Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Haunted Mansion: Victorian/Scary Christmas overlay idea

Many of you by now will know my feelings on Haunted Mansion Holiday...while I like and enjoy the film Nightmare Before Christmas and the characters, I feel, simply put, that the cartoony/stylized world of that film doesn't combine well with the "realistic" Mansion. However...that is not to say I don't feel something couldn't be done for Christmas for our beloved HM.

The first key would be...ditch the "clever" tweaks like the snow hill, the Christmas presents with stylized creepy wrapping paper, the snowmen made of pumpkins, and the like. Leave the Mansion alone for Halloween, then have it go down for some of November to receive the Christmas elements.

And what would those elements be, you ask? I actually rather like the rhyming narration idea, based on The Night Before Christmas poem, so come up with a new narration and couplets, ignoring the Nightmare elements, that are Mansion specific, such as: (and this will be lame, I'm no poet..but as an example) "Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the manse, happy haunts were gathering for a macabre dance". I know....it sucks. But along those lines.

As for added visual elements....the gargoyles in the stretching room could gain black, dead wreaths hung from them, and rotting, "old" silver tinsel hung along the changing portrait hall, as if the ghosts themselves decorated with vintage materials they had lying around. Have a skeletal but realistic dead Christmas tree in the limbo/boarding area strung with purple lights, and dead wreaths throughout the corridor of doors. Madame Leota could retain her original narration, but some additional props could be found in the seance circle, perhaps a levitating small Christmas tree in the cabinet behind her. As for the ballroom, the current setup is pretty good, layout wise, with a large gnarled tree, but add realistically wrapped old presents covered in dust, and rotted stockings hanging from the fireplace, and perhaps a cooked turkey that turns into the bird's skeleton in time with the ghosts vanishing. The organist, of course, and throughout the attraction as well, could benefit from low-key, somber versions of carols, as they played the first few years of HMH.

Once into the attic, leave the Constance husband portraits and vanishing head effect for them, but temporarily have Connie herself go dark and silent, draped in flowing material and lit blue, a la the old bride, holding her axe which will be a physical prop this time, with black ribbon wound around it and a bow on top. If I had my way, they might reintroduce one or two pop-up heads to the scene as well, to groan out "Merry Christmas" or "Season's greetings" in off-key, moaning voices as they rise, overall keeping elements of the new attic but having some ties to the pre-Connie edition as well, and some old presents could go in here as well. For the graveyard, a few patches of the fake snow might be welcome, but not all over the place. Add more of the purple-lights dead Christmas trees to scenes, but leave the Grim Grinning Ghosts song intact. A small tribute here to the former Nightmare version could be placed, a single flickering pumpkin perhaps further back on top of a crypt or tombstone, carved to look like Jack Skellington with a Santa hat perched on top.

As for the Hitchhiking Ghosts, leave the gag intact, but simply add them holding presents for the mirror gag when they appear in the doombuggies. Little Leota at the end would retain her standard narration, but have a underscore of one of the pipe organ style arrangments of a christmas carol, perhaps carol of the bells, underneath.

Overall, I feel it would be a lot more subdued take on the holiday, not fancy or elaborate for the most part, but a lot more fitting to what the Mansion is about in it's usual incarnation. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 01-31-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Re: Haunted Mansion: Victorian/Scary Christmas overlay idea

I love it! It's a great idea and would fit much better than the neon disaster that they currently have. Great
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Big Al fan

Great idea!
    "There was.....blood on the saddle, and.....blood all around, and a great big, puddle of .....blood on the ground."

-Big Al-

Come visit my blog Disney in Review over at
    http://disneyfanreviews.blogspot.com/

• Minion

Great idea! I like this idea!! But love HMH!!!!!! maybe u can have the narriation but add some more effects and plz keep the presents room but add Locke, Jocke, and Jarrel or Darrel?
    Last edited by Dlandclub33; 01-31-2009 at 03:10 PM.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Ditto...I absolutely ADORE HMH, and your idea, while it sounds nifty, unfortunately doesn't do it for me. Sorry!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• =)

I would spring for this 100%. A Christmas overlay that didn't destroy the style and spirit of the attraction would be welcome.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Ditto...I absolutely ADORE HMH, and your idea, while it sounds nifty, unfortunately doesn't do it for me. Sorry!
    No worries....if you prefer HMH, that's fine by me...just I feel differently about it. Agree to disagree type of situation.

• Big Al fan

I like HMH, but this just fits the theme of the attraction. Great job, I must say it again!
    "There was.....blood on the saddle, and.....blood all around, and a great big, puddle of .....blood on the ground."

-Big Al-

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by MrPotatoHead View Post
    I like HMH, but this just fits the theme of the attraction. Great job, I must say it again!
    Well thank you very much, you honor me...just seems like a no-brainer to me, heh...but sadly I don't have the influence to implement this, seeing as I'm a non-Disney employed line cook, not an Imagineer heh.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

I love that idea!!

I hate HMH now. It was nice during its first three seasons, but now it has overstayed its welcome. The only thing I like about HMH now is the exterior at night.

It's just that the present HMH elements are such a drastic difference to that of the elements of the original mansion. They clash horribly!

I think a more "rotting and subtle" (like you suggested) Christmas show is in store.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• Big Al fan

Would the facade have dead wreaths and garland and such?

-Big Al-

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by MrPotatoHead View Post
    Would the facade have dead wreaths and garland and such?
    I could certainly see that happening, but in recent years off and on they have had a large black funeral wreath out front, so that might just stick around as well.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I tolerate HMH and would not miss it if it left. I think your idea is much better!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

while I have never been to HMH, I think your idea fits the HM much better. I like the rotting stocking idea. VERY cute!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Your idea would make for a highly entertaining new overlay. I love HMH, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with trying something new. Rotting Christmas stockings, a levitating Christmas tree, and Hitch Hiking Ghosts bearing presents are among many fresh (or should I say spirited) concepts you have conjured up, darkfairy. You are definitely of Imagineer quality, and I am grimly grinning from ear to ear. Very nice job.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast