Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

No more astro Orbitor?

Quote from Miceage:
    The Astro Orbitor looks like it might not make it to summer and will be removed. The decision is being based on the cost to maintain and fix the attraction (Similar to the Rocket Rods decision). That will leave Honey, I Shrunk the Audience as the only remain "new" attraction from the big 1998 Tomorrowland makeover. Hopefully they will remove the rocks at the same time!

Are they removing the Astro Orbitor to move it back above the Peoplemover / Rocketrods track? I would think that Disney would not remove an attraction that so many people used with out replacing it with something else.

• Special Agent

Re: No more astro Orbitor?

The astro orbitor will never be moved to the people mover platform as the old platform cannot support the weight of the new attractions. Currently the Astro Orbitor is scheduled to go down for two months in April.

• Sock Puppet

To us, it wouldn't matter either way.

It will be nice to lose the rock formation though. We never cared for them to begin with.

• Hello

Cool Re: No more astro Orbitor?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    To us, it wouldn't matter either way.

It will be nice to lose the rock formation though. We never cared for them to begin with.
    I second that.

• Circle of Ancients

Thank God.

Hopefully once they start with a new Peoplemover, they will re-build the platform and put the rockets back in their proper place.

• aka the scorpion eater!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Thank God.

Hopefully once they start with a new Peoplemover, they will re-build the platform and put the rockets back in their proper place.
    But how many years have we wanted a new people mover or wanted the old one back... let me see... 1994 was how many years ago?

Oh thats right... almost 15 years without a peoplemover and a track still remaining to taunt us and have us begging and pleading for it to come back!
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• Circle of Ancients

My feeling is we will NEVER get a new Peoplemover. That track is going to need ALOT of work that it's just going to be cheaper to tear it out.

• =)

EDIT: Whoops. =)

• Cove Bar Official Dj

how can dumbo run and be maintained fine but astro orbiter is "too costly"??? and will not make it till summer?

doesn't make sense....
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• At Work

Oh please don't take the Astro Orbitor out/shut it down. My daughter is 2.5 old and every time we go to DL she has to ride that multiple times. At home we pretend to ride the "rockets" where she sits in a box and I say the whole spiel and move her around in the box - sometimes even lifting her off the ground. I even make the hydraulic sounds as the rockets come in for a landing. For a kid this ride is awesome.

-mark
    I surf MiceChat like I spend my time at Disneyland sitting on the bench and watch the people go by.

• Lady & The Tramp

Angry Re: No more astro Orbitor?

Quote Originally Posted by SiRocket View Post
    how can dumbo run and be maintained fine but astro orbiter is "too costly"??? and will not make it till summer?

doesn't make sense....
    Seriously!!! That is the stupidest thing I have ever hear. They have been talking about bringing back the people movers since before I started working there.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Plans are, if worked out, that the Rocket jets will go back to the platform on top of the Peoplemover where they belong, but will be replaced with jet packs.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMan View Post
    For a kid this ride is awesome.
    Since this is micechat, you will quickly learn that what your child may like and find fun is really pointless compared to what other people liked as children years ago. Until your child learns to post on the internet, their opinions are sadly meaningless here.

But I too like the Astro Orbitor and wish it would stay.

Let me also add that the top part of the structure was meant to rotate counter to the direction the base of the attraction spun. That created the illusion of flying past, and almost hitting, the orbs on the top while on the attraction. The motor inside the structure that spun the top stop functioning several years ago and the rumor at the time was that the whole thing would have to be dismantled to fix it - that COULD be what they are referring to by increased maintenance costs.

• ...TWO BITS!

Like what SiRocket said, what about Dumbo? Although Astro has those non-working "planets". How long have they not worked? There was also rumors about the astro symbols coming down. Which is silly.

Nautilus, jet packs? Interesting. I always thought "rockets" and space travel has been overkill. I thought "hover cars" would do the trick. But jet packs...hmmm...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Since this is micechat, you will quickly learn that what your child may like and find fun is really pointless compared to what other people liked as children years ago. Until your child learns to post on the internet, their opinions are sadly meaningless here.
    Bit harsh there. Since Disneyland is for everyone, I would posit that their child's opinion and enjoyment is every bit as valid as any one of our opinions.

I too agree though that the AO should be retained in some form. Ideally, it would be removed to the PM platform where it belongs... but that involves a lot of work and re-design of either the PM Platform, the AO, or both. I would definitely like to see the faux crater disappear as the rocks just get in the way of traffic and bottleneck the heck out of things.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast