Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: No more astro Orbitor?

I hope this is true. I'm very happy, that thing needs to be removed.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Rocket Jets
    Observatron

The red central part and the white arms coming off of it and pointing down are what make up the bulk of the observatron. They added lots of little doo-dads to the Observatron to make it look significantly different, but it is the exact same mechanical components that used to be the ride.

Now I get what you people mean. I now see it. I though it was what I post pictures of in my last post. Thanks Mycroft.

PHHHHH

PHHHHH

People mover guys, seriously?

The rocket rods are what it's all about! Let's bring those back. haha

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    Not to be a downer, but noones said anything about the rockets returning to their old platform. It sounds like this was a maintenance decision, not phase 1 of WDI redoing TL. I certainly hope they prove me wrong but for now I'm not holding my breath.
    Disneyland has always had this basic attraction in some form though in Tomorrowland. Even if it takes a while, I'm certain that it will return eventually. Of course, assuming this rumor is true.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    I am not even sure the state would let them put it back. Trying to make the rotating platform stable at that height would take some massive engineering. I assume it could be done, but I bet the cost would be prohibitive. I would guess that they would have to tear the whole thing up and sink a massive foundation to act as a counterweight and continue the stress path all the way up.

The state would require them to engineer it as if all the rockets were fully elevated as a 7+ earthquake hit.
    I dunno about that one. It's safe to say that they wouldn't even be able to use the Observatron if the thing was unstable. It could still fall and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    Disneyland has always had this basic attraction in some form though in Tomorrowland. Even if it takes a while, I'm certain that it will return eventually. Of course, assuming this rumor is true.
    One can only hope. Of course, if they DID bring them back, they'd probably theme it to Stitch or something. Actually, I'd be okay with it if they were in their proper place.

• Queen Elsa

This may have been said before and if so sorry but. That water ball thing what ever it's call that is next to the Pizza place and Star Trade store what was there before that?

• Fancy that...

I hope this happens...but I can't help but think of it wierd having the observatron as the new weenie for TL...hopefully only for a while before they do something with the PM platform.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    This may have been said before and if so sorry but. That water ball thing what ever it's call that is next to the Pizza place and Star Trade store what was there before that?
    The entrance to Space Mtn when they had the speed ramps.

• Infinitized!

I hope they put it back on the platform where the rocket jets were. I admit, I haven't ridden the old Rocket Jets or the Astro Orbitor yet.

• It's all about Theme!

I like the current design of Astro Orbiter and the rocks.

Weird, I know.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post

Weird, I know.

Nothing weird about that. The concept art was certainly attractive and it isn't "ugly" in that sense. It's just a bottle neck / crowd flow nightmare / and a tamer ride. The amount of pros and cons are probably equal, but the size of the cons are pretty huge.

If Disneyland is going to continue to have massive crowds, selling the amount of APs and letting in freebies in this year, they need to address Tomorrowland's Weenie before they attempt anything else in the park.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post

Weird, I know.
    Not the weirdest thing in the world. I think the Astro Orbitor and the rocks are visually quite cool, at least out of context. They make great eye candy. The traffic flow is a bit of an issue - albeit not as big as many here make it out to be, IMO - and they are, of course, completely inappropriate to what the intent of Tomorrowland should be. Not to mention the lack of altitude compared to the Rocket Jets. But I find nothing aesthetically displeasing about the design.

The paint on the Astro Orbitor has been faded and chipped very badly for the past couple years, especially on the gold structures around it. I am surprised that no Disney freaks have taken note of this (I noticed that a few of Darkbeer's photos of the surrounding "planets" practically show primer, he may have noticed this).

The only time Disney ever lets something get this bad (At least since 2003ish) is when they're planning a major refurbishment, or tearing the thing out. I wouldn't be surprised if they're just repainted the thing silver and blue to mix it better with the current Tomorrowland.

Disney probably wouldn't take it out without a replacement, and they wouldn't convert the Observatron without also bringing back the Peoplemover. This is because, so I assume, you can't have construction on the Peoplemover/Astro Jets while one or the other is running. Obviously, they have to do something with that track, and it would be a bad idea to build a new ride, only to shut it down a year or two later to tear down the track or build a new ride below it. Therefore, this project would likely be a part of returning the Peoplemover, if indeed they plan to tear down the Astro Orbitor.

(I am aware that the Peoplemover shut down in 1995 and the Rocket Jets ran until early 1997, but there was no heavy platform work until the Rocket Jets shut down)

With the economy as it is, and such a project really only marketable to a small group of Disney internet fans, I would more heavily suspect that they're repainting the Astro Orbitor and holding off on any demolition until they have a new, more marketable "New Tomorrowland." They're probably waiting until people forget about the last Tomorrowland marketing blitz in 1998 to start another major project, because otherwise, they'd be accused of screwing up.

Conclusion - they're going to close it and repaint it blue, white, and silver this Spring.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by dl1955pounds View Post
    they're going to close it and repaint it blue, white, and silver this Spring.
    Hmm.. This seems much more likely than Astro being removed.

• Pie > Cake

This is how tomorrowland entrance should look. It was this way until they changed tomorrowland. I want it back this way. Remove the Astro Orbiter and bring back the Rocket Jets back to where they should be.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast