Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MC, this is LD

Re: Facade Lighting Does More Than Train Rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I'll have to look, but probably LED based judging from the color fade rather than a switch - that's how they did the entire Castle. They are getting fancy Phillips now has a LED rope light with 60 or 150 LED's spaced every 4" and every single lamp in each string can be individually addressed with DMX computer lighting control protocol.

You could string a bunch of these down the side of the building and turn it into an instant message sign... Give them a few more years, and it will be fast enough for full video. Or string them permanently around the borders of the Small World facade like they install the christmas lights, and have that same rainbow effect happen with point source lamps.

--<< Bruce >>--

That is unbelievable!!!

A LED rope light that takes up 60-150 channels! Three to four rope lights would take up a whole universe!!! (1 universe = 512 channels = one DMX cable) I would estimate if the IASW facade used this method, it would use almost 300 (estimated) DMX universes. 300 universes = lots of wiring!!!

• Legends never die...

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I like the new lighting a lot. Is it LED based? Or have they just added lots of controls to the already present floodlight system and beefed it up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I'll have to look, but probably LED based judging from the color fade rather than a switch - that's how they did the entire Castle. They are getting fancy Phillips now has a LED rope light with 60 or 150 LED's spaced every 4" and every single lamp in each string can be individually addressed with DMX computer lighting control protocol.
    I'm almost positive it is LED based since, as Bruce said it fades so smoothly. There are however normal lighting fixtures which illuminate everything in the time between the color effects.

It is hard to tell from so far away, but I would be willing to say that they are not using rope, but rather LED fixtures, perhaps even something similar to Color Blasts. I could be wrong, since you can't see what is lighting the back layer of the facade, but the front appears to be using LED pars or something of the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAN View Post

That is unbelievable!!!

A LED rope light that takes up 60-150 channels! Three to four rope lights would take up a whole universe!!! (1 universe = 512 channels = one DMX cable) I would estimate if the IASW facade used this method, it would use almost 300 (estimated) DMX universes. 300 universes = lots of wiring!!!
    If, as I said, it is not in fact the ropes, from my experience you can string several of the LED pars together and connect them to one DMX, which may be a similar case here.
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• (Not a) New User

That's cool. I haev been waiting for a picture of the Hello room finally. Looks great!

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Very very nice. Looks fab.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Disney Secrets Master

Looks great!
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• MC, this is LD

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    If, as I said, it is not in fact the ropes, from my experience you can string several of the LED pars together and connect them to one DMX, which may be a similar case here.
    Ha Ha, sorry if I was a little vague. I had assumed that the facade would be using a plethora of LED pars, I was just pointing out that that was a whole lot of channels.

• Koubu Pilot

I remember one of the World of Color episodes showcasing small world and how they used a mock up of the facade and testing the lighting they want at night on it so that as they construct the real thing, they had reference for the lighting arrangement. That came to mind when seeing the videos.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by KAN View Post

That is unbelievable!!!

Each universe is one CAT-5 data cable back to the control panel - and I'll bet you can use Ethernet hubs to multiplex them into one data backbone. And for control purposes I'll bet you can multiplex universes in some sort of a "Master and Slave" setup - send the command for a "Color Wave" and timing pulses to sync, and have it broken down to pre-programmed changes in the different universes.

I'll guarantee some bright person in the Lighting biz has already run out of universes on a complex show set already, and developed a solution.

(It's like IPv6 for the Internet - they already figured out they'll run out of addresses in the four byte "127.000.000.001" system eventually, so they've already worked out a system that adds two more bytes to the end. By the time they have to change over to the six byte addresses, they should have all the computers and routers ready to make use of them - then they immediately have to start preparing for IPv8...)

(Same thing for switching the US and Int'l telephone networks to four digit Area Codes, longer Country Codes, and eventually variable length local numbers. Same rationale: by the time they have to do it, all the mechanical and 1st-gen electronic systems that can't handle the longer numbers with a simple reprogramming will be long scrapped.)

Here's the link to the basic products: Osram Sylvania LINEARlight Colorpod and follow the links to the Coloprpod XB and all the power supplies. Both DMX and proprietary control systems. And a Data Sheet page that anyone can understand.

(I know I saw a data sheet for longer 150-point strands, but I can't find it now. You had to go to one of the power supplies, and backtrack the links to the strands it works with...)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Legends never die...

Bruce, you said earlier that the castle was lit with LED ropes; were you referring to the little sparkles, or the actual color wash on the walls? Because I don't know much about the ropes, but it doesn't seem to me that they would have a big enough throw to completely cover something as large as the facade or the castle. Just wondering.
    My Inspirations:
    AND

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The wash on the Castle upper walls and spires - the LED light panels are on the 'roof' at the various levels pointed up, hiding behind parapet walls.

Phillips ColorKinetics ColorBlast 6 and the like. Go up one level and poke around - they even have MR-16 lamp replacements you can use in standard fixtures with DMX remote control capability down to the individual lamp. Only problem I see is a lot of the 'strip' products are not weatherproof, but that can be solved...

For the big wash of the lower walls there are conventional lights at a distance - the other side of the Moat, fake rocks in the middle of the moat, etc. They are really good at hiding them, but if you know where to look...

There are now LED lights with enough power (5,000 lumens) and narrow 8-degree spot throw focus they could be used for the Castle lower wall wash from the other side of the moat, or Small World from a distance (like off the roof of the Gift Shop) - the ColorReach Powercore They keep coming up with new toys every month.

I have to go this weekend and see what they did at Small World. They have to light the walls the train tracks go through so some of the fixtures are visible from the railroad, even though they try to screen them from direct view.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Very nice, I can't wait to see it tomorrow night during the AP preview!

• Legends never die...

Just as an update, as I know many of you will be making a trip to IASW for the AP preview, but today the walls were completely down, and the CM's were training and running the boats through. I'm so excited to see the changes!

Bruec- Thanks for the info! I mentioned earlier that there might be colorblasts involved... not sure about Small World still. I rode through the facade on the Train today, and couldn't quite make out what they are hitting the back wall with, though I could clearly see the colors change. I'm thinking they hid these rather well, though I didn't get a close look.
    My Inspirations:
    AND

• Banned User

I love the new rainbow colors as the train passes by! Now DL's IASW has the 2nd best night time light show on this attraction, after HKDL's.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 02-04-2009 at 11:59 PM.

• surrealistic.

That's really beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person.

• Banned User

Ooops forgot to post video from the HKDL Small World Light show. Note how the single points of lights have a sparkle effect and turn the building into rainbow colors when the clock opes to expose the time. Click on "HQ" to see this clip in higher resolution for better quality.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...eature=related

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12