don't work at all. That is why I suggest a subtle approach...it still reeks of Christmas, and is different than the normal Mansion...but it fits in with the decor, as if the ghosts found a musty, dirty old box of christmas decorations in the attic and decided to put them out, for fun. If you view that as nothing to write home about, fine by me...I don't claim to be a theme park designer, or have the definitive answer to what a great overlay would be. Thank you for your thoughts, and I appreciate your view of the current overlay...I just personally disagree, is all.

• Inhospitable about happy

I hate to say it, but I essentially agree with Mr. Liver on this one. Whatever the artistic merits of the proposal, it's all academic, since the HMH remains popular. As long as it does, and as long as Disney has the rights, that's what you're going to get for the holiday overlay. If the time ever comes to retire it, it will be because folks are tired of it and don't want to see it anymore. At that point, I doubt that Disney will start shopping around for ideas for another Christmas overlay, since anything they might come up with (including Darkfairy's concept) would inescapably wind up being compared to the HMH. To the average Joe, the tasteful creation described here would seem like "HMH lite."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I hate to say it, but I essentially agree with Mr. Liver on this one. Whatever the artistic merits of the proposal, it's all academic, since the HMH remains popular. As long as it does, and as long as Disney has the rights, that's what you're going to get for the holiday overlay. If the time ever comes to retire it, it will be because folks are tired of it and don't want to see it anymore. At that point, I doubt that Disney will start shopping around for ideas for another Christmas overlay, since anything they might come up with (including Darkfairy's concept) would inescapably wind up being compared to the HMH. To the average Joe, the tasteful creation described here would seem like "HMH lite."
    Thank you for the thoughts, HBG2....and actually...I agree. I mean...Disney owns it, and they own the Nightmare rights...they will keep doing the overlay as long as the like, and I know plenty of people still queue up for it, and enjoy it...nothing I can do about that, nor do I want to....if people enjoy it, more power to them. I just personally dislike it....but in the long run, what i suggest or think of it doesn't matter really...it's the park's call. I may think the overlay is a wretchedly bad idea and badly executed, for myself....and I do.....but it works for Disney, so I don't realistically expect it to go away, as it pleases most of the guests.

The best present I could hope for is for a holiday season free of overlays for HM, and just let the classic attraction stand on it's own merits year round. That would be my optimal situation.....I in no way expect Disney parks to see things the same way though, all this discussion and my ideas are for precisely two things....fun, and discussion.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 02-01-2009 at 02:20 PM.

• Vikings > Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Great idea! I like this idea!! But love HMH!!!!!! maybe u can have the narriation but add some more effects and plz keep the presents room but add Locke, Jocke, and Jarrel or Darrel?
    Lock, Shock, and Barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123