Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: "Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Then that's management's problem to recognize and fix, isn't it? Look at the state of the world - nobody cares about anyone anymore, it's all about money. I know that sounds harsh and negative, but it's a reality we face. This doesn't apply to Disney only, it's all over the place! Disney has that emotional and sentimental tie with almost everyone and it's definitely exploiting it.
    CitiBank Jets' anyone?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You rode on it Thursday correct? The day prior to the official grand opening? And it was an AP Preview?
    Yes. There were so few people there they were allowing non APer's on there as well.

I am sure there will be more people now that the weekend is upon us, although not quite as many due to the inclement weather. So I do admit that we shall have to wait and see what effect the changes to this ride will have on its ridership numbers.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Yes. There were so few people there they were allowing non APer's on there as well.

I am sure there will be more people now that the weekend is upon us, although not quite as many due to the inclement weather. So I do admit that we shall have to wait and see what effect the changes to this ride will have on its ridership numbers.
    If you honestly think the average visitor is not going to ride IASW anymore due to this, I really don't know what to say.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    If you honestly think the average visitor is not going to ride IASW anymore due to this, I really don't know what to say.
    I believe his actual claim is that the additions are not going to increase ridership... not that the additions will decrease it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I honestly don't think rainy day preview day is an accurate sign of what the viewership is or will be. This weekend will be the more accurate glance.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I believe his actual claim is that the additions are not going to increase ridership... not that the additions will decrease it.
    This.

• MiceChat Moderator

In the long run, this will not increase ridership. That is true. Which is why classic attractions should be restored and ENHANCED... not changed or drastically altered. (adding america is drastically altering in my opinion).

I have been reading this thread with great interest and I have sat back several times to think about the points being made. I have considered the statements of the founder that so many of you have pointed out. I understand that Disneyland has to make money. Too bad it has to support all the outside concepts and not just itself, Disneyland would be plussed to the nines.

I understand that Disneyland is not a museum and believe that Main Street could be turned into Times Square with an El train out front(many children of today do not understand the outdated concept of Marceline, let alone renting the movie).

I think overall the prevailing irritant is the idea of a "tie-in." It seems that adding a foreign concept into an attraction or land that changes the message and focus is a bad idea.

I am all for new attractions and adventures that support the theme of the land. I am for plussing them up. I understand some attractions must go (like POTC, JC, SM, IJA, and HM). It made sense to have Star Tours and Mission To Mars operating at the same time. Plywood gummy bears talking to motorboat skippers always made sense too.

I do not need to go on Iasw to see peter pan, I think there is an attraction for that already. I think keeping things in their proper perspective is the way to go. Nothing wrong with plussing them up with the proper perspective. Small world could have added a couple hundred new dolls that have blinking eyes and moving parts, doing all kinds of new activites that would have made it interesting (a doll shooting holographic softballs at the guests, for example).

But for the sake of business and children appeal, let's put in a few static cows from Home on the Range into the Grand Canyon diorama. A few dinosaurs from Dinosaur into the Primeval World. Replace a few members of the ghostly band with Huey, Duey, and Louie. Since most kids cannot ride Indiana Jones and because it costs so much to run, let's move tropical imports over there. Let's put Big Bird in the Tiki Room because it's a bird. So many opinions from so many people, that I'm sure removing the Sleeping Beauty castle would be agreeable for all of us. There will be defenders for all of these concepts.

Stop. Build an attraction for it instead. If something does not fit, do not force it to fit. A bunch of Hillbillies in a Wild West Saloon? Hmmm. Soarin is borin? Put in "UP?"

Behold, Tomorrowland is not cartoony enough, we need some Space Buddies AAs to give us the Space Mountain safety spiel. Nevermind, the AA dogs would end up being static representations with a speaker installed in their sides. Replacing kinetics with statics is good for business? Enough already! End of line.

Flynn
    Last edited by Triton; 02-06-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Sarcasm overkill

• MiceChat Moderator

Space Buddies Space Mountain........

O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Soarin is borin? Put in "UP?"

Flynn
    I actually think this is a great idea.... but then... I do think Soarin' is pretty boring.

• Artistic integrity

>>"Disneyland will never be completed." - Why the resistance to change?<<

Oh that answer is easy!

Because "change" was fine when imagineering was allowed to let the creative juices go, and not be constrained by Marketing, and accounting executives making critical creative decisions themselves. As .. that is what's going on these days!

* They messed up Journey Into Imagination.
    Lost track how many times they've gone back in to try to fix it.
    Still can't!
    * To make up for the growing stagnation to the magic kingdom park, what do they deliver? A spinner in Adventureland ...
    * .......and throw Stitch and Monsters Inc. into Tomorrowland - WHAT THE (*&^*(%^%!!!
    * DCA ... need I say anything?
    * Tomorrowland 1998
    * The not-so widely accepted Tiki Room New Management

I can go on ... and on .. and on.

The resistance to change is because they've lost their creative ability! And until they get it back (I am seeing some signs, now, fortunately) .. I don't want to see another fiasco, blunder, creative misstep ... one more time!

I want them to stop ruining what was good before .. when the fact is .. when they do go in to "improve" something .. It ends up not as good as what they had before!Not the case with their track record from 1955 to about 1995. They were doing great - THEN.

The last 15 years have been a creative JOKE!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789