Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Bring Back "Classic" Pirates

Yesterday, I thought about something that got to me.

Pirates of The Caribbean was one of my favorite attractions when I was a kid. We would go on it whenever we went on it. I looked back, and one of the things that I miss the most is the "Classic" version. I really wish they would install the pirate back on the ship in Barbossa's place, and I really wish they would bring back the old ending from the lift, where the two pirates are shown lifting the loot up the final lift (where Captain Jack Sparrow is). I guess what I am saying is is that I miss the "Classic" Pirates.

Who is with me on this?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Bring Back "Classic" Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post

Pirates of The Caribbean was one of my favorite attractions when I was a kid. We would go on it whenever we went on it. I looked back, and one of the things that I miss the most is the "Classic" version. I really wish they would install the pirate back on the ship in Barbossa's place, and I really wish they would bring back the old ending from the lift, where the two pirates are shown lifting the loot up the final lift (where Captain Jack Sparrow is). I guess what I am saying is is that I miss the "Classic" Pirates.

Who is with me on this?
    I am. But it will never happen.

For one thing you will soon have a generation of people thinking more that the ride came from the movie, rather than vice versa.

And as more sequels come down the line, the company would have little interest in taking out the things that were put in to cross-promote.

All in all, the changes weren't nearly as obtrusive as I originally feared they would be anyway. It could have been much worse.

It's still my favorite attraction in the park, and I must admit I do like the Davey Jones image effect.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Whenever I pass Barbossa I always shake my head. I miss the ol Black Beard. As for Barbossa and the pirate by the well, It just makes no sense for these prisoners to not talk about Jack and give him up. Why would they care? Especially since Jack is a pirate and they are the ones destroying their town. No sense. If they would have just put a Jack AA in the backgoeund with no bearing on the story I would have been fine with it. As of right now the ride's story makes no sense. Just lame.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Eh, I actually agree.

I'm all for change, but the current version of Pirates leaves me somewhat unsatisfied.
    The story just doesn't feel as whole with Jack Sparrow being intermingled with the older and original scenes.

I really miss the old ending where you passed by a skeleton on your way "up" the waterfall. It left more haunting and thought-provoking feelings within me, feelings that I no longer get with the new Davy Jones intrusive voice finale.

Not to mention Jack's amazing realistic movements put the other AAs to shame. They make such a weird juxtaposition. You have an incredibly realistic man (Jack) next to AAs with limited movement. (They need to be all updated to Jack's level - maybe some day?)

And who knows, maybe the Pirate fad will die out eventually (I think it already has started to; I, for one, thought the last movie was kind of bad; the story was way too convoluted.)

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• failure for lunch

The term "classic" is a relative term here. Do you mean the version before it's politically correct transformation in 1996?

Before Johnny Depp found treasure by the final lift, two pirates were once trying to scale the hill with a heavy bag of gold...but before that there was once a pirate drunkenly waving a gun at you. From what I've read somewhere here, the gold-hungry pirates were transplants from the late-great World Of Motion attraction at Epcot.

• Far too curious

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    For one thing you will soon have a generation of people thinking more that the ride came from the movie, rather than vice versa.
    We already do have people like that.

I still like PotC, movie characters or not. It'd be nice to see it go back, though.

• =)

I'm all for the removal of the emphasis on Jack, the Barbossa AA, the new music (except the Davy Jones organ), and Davy Jones' voice at the end. I love the new cannonball effects, and I wouldn't mind one or two Jack AAs remaining if the focus weren't on him, and I could stand the Davy Jones projection if they did a new version in which he did not contradict the central theme of the ride and did not say his own name every few seconds.

But better safe than sorry...let's just remove all the changes. I wouldn't mind.

• Senior Minion

For me the PC changes were an annoyance, but "Depp of the Caribbean" was a heartbreaker. The Disney marketing machine at its in-your-face worst.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    Not to mention Jack's amazing realistic movements put the other AAs to shame. They make such a weird juxtaposition. You have an incredibly realistic man (Jack) next to AAs with limited movement. (They need to be all updated to Jack's level - maybe some day?)
    What about the Auctioneer?

The Auctioneer is said to be one of the most advanced Audio Animatronics figures in the park. If Jack looks weird, then why doesn't the Auctioneer look weird next to less-advanced Animatronics?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Former DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm all for the removal of the emphasis on Jack, the Barbossa AA, the new music (except the Davy Jones organ), and Davy Jones' voice at the end. I love the new cannonball effects, and I wouldn't mind one or two Jack AAs remaining if the focus weren't on him, and I could stand the Davy Jones projection if they did a new version in which he did not contradict the central theme of the ride and did not say his own name every few seconds.

But better safe than sorry...let's just remove all the changes. I wouldn't mind.
    I like you. When I take over the world I... oh nevermind, you know the rest.
    "Always say 'Yes' first... then figure out how to do it."

• =)

While I still, of course, would like the changes gone, I do want to chime in and say that they weren't as bad as I thought they might turn out. Also, I've never been bothered by any discrepancies between the different AAs' motions. Yes, Jack moves more smoothly than a lot of them, but it just never really bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineerAtHeart View Post
    I like you. When I take over the world I... oh nevermind, you know the rest.
    My friend, consider your own to now be even more quick and painless.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post

Who is with me on this?
    cast my yes vote on this.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I miss my ships original parking spot. Im doing circles in Neverland at the moment.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Animation Domination

Yeah, I also have to agree that the classic POTC should return.
    I miss seeing the cat popping out of the barrel.

Hopefully POTC 4 flops.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    What about the Auctioneer?

The Auctioneer is said to be one of the most advanced Audio Animatronics figures in the park. If Jack looks weird, then why doesn't the Auctioneer look weird next to less-advanced Animatronics?

True. Sorry I should have clarified better. I was referring to the more static ones (the ones who aren't the main characters within the scene).

The Auctioneer is a very advanced AA, very true - and there are a number of other ones within Pirates. It's just that with Jack in the mix now, I feel he shows the limitations of the older AA models - along with their older technologies.

When it was just the Auctioneer, the more static ones were able to blend in more; but with Jack, they don't do as easily.

If there is one thing that I can say I liked about the new updates to Pirates, it is how well Disney could capture a realistic portrayal of a character. He looks real; the other AA's just simply don't -- at least not to the level that Jack carries out.

(And I know that the original Pirates characters were based off of more cartoonish versions of men and women, but still.)

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast