Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 131
  1. #61

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Today's youth = 2009

    Pinocchio = 1940
    The Three Cabelleros = 1944
    Cinderella = 1950
    Alice in Wonderland = 1951
    The Little Mermaid = 1989
    Aladdin = 1992
    The Lion King = 1994
    Mulan = 1998
    Toy Story / Toy Story 2 = 1995 / 1999
    Lilo and Stitch = 2002
    Finding Nemo = 2003

    The most recent film now represented in "it's a small world" is Finding Nemo, which is going on 6 years old.

    How do film characters that are decades old make a ride that is also decades old any more relevant than it already is?
    Because Disney films, cartoons especially, are timeless and relevant. Everyone can rent a video of Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Not everyone can drop their kids into a boat and send them through a ride that is considered timeless. More association means more relation more relation means more attendance more attendance means more sales.

  2. #62

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber
    Posts
    560

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Theres a difference between "Good Change" and change for the sake of change.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    I really really hate it when people use this Walt Disney quote (the one in the title of this thread) to justify the means of a half-hearted decision and/or change made by the Disney Company in one of their parks (usually for the sake of saving a few bucks).

    A bad change is a bad change. You cannot distort that fact. If something new replaces something old it should be of equal or higher value/quality.

    For example, replacing an attraction with a food stand isn't good change - and using a Walt Disney quote to justify it is a poor choice to say the least.
    Last edited by Maleficent Fan; 02-05-2009 at 06:01 PM.


    CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

    With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan


    disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

  3. #63

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    How can you say that these characters are so recognizable on one hand while others supporting your point of view say that they are adding the characters because kids today no longer recognize Disney's old characters?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  4. #64

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Because Disney films, cartoons especially, are timeless and relevant. Everyone can rent a video of Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Not everyone can drop their kids into a boat and send them through a ride that is considered timeless. More association means more relation more relation means more attendance more attendance means more sales.
    Disney has increased its association with being driven by money and heartless, I don't think that helps attendance. People go to DL for DL, they might be motivated to make a trip because of something new, but that's not what they are primarily paying for, they're paying for the whole experience. All these types of changes are done for nothing but a short term boost of visits because they are low on space in DL and changing anything is a cheap way of getting AP's to show up. It's short sighted and does nothing to improve the viability of the business in the long term.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  5. #65

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Because Disney films, cartoons especially, are timeless and relevant. Everyone can rent a video of Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Not everyone can drop their kids into a boat and send them through a ride that is considered timeless. More association means more relation more relation means more attendance more attendance means more sales.
    Your logic doesn't make any sense.

    If Pinocchio is still relevant, then why isn't "it's a small world"? If "it's a small world" isn't relevant, how is The Haunted Mansion or the Disneyland Railroad?

    More association does not mean more attendance. Adding characters to "it's a small world" isn't going to drive up attendance.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  6. #66

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    If Pinocchio is still relevant, then why isn't "it's a small world"?
    Because why in the world would people who go to theme parks care as much about theme parks as they do about movies?!



  7. #67

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Your logic doesn't make any sense.

    If Pinocchio is still relevant, then why isn't "it's a small world"? If "it's a small world" isn't relevant, how is The Haunted Mansion or the Disneyland Railroad?

    More association does not mean more attendance. Adding characters to "it's a small world" isn't going to drive up attendance.


    Because movies are more widely available than Disneyland? Kids all over the country can see a movie tonight and relive it over and over. Of course, there are some kids who do that with IASW and DL in general, but for the most part, Disney movies are more of a household name than IASW. How many times have you seen a parent go "Oh look at Minnie!" or "Ooooh, who's that? Yeah, that's Tinkerbell!" I can only imagine the fun kids are going to have pointing out the characters on IASW. And what can that lead to? Curiosity? Oh look, it's Mulan - where is she from? China! etc.

    The Haunted Mansion is relevant on its own, but what do they do during the holidays? They overlay it with a theme from a film - sure for the holidays, and sure it's cute, etc. - but I know people who don't go to Disneyland any other time of the year JUST so they can see HHM as opposed to the normal version.

    My point about association and attendance is - yes. If they play up IASW with added characters, as I'm sure they will, people will come. Is there any doubt about that? I'm sure DL sees an influx in visitors whenever something "new" is debuted. I'm sure DCA will see an attendance bump once the World Of Color and the pier is finished. I'm sure there were families out there with little girls begging to go to Pixie Hollow (as asinine as that is..) The point is - whenever something NEW is at Disneyland, people come.

    (edit): And I do use the attendance instance loosely, but I'm sure there's a bump somewhere. It might be better to say there could be an increase in ridership. IASW never has a long queue, aside from the holidays.

    I'm not really going to bother to delve into this any further, because expressing an opinion or presenting an argument that is against the purist grain of MC leads to nothing but condescending tones and comments.
    Last edited by brenden; 02-05-2009 at 06:56 PM.

  8. #68

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Because movies are more widely available than Disneyland? Kids all over the country can see a movie tonight and relive it over and over. Of course, there are some kids who do that with IASW and DL in general, but for the most part, Disney movies are more of a household name than IASW. How many times have you seen a parent go "Oh look at Minnie!" or "Ooooh, who's that? Yeah, that's Tinkerbell!" I can only imagine the fun kids are going to have pointing out the characters on IASW. And what can that lead to? Curiosity? Oh look, it's Mulan - where is she from? China! etc.

    The Haunted Mansion is relevant on its own, but what do they do during the holidays? They overlay it with a theme from a film - sure for the holidays, and sure it's cute, etc. - but I know people who don't go to Disneyland any other time of the year JUST so they can see HHM as opposed to the normal version.

    My point about association and attendance is - yes. If they play up IASW with added characters, as I'm sure they will, people will come. Is there any doubt about that? I'm sure DL sees an influx in visitors whenever something "new" is debuted. I'm sure DCA will see an attendance bump once the World Of Color and the pier is finished. I'm sure there were families out there with little girls begging to go to Pixie Hollow (as asinine as that is..) The point is - whenever something NEW is at Disneyland, people come.

    I'm not really going to bother to delve into this any further, because expressing an opinion or presenting an argument that is against the purist grain of MC leads to nothing but condescending tones and comments.

    People aren't as stupid as you're painting them to be. People understand the idea of a themed experience, even if only on a subconscious level. If they didn't Disneyland wouldn't exist today.

    The simple fact is that while Disney films play an integral part to Disneyland's success, they aren't the sole reason why Disneyland is a success. "it's a small world" survived and maintained its popularity for over 40 years without character tie-ins, and even boasts an incredibly popular holiday overlay that was designed without cross-promoting their films. Why try to fix something that isn't broken?

    You agree that the Haunted Mansion is relevant on its own, but that show is just a couple years younger than "it's a small world." How does one aging show remain relevant while the other does not? And what about Splash Mountain, which is based on a film, but one that has slipped into obscurity? How is that show relevant?

    Your logic remains flawed. The accessibility of Disneyland does not affect the relevancy of the park and its attractions.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  9. #69

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,405

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    I am facing a dilema' I am/was a huge admirer of Tony Baxter' Am I supposed to hate him now?

  10. #70

    • Use your imagination...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    376

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I am facing a dilema' I am/was a huge admirer of Tony Baxter' Am I supposed to hate him now?
    the creator of Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and the new BEAUTIFUL Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough....i would hope not. SO he did something you dont like...29 little dolls shouldn't make you completely dislike a person whos done a lot of good

  11. #71

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    12.5 minutes from Disneyland
    Posts
    14,009
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    WHY do people resist any change at all?

    Maybe Disney should open a third gate in Anaheim, which is a 100% faithful reproduction of Disneyland on July 17th 1955 and charge people $300 to get in so those who don't want anything to change can be happy.

    As others have posted, there are good changes, and there are stupid or ridiculous changes. I am not opposed to changes that TRULY enhance the park. But changes that take the park in the wrong direction drive me nuts.

    Examples?

    Good change: When they took captain EO out and replaced it with HISTA, I thought that was a good change. If they were to change it again tomorrow and bring in a new show, I would applaud that as well.

    Bad change: Taking out America Sings and replacing it with Innoventions. What a complete and total waste of space. Take out a popular animatronic show and replace it with...a Circuit City? What the...?

    Bad Change: Country Bears is gone replaced by a Pooh ride that probably does half the business.

    Bad Change: Moving the rockets down and sticking them right at the entrance to Tomorrowland creating a huge bottleneck. Brilliant.

    Bad Change: Taking the people mover out and replacing it with a ride that almost worked for a total of 24 hours. And then replacing the expensive replacement with....nothing.

    Good Change: Losing Monsanto and gaining Star Tours....even though it's getting older by the day. If they were to PLUS THIS attraction by updating the technology and adding new footage, I would stand up and cheer.

    There are too many people on this board who make blanket statements like the one in the OP. Disneyland is not a museum. Okay...we get that. But to blithely go along with EVERY decision that comes down from TDA is simply asking for more brilliant additions or deletions like adding Iago to the Tiki Room, or taking the Disney Gallery away from EVERYONE in order to give an incredible experience to .00001 percent of the population.

    If the impending change takes Disneyland in the wrong direction, it might help the OTHER side to take off the rose colored glasses and take a good hard look at what is being foisted on the park at times.

    Case in point: There's a BRAND NEW pile of Stitch plush toys in the IASW store. That pretty much says it all. Why is Stitch on that surfboard? To enhance the ride? Right.

    It's product placement. And when the reason for CHANGE is simply to make more money, regardless of how something works in terms of theme, Disneyland is going in the wrong direction.

  12. #72

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    126

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    But when he lies about finding an un-documented piece of artwork at Comic-Con, from an attraction that has 43 years of history it makes you wonder.

  13. #73

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    People aren't as stupid as you're painting them to be. People understand the idea of a themed experience, even if only on a subconscious level. If they didn't Disneyland wouldn't exist today.

    The simple fact is that while Disney films play an integral part to Disneyland's success, they aren't the sole reason why Disneyland is a success. "it's a small world" survived and maintained its popularity for over 40 years without character tie-ins, and even boasts an incredibly popular holiday overlay that was designed without cross-promoting their films. Why try to fix something that isn't broken?

    You agree that the Haunted Mansion is relevant on its own, but that show is just a couple years younger than "it's a small world." How does one aging show remain relevant while the other does not? And what about Splash Mountain, which is based on a film, but one that has slipped into obscurity? How is that show relevant?

    Your logic remains flawed. The accessibility of Disneyland does not affect the relevancy of the park and its attractions.
    People understand the idea of a themed experience, definitely, there's no argument there.

    Of course films and cartoons aren't the sole reason why Disneyland is successful, but would you argue that they're a minimal part of it's success? Really?

    I agreed that the Haunted Mansion is relevant on its own, but you completely ignored my point about having a holiday overlay based on a popular film. Tying attractions to films and cartoons and TV shows isn't uncommon in the parks, even for self-standing attractions. I'm sure if there was some kind of tie-in they could bring to Splash Mountain, they'd do it - but alas, it was already BUILT on the premise of a film, that, like you mentioned, pretty much faded into obscurity. If they could figure out a way to add some fresh zest to Splash Mountain, I wouldn't be surprised.

    "Why try to fix something that isn't broken?" Because it's a business! Regardless of the warm fuzzy feelings that Disneyland brings to millions of people, it still needs to make money! I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand - by reinventing an attraction, it keeps existing audiences that are bored with the current coming back and attracts new audiences who could care less.

    How is my logic flawed? Is it because I understand that Disneyland is first and foremost a cash cow in the eyes of management? Surely it wasn't ALWAYS like that, but as the years have gone on, that's become pretty apparent. Walt's dead, in case you haven't noticed. I don't understand why everyone is jumping down my throat for expressing the should-be obvious.


    IT'S LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS.

  14. #74

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,405

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    .

    It's product placement. And when the reason for CHANGE is simply to make more money, regardless of how something works in terms of theme, Disneyland is going in the wrong direction.
    “Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.”
    -Walt Disney

  15. #75

    • Use your imagination...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    376

    Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    As others have posted, there are good changes, and there are stupid or ridiculous changes. I am not opposed to changes that TRULY enhance the park. But changes that take the park in the wrong direction drive me nuts.

    Examples?

    Good change: When they took captain EO out and replaced it with HISTA, I thought that was a good change. If they were to change it again tomorrow and bring in a new show, I would applaud that as well.
    Agreed

    Bad change: Taking out America Sings and replacing it with Innoventions. What a complete and total waste of space. Take out a popular animatronic show and replace it with...a Circuit City? What the...?
    I dont see how a patriotic show of America fit in with Tomorrowland. Innoventions wasn't great..but at least fit the theme.

    Bad Change: Country Bears is gone replaced by a Pooh ride that probably does half the business.
    Probably about the same. I never remember the country bear theater ever being more than half full.

    Bad Change: Moving the rockets down and sticking them right at the entrance to Tomorrowland creating a huge bottleneck. Brilliant.
    agreed

    Bad Change: Taking the people mover out and replacing it with a ride that almost worked for a total of 24 hours. And then replacing the expensive replacement with....nothing.
    Well...if they had the budget to bank the curves it would have worked just fine. It was a good change in theory.

    Good Change: Losing Monsanto and gaining Star Tours....even though it's getting older by the day. If they were to PLUS THIS attraction by updating the technology and adding new footage, I would stand up and cheer.
    Agreed

    Case in point: There's a BRAND NEW pile of Stitch plush toys in the IASW store. That pretty much says it all. Why is Stitch on that surfboard? To enhance the ride? Right.
    Someone said those were there before the refurb.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "Change" - a dirty word for Disneyland?
    By TheManator in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 193
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 05:50 AM
  2. "Disneyland will never be completed
    By Disneyfanatic in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 11:03 PM
  3. Affleck brings "Resistance" to Touchstone
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 08:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •