Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Recommendations: Disneyland with a 4 year old

My wife and I are taking my 4 year old son to Disneyland this coming Wednesday and it will be his first time...and my first time in probably 20 years I'd love any reccomendations you all can give me. Rides, meals, parking, whatever. We unfortunately only have one day. He has never seen the Star Wars movies but I've told him the story line for the first film an he LIVES Star Wars. For the last 4 months everything is a light sabre...and he wants to be a Storm Trooper, Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader 24/7. I saw this Jedi Training Academy and I'm sure he'd go bananas to see it. Is it any good? What other rides would you suggest for a 4 year old? All recommendations are appreciated.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Recommendations: Disneyland with a 4 year old

If he has never actually seen Star Wars the Jedi Training Academy is a good choice. However I would not encourage him to participate (at 4 years of age he may be below the age limit anyway).

Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and the Stormtroopers can be quite imposing in real life, especially to a kid who so far has only imagined these characters.

I don't see the harm in letting him watch it. If he wants to participate maybe you can encourage him to do that at another show after he's seen what he would be getting himself into.

• Closed Account

I've heard nothing but positive reviews of Jedi Training Academy. It's fun for the kids to watch or participate in, and apparently very entertaining for the parents as well.

I would recommend going to City Hall or one of the other information locations (Main Street Info Board or DCA Info Station) to get a "Magical Beginnings" map that points out all the rides that are the perfect size for younger guests.

Make sure you meet up with some characters too! I still have great memories about the first time I met characters at Disneyland as a kid, and you can't beat the first time he sees his favorites

• Still Dizzy

Make sure to stop at city hall and get a 1st Visit button for him.

A lot of the suggestions would depend on his height. So how tall is he?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Measure him and make sure you check on height requirements for any of the rides. Good places for you to visit:

- Fantasyland dark rides
    - ToonTown Mickey and Minnie's houses
    - Critter Country - Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    - Bugs Land - just about everything (may be some height requirements)
    - Grizzly Peak Adventure Trail - Playground.

If he likes water, you might want to bring a change of clothes and let him play around in the puddle park in Bugs Land.

Have fun!!!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

Take advantage of PhotoPass. Park photographers will give you a card much similar to a credit card that you present to them when they take photos of you. It avoids the awkwardness of asking a bunch of strangers to take photos of the family together (although the PhotoPass photographer will take a photo of all of you with your own camera if you ask). At the end of the day, or later at home from your computer, you can review all the pictures that were taken of your family and buy any or all of them.

While you are at City Hall following up on FantasmicPrincess' suggestion, get your little one a "first visit" button.

As far as eating goes, if you can afford it you should try to have a lunch or dinner at the Blue Bayou. You can call in an advanced reservation at (714) 781-DINE.

Finally, do your homework. Measure your son to get an accurate reading on how tall he is. Then, go to the Disneyland website and search the height requirements for all the rides. You can't go wrong spending a good portion of your day in Fantasyland with a 4 year old. If you have a ParkHopper ticket, you should also take an hour or so to let him ride Monsters Inc. and Toy Story Midway Mania in DCA.

I have a 4 year old little boy, here is what he loves the most at Disneyland:

Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters (can we go Buzzin?!)
    Meeting characters, any of them
    Tarzan Treehouse
    Jungle Cruise
    The Rockets
    Peter Pan
    Dumbo
    Mickey's house
    Any of the "vehicles" that go down Main Street
    Tom Sawyer Island (or Pirates Layer or whatever it's called now)
    Winnie the Pooh ride
    Submarines
    Autopia

At California Adventure:

Getting his picture taken with Mater & McQueen (across from Soarin')
    Soarin' Over CA
    Bugs Land - everything except the show
    The PIXAR PARADE!! (For him this would be worth adding the park hopper instead of just a single park)
    Playhouse Disney show
    We were lucky to run into PUSH - he thought that was hysterical

He has ridden on a few of the "bigger" rides, and said he liked them, but has opted NOT to go on any of them a second time. If you want to try a roller coaster the one in Toontown is the best - my scardey-cat 6 year old daughter even likes that one.

HTH!
    Alyson

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Disney has provided us with a site especially for Little Ones, check it out...it has rides, food places and shops.
    Also, there is a great map provided by the Disneyland website that you can download.

You can get the info at: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...tleOnesExpPath

The map: Download The Map
    Last edited by MsSarah; 02-02-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Circle of Ancients

I would suggest getting to the park early and starting with Fantasyland.

Dumbo, Peter Pan, Casey Jr, etc are all great for kids. He will LOVE it. Buzz is also a great choice if he loves Toy Story.

Jungle Cruise, Pooh, Pirates, Tarzan, Mark Twain, Tom Sawyers Island and even the Canoes are great choices on the west end of the park. Oh, and the Tiki Room.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Measure him and make sure you check on height requirements for any of the rides. Good places for you to visit:

- Fantasyland dark rides
    - ToonTown Mickey and Minnie's houses
    - Critter Country - Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    - Bugs Land - just about everything (may be some height requirements)
    - Grizzly Peak Adventure Trail - Playground.

If he likes water, you might want to bring a change of clothes and let him play around in the puddle park in Bugs Land.

Have fun!!!
    In Flik's Fun Fair only Tuck and Roll ('Bumper' cars) has a height requirement and it's 36 inches.

The most important thing is not to rush and try to do EVERYTHING. We have been taking my daughters now 3.5 and 5 to the park for 3 years now and the one thing will will ruin a day with them is trying to do too much. Do you have an old digital camera? We ended up searching craigslist for a counple of 30 dollar ones and gave them to the girls, they love their own disneyland pctures the best. My kids would be happy if the met Mickey and Minnie and got to ride the train all day.

Bugs land is fun but we have been with lots of kids and they only really want to ride 2 rides, the ladybugs and the chew chew train. Tuck and ROll is too slow to be any fun really.

They love monsters, toy story, and the totem show in DCA.

In DL they don;t really love the dark rides, my 3.5 year old especially does not. but they LOVE and I meane LOVE the tea cups and the line is short so we ride it a lot.

Remember that for your little one (and for us as well really) all this stuff is magic and if your primary reason for going is for him then relax, ride a ride then go see a character, give him a treat (Dole Whip) and let him have that magic day he will always remember.

We always adheare to these rules. Ride, character, treat. We live in Denver but have spend 70 days in the parks the last 3 years. The only thing my kids want to know is when we are going back.

Have fun and enjoy seeing a truly wonderful park through the eyes of a child. Once you do you will have trouble seeing it any other way and you will be better for it.

• Disney Geek

If he loves Star Wars and light sabers then he would love Jedi Academy and by all means have him participate. My kids did it and they loved it. There were very small children participating and they looked like they were enjoying it.

DEpending on how brave he is and how tall he is will determine what rides you will want to ride.

Try not to rush. Let him have the joy of just being in the "Happiest Place on Earth"
    Last edited by cticket; 02-02-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling

• Sock Puppet

Lots of good suggestions so far.

I would just like to emphasize three things:

Don't try and do EVERYTHING.

Pace yourself and take plenty of sit down breaks.

Relax and have a GREAT time!

Well, OK, that was four. But you get the idea!

Enjoy!

If he likes boats, when you go on the Mark twain he can captain the ship. Just ask someone at the dock to see if it's available. Our 4 year olds loved it.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Everyone has said it all pretty much. Take it slow. Convince him that there are not "just" rides in the park. And have fun with it. Make it rememberable!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast