Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: When will there be a new interpretation of the Peoplemover?

The other great part of other than be a peoplemover, it was also a people eater. Now Tommorowland is one of the most crowded places in Disneyland. It would be cool if they opened it back up when the new Tron 2.0 comes out. Get where im going with this?

• Minion

They need to get this open again sooner than later - - Rockets too.

I like the Incredibles pods - - seems like a simple solution that will look appropriately cool and be pleasant to ride.

A TRON experience should replace Honey.

• Animatronic

I was wondering when a people mover thread would return. The empty track screams cheap. Yes, Disney can get away with less boats on the river. Most won't notice the gas lamps no longer have mantels. But nearly everyone notices the empty tracks winding through Tomorrowland. Instead of a lively place of progress where you could watch people being moved, Tomorrowland is a post apocolyptic kiddyland.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I like the Incredibles pods - - seems like a simple solution that will look appropriately cool and be pleasant to ride.
    But The Incredibles ostensibly does not take place in the future.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Precisely.

I wouldn't mind if the design and style of the people mover reflected those designs similar to The Incredibles, but I just don't want it to be INCREDIPODS on my guide map.

I'd even go so far as having elizabeth pena (voice of Mirage) be the narrator / tour guide would be a nice little clue and tip of the hat to keener guests. But I don't think they should constantly pump the land with 'synergy'.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mouse at work

I remember riding this when I was 4 years old in 1997. Well the only thing is that I'm not sure if it was the peoplemover or not now that i think about it. I remember it was this ride where you would go through a bunch of these hallways and occasionally there would be videos of Walt Disney and cars in a circular room, and then eventually you would get to a set of stairs of elevators and go to a terrace on the 2nd floor where you would get into a black car that didn't have a roof and it would take you somewhere, but it would also take through a store in TL in the beginning of the ride. I remember it was the best ride in TL besides Autopia! But when i went to DL after the Star Wars Celebration IV, I was in DL for 6 days! and i would look for this ride but could never find it. I'm not sure if it was the peoplemover or not though....

Maybe they will theme it to Tron 2 when it comes out in 2011!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by firebolt413 View Post
    I remember riding this when I was 4 years old in 1997. Well the only thing is that I'm not sure if it was the peoplemover or not now that i think about it. I remember it was this ride where you would go through a bunch of these hallways and occasionally there would be videos of Walt Disney and cars in a circular room, and then eventually you would get to a set of stairs of elevators and go to a terrace on the 2nd floor where you would get into a black car that didn't have a roof and it would take you somewhere, but it would also take through a store in TL in the beginning of the ride. I remember it was the best ride in TL besides Autopia! But when i went to DL after the Star Wars Celebration IV, I was in DL for 6 days! and i would look for this ride but could never find it. I'm not sure if it was the peoplemover or not though....

The attraction you speak of is the Rocket Rods, People Mover's replacement, and the year was 1998. You queued up where Buzz Lightyear's queue is now and you'd see videos of futuristic transportation. You'd also enter the circle vision building and see Walt talk about cars and other modes of transportation.

The ride had major problems and closed officially in 2001 (i think) but was closed for most of 2000 and off and on 1999 too.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I think this has been discussed exhaustively in the past, but I vaguely remember there being new building codes that would be violated if it was restored.
    <BEATDEADHORSE>hit hit hit</BEATDEADHORSE>

There are plenty of other wrong things that could be done with that track. FindingNemoMover, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    According to BlueSky, WDI was thinking of the pods from the Incredibles, but decided against the idea and are now once again debating the issue.
    When you said FindingNemoMover, I was thinking the Incredibles rumor too.

Exactly and neither does Nemo. And of course techincally Buzz is modern day and Star Tours took place a long time ago. Welcome to TodayLand.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    Exactly and neither does Nemo.
    Frustrating.

And of course techincally Buzz is modern day
    Aggravating.

and Star Tours took place a long time ago.
    Debatable. All we know is that the entity telling the Star Wars story is describing events that had already happened. We don't know when the story is being told. It could be a description of events in our future but his/her/its distant past. Which would make a lot more sense...IMO, George Lucas was just trying to give off a fairy tale sort of feel, not literally imply that humans used to inhabit thousands of planets and eventually decided to give up all their technology and settle on Earth.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Frustrating.

Aggravating.

Debatable. All we know is that the entity telling the Star Wars story is describing events that had already happened. We don't know when the story is being told.
    I agree. For theme, Star Tours/Star Wars does fit. Even if it was from our standpoint a long time ago, it is far advanced and possibly what our "tomorrow" holds. Space Mountain, concept is at least futuristic for what it stands for. Their premise is based on things that we (or at least I) see as futuristic in the fact that space exploration is where we continue to explore. HISTA is a grey zone as we can't shrink people and I don't this is something we are going explore.

Nemo and Buzz? OK rides, not bad, at least something new, but where do they really fit?
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    Nemo and Buzz? OK rides, not bad, at least something new, but where do they really fit?

No where. Not in my perfect picture of Disneyland anyway. Epcot's The Living Seas is the new home for sea animals and of course Finding Nemo. It's a perfect spot as any.

Buzz Lightyear in toyform belongs only in Midway Mania... BUT, if Astro Blasters was about the fictional character of Buzz Lightyear in which the toy was based, then it could very well be the future. Treat Astro Blasters with the same attention to detail as they did Star Tours, and you'll have an attraction that will impress and wow everyone no matter how outdated the technology is.

• =)

I agree that BLAB would be much easier to defend if they hadn't included explicit indications that these are toys, not the "real" Buzz Lightyear and Zurg and so forth. But even then, it wouldn't be a perfect match. Just because something is set in the future doesn't mean it's right for Tomorrowland, which must present a unified and cohesive view of the future in order for it to really work. Stylistically, Star Tours looks like a slightly different variation of the same aesthetics that make the better parts of Tomorrowland work, for instance. Even the "real" Buzz Lightyear still looks cartoonish; that's the point, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not appropriate to Tomorrowland, which is fundamentally a hyperrealistic, optimistic sort of take on what the future could be, with a few fantastic twists. Buzz is just pushing it too far.

However, what they COULD do is build a themed land at another park built completely around that universe. It'd be its own self-contained thematic idea, and if they invested a lot of money and imagination in it, I think it could work remarkably well. They'd get their precious movie tie-in, and we'd get a lot of entertaining immersion in a world we can't otherwise visit.

• Ride Enthusiast

I know it's not the ideal solution.. but since Disney seems intent to use the power of their properties to sell a ride idea (rather than go with an original idea and have faith in the fact that people will like something even it's not easily makertable and linked to a Disney Media Property)..

The peoplemover could be themed to Wall-E.

I was thinking about this in another thread about Tommorowland. Someone mentioned the moving chairs and transports abord the Axiom and it got me thinking about that.

Turn the Peoplemover into something like a "corporate tour" of Tommorowland, sponsored by BnL. Have it take place before the events of the movie when BnL was still active and in charge of everything.

You could even utilize the technology found on Monsters, Inc. to have video screens and whatnot while on the "tour". It would almost be like a common Dark Ride, except it's outside and in the air.

Then, you could utilize the indoor portions (where TRON was) to have some story and plot elements to the ride... even include some Wall-E animatronics to make it more "brand-friendly".

I know it sounds cheap.. but at least it's a good use for the Peoplemover tracks that satisifies the "Futuristic" theme we all want as well as the "Brand Marketability" that Disney wants.

It's better than nothing.

• =)

Blargh...I don't really want to refute WALL-E's supposed thematic appropriateness to Tomorrowland again. Anyone else wanna give it a shot?

In the mean time...thanks, but no thanks, Dreamer81312.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast