Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Re: When will there be a new interpretation of the Peoplemover?

Look at all the work that has gone on in LA to seismically upgrade freeway over passes and support columns. That is the kind of thing that would have to be done to use the Peoplemover pathway again. Looks of money, lots of time and concrete work. Seems unlikely, given that park attendance seems to be slipping and a ton of money is being spent on DCA, that PM is going to get rebuilt anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Of all the rides at Disneyland, BLAB is the one ride I wish would just disappear.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    Of all the rides at Disneyland, BLAB is the one ride I wish would just disappear.
    Buzz isn't perfect, but it beats HISTA and whatever they are now calling Innoventions.
    PM should be able to come back, the track was never messed with (except for the "launch" area) so it should be granfathered in, the the orig. cars should be able to come back online.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

What u mean by launch area??? R u talkin bout the tron tunnel or the launch elevator?????

• Animatronic

Wall-E is not optimstic enough for Tomorrowland, however, re-theming the churro carts to Buy'n Large is tempting.

I suspect the rumors about why the people mover can't come back are mostly bogus or easily overcome... structural flaws, safety laws, etc. The propulsion system was removed and it would probably be just costly enough that they don't want to spend money to return the same old thing. Tomorrowland first major overhaul was 4 years after opening, the next was 11 years after opening. It seems to me, this abomonation of a Tomorrowland has worn out it's welcome. I say restore the people mover, remove the astro-orbitor, put something as cool as the rocket jets back up top, update Star Tours, and replace Buzz with something at least as futuristic as Innerspace was when it opened.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Wall-E is not optimstic enough for Tomorrowland, however, re-theming the churro carts to Buy'n Large is tempting.
    For. The. Win.

I think it would cool to bring the people mover back and try to create some sort of interactive element for it, but one that would not be dominant element:

- The groups of vehicles pass by "fish tanks" with real time cgi alien fish that would actually realistically react to your vehicle as it passed by. Some fish would be attracted to certain colors and they would know if someone was ridding in a car or not as they follow your car and watched you. Different species of fish would appear at different times a day with the most beautiful and unusual species early in the morning and late at night.

- I would love to see Wall-E characters along the ride with the Robots working on building and maintaining Tomorrowland.

- Each car could have a button(s) that could trigger elements along the ride path making the riders able to effect the actual Tomorrowland environment. Some elements you could trigger could be obvious, but a lot of elements would be "Easter eggs" as well. You pass by an alien fish tank and pushing the button would send some food into the tank. Pushing your button as your vehicle passes a sculpture of propellers makes them all spin. At night the riders could effect lighting in Tommorowland with a press of a button.

• Ride Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    I think it would cool to bring the people mover back and try to create some sort of interactive element for it, but one that would not be dominant element:

- The groups of vehicles pass by "fish tanks" with real time cgi alien fish that would actually realistically react to your vehicle as it passed by. Some fish would be attracted to certain colors and they would know if someone was ridding in a car or not as they follow your car and watched you. Different species of fish would appear at different times a day with the most beautiful and unusual species early in the morning and late at night.

- I would love to see Wall-E characters along the ride with the Robots working on building and maintaining Tomorrowland.

- Each car could have a button(s) that could trigger elements along the ride path making the riders able to effect the actual Tomorrowland environment. Some elements you could trigger could be obvious, but a lot of elements would be "Easter eggs" as well. You pass by an alien fish tank and pushing the button would send some food into the tank. Pushing your button as your vehicle passes a sculpture of propellers makes them all spin. At night the riders could effect lighting in Tommorowland with a press of a button.

Soo.. kind of like what they're doing with Kim Possible in Epcot... but with hidden elements all throughout Tommorowland..

OMG! That's genius.

Turn All of Tommorowland into an interactive game but have it be controlled from the peoplemover cars. Push buttons and make hidden events happen. I can't think of a story element to tie it all in at this point.. but it wouldn't cost that much to implement. Some GPS tracking on the cars, some random programmed sequences, some hidden animatronics scattered here and there (even some Wall-E bots scattered about helping to keep tommorowland clean).

That's a really great idea. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer81382 View Post
    Soo.. kind of like what they're doing with Kim Possible in Epcot... but with hidden elements all throughout Tommorowland..

OMG! That's genius.

Turn All of Tommorowland into an interactive game but have it be controlled from the peoplemover cars. Push buttons and make hidden events happen. I can't think of a story element to tie it all in at this point.. but it wouldn't cost that much to implement. Some GPS tracking on the cars, some random programmed sequences, some hidden animatronics scattered here and there (even some Wall-E bots scattered about helping to keep tommorowland clean).

That's a really great idea. ^_^
    Thanks.

I never thought of it like the 'Kim Possible' game at Epcot, but...ya...that is sort of what I was thinking. It would be cool since it would offer lots of re-rideability.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Buzz isn't perfect, but it beats HISTA and whatever they are now calling Innoventions.
    PM should be able to come back, the track was never messed with (except for the "launch" area) so it should be granfathered in, the the orig. cars should be able to come back online.

While the platform the track was on has not been modified, the "track" itself has been completely replaced. I don't know if the replaced track would constitute enough of a change from the original to remove it from granfathering. But whatever the decision of that would be, the original cars couldn't be 'returned' since most of them were destroyed. I doubt there are more than a dozen left that could be refurbished.

Even if there were, I seriously doubt that they would want to go back to that version. They would most likely want to create a new and significantly improved version.

i think that the new peoplemover should just take you through a series of fight footage from Georges St. Pierre, the UFC fighter. Technically that is the future of all human beings. More like a cyborg.

• Koubu Pilot

At least for Buzz and Nemo, they border Fantasyland itsself as opposed to having to walk into the Space Mountain area or a caul de sac where there's no outlet to Fantasyland.

Since a huge topic of today is all about saving energy and going green, it would be a perfect time to bring back the Peoplemover! As you pass over the subs, a narration could talk about the new non-polluting systems in the subs. The narrator could also mention the bio fuel used in the DLRR. If they make the Autopia fuel free, that could be one more thing to point out along the way. I know at one point, all of the plant life in TL was edable, so if that is still true, that is yet another fun little educational fact to point out along the way. It is a great time for Disney to advertize that one of the busiest tourist destinations in the world is making efforts to save the environment. General Electric (among many other companies) have been airing a bunch of commercials about how they're developing new technology to save energy, so I don't even see how aquiring a sponsor for the ride would be a problem for them. IMO, a somewhat educational "green" ride would draw a good amount of people in. I dunno, is that TOO EPCOT?

I was watching a YouTube video of the Skyway the other day because I couldn't remember where the TL loading area used to be, and I was once again amazed at what a bustling place TL used to be- all the different forms of transportation going at once, etc. TL is a sad, sad place these days.

TL at WDW is the one land at MK that hands-down beats its DL counterpart. They never really remodeled their TL so it has kind of that 70's-80's vision of the future to it. Yeah the rails along the PM (TTA) track have cobwebs all over them, but the ride is great and there's an overall excitement- not so much for the future, per se- but more a nostalgia for a time when our vision of the future was more wide-eyed and optimistic.

That's one of TL's myriad of thematic problems. Old TL painted a picture of a bright, glass-half-full, gee-whiz Tomorrow. Thing is, Americans' outlook for the future is considerably less optimistic. We mostly see doom and gloom in our future (the whole concept of WALL-E epitomizes this) based on the environment. Sure, there may be a "great big beautiful tomorrow," but only if we can mitigate the looming environmental crisis.

Personally, I prefer the old wide-eyed concept of progress to the common pending-disaster notion. A return to that nostalgia, IMO, would be a better way to revitalize TL than taking the EPCOT-style green fad route.

Another thought- man would I love to get up there and walk that old track!

• Disney Geek

Answer to the question.....not very soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast