Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Captain Pineapple

Downtown Disney slowly emptying...

Well we all know that Illuminations, Starabillias, Department 56, and Club Libby Liu are closed (well Illuminations is in the process of closing)... but apparently according to some people, Island Charters and Quiksilver will both be closing by the summer.

That leaves 7 empty slots, and only one of them is going to become something from Disney (I'm surprised Vault 28 hasn't gone yet either, but I guess there's a need for high-priced Disney merchandise).

It's a sad time everywhere, and even in DtD... So much for that expansion for a while...

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Downtown Disney slowly emptying...

Maybe the rent is too high? Disney might start up its own businesses to fill in the gaps.

Also note that this is happening pretty much at every mall. Winners (among mall owners) have reserves to get through this. Losers are those who leveraged via borrowing.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Vault 28 caters to a very specific clientele... the type with money. I hope that other business will move in and offer something new and inspiring. I would hate to see more Disney shops with all the same stuff inside.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    Vault 28 caters to a very specific clientele... the type with money. I hope that other business will move in and offer something new and inspiring. I would hate to see more Disney shops with all the same stuff inside.
    Well, and I'm sure Disney doesn't need to pay rent in their own building.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

It would be nice if Disney used the DtD stores for their generic merch, and went back to having a wide variety of themed merch in the park shops. (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Aw, this is sad to hear. I adore DtD. Hopefully some great new shops can take the old shops' place.

• Circle of Ancients

Considering the only "Shops" I've been inside at DtD are World of Disney, Sephora (by dragging) and Lego, I'm not surprised. I could have really cared less about the other ones.

• Rides against injustice

I'm surprised they havent done like in Orlando and have like 5 different Disney Stores..
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

That's a good point Zorro. Not only that, but it seems that the stores in Orlando are much less "specialized" than many of the stores in Anaheim.

• Do You know?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Considering the only "Shops" I've been inside at DtD are World of Disney, Sephora (by dragging) and Lego, I'm not surprised. I could have really cared less about the other ones.
    Uh huh. Well you are an attractive man, so now we all know your secret.

I think that they might need to expand what kind of stores they want in there instead of the regular tourist shops. There are alot of locals that go to DtD.

I think that they should create some reason for guests to go thru downtown disney.

If you think about it, who really goes there? Guests of the hotel, those who park in the Downtown disney lot, those who want to board the Monorail @ the old Hotel station, and a few stragglers. Everyone else who rides the tram back to the structure sees La Brea and the Disney store only. If they put something cool, a must see, at the other end down by the movie theater, something to encourage guests to walk down there, maybe they could generate some foot traffic.

Just brainstorming here, but what about a tram line from the structure to the beginning of downtown disney, especially if it has a shorter wait/runs more frequently.

How about modifying the walking route from the structure to the park and make it go under/over Disney way and dump you right into downtown disney.

Along those lines - think about the big airports that you may have connected thru - the ones with the subterranean trains and moving walkways - strait shot south from the structure to downtown.

How about some Disney dining locations? the food places are always packed when I am there so there must be a need - why not use vacant space and put in a counter service food place?

Move the musicians around!!! The guy that plays the spanish guitar with a bongo player and a drum machine by La Brea is good, but lets give some of the other musicians a chance - then promote the fact that there are different genres of music all throughout the area.

Hand out a coupon to guests leaving the park for 10% off with your park ticket from that day.

Advertise/market the place.

Scrap the whole idea, close everything down, and put something worthwhile there

Put in the Adventurers club thing from downtown WDW

Offer classic disney movies in the theater

Subsidize parking. Make it free if you spend $20 or some other amount at a merchant.

Fix the parking - parking there sucks - it is time consuming because of the traffic flow and people waiting for a spot or waiting to pick someone up - put a cast member or 2 there to direct cars to open spots of do what they do at malls and put up a display board showing how many open spots.

Also, make a drop off/pick up zone.

Just a few thoughts - some may be good, some may be bad. Bottom line is that the area is pretty cool, it is just inconvenient and there really is not enough of a reason to have to go thru there
    Last edited by vandele; 02-05-2009 at 12:37 PM.

• Still Dizzy

I say dump it and turn into Pleasure Island nightclub area like WDW had. People can shop at Gardenwalk.

A girl can dream can't she....I really miss going to PI.

We can always use a better selection of restaurants to choose from at DTD, especially ones that are lower cost compared to those within Disneyland.

How about having a place to eat after leaving the parks at midnight?

It makes me crazy when I stay at DGC, get out of the park at midnight, and there isn't a single place to eat without leaving the resort area.

• King of Los Angeles

Honestly, I'm glad the expansion isn't happenning for a while. I would love to see the DTD parking Lot up to the parking structure become a great water-park. DTD should extend toward paradise pier. It bring the whole area together and cerate more foot traffic.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast