Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking First time trip coming in May.......

Hi!

We are going to be in Anaheim May 3 to May 11. With four days at Disneyland in the middle (probably Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri). It is my first trip since I was 9 and my husband's first trip ever. We can't wait

Seriously, I have been counting down since like 240 sleeps!!

Anyways, I am thinking the crowds may not be too bad then?? I hope?

This is a real budget trip so we are staying at the Super 8, but it is $58 a night, with free parking, free breakfast and a pool.

I also bought the california city pass for 2009 way back in november, so I could pay it off.

Annnnnnnnnd, it is a total fluke, but I am going to be in Disneyland on my birthday!!!! I think it will be the best birthday ever! I have already signed up for my free ticket and we will get my husbands when we get there.

At the 60 day mark I am going to call and see if I can get some kind of priority seating at the Blue Bayou.

I have done some serious web reasearch, and I know on the first day we are there we are headings straight down main street and hanging a left.......Indy, Pirates, Mansion, Splash Mountaina, Big Thunder and Jungle Cruise will all be first......I hope!!

Any advice/tips for us newbies? What should we not miss out riding/eating/shopping/etc?

Kristine.

• Hello

Cool Re: First time trip coming in May.......

My only advise is to enjoy yourself and to make the best of it. Have fun!

• I'm not really here

Re: First time trip coming in May.......

Be flexible.

If you are walking to Space Mountain and you notice that Indy has a 10 minute wait... ride Indy.

If you are walking through the hub, stop by and check out the ride wait time board to see what times are like. This can save you a trip to Splash Mountain when the wait times are long. With 4 days at the park, you will get on everything easily if you are just flexible. We always get on everything and most attractions get 2 or even 3 ridings over four days.

The park shouldn't be very busy when you are there, but stranger things have happened.

Most of all, live in the moment and have as much fun as you can... it's DISNEYLAND!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Wow! You guys are quick

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

First off Welcome to MiceChat and congrats on the upcoming trip!!! Since you haven't been since you were 9, it will almost be like a first time trip for you too!

I don't know where you are coming from, but the weather in early May in Anaheim is usually very nice! The days will be very warm, and the nights are usually perfect. Could be a bit cool, but not bad.

Crowds on weekend will most likely still be heavy, but since most of your trip will be in the middle of the week and you have several days to get everything in you should have no problems.

I don't know if the Super 8 has a shuttle (I know they aren't on the ART line), but remember if you drive to the park to include the $12 a day parking at the park into your budget.

Certainly do the Blue Bayou. Its expensive, but its fun to do at least once just for the atmosphere. This site will show you all the places to eat, what they serve and the prices so you and see what is available in park before you get there.

Disneyland Resort Menus

Shopping?? There are plenty of places in the park for souvenirs and such. Many rides exit out into stores. There are plenty of places in Downtown Disney also, but I've only walked through there on my way to the Lost Bar so I can't offer any advice on what they have or how much.

As for rides... sounds like you've got a great plan for hitting some of the major ones right away! With several days to explore the parks, I think you will be able to pretty much see EVERYTHING! Take your time, enjoy, spend some time on a bench resting and people watching if you need and just enjoy the magic!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

How wonderful! I'm happy for you as you "reunite" with the Park. I think your timing sounds good. Crowds shouldn't be too bad -- although in my experience the "off season" doesn't really exist any more, so be prepared! It's always amazing to me how many people really are there any given day, even when you're thinking, "hmm, middle of the week, non-holiday time, where did all these folks come from?!"

Don't miss Peter Pan's Flight! In fact, you might want to hit that first. It's one of those attractions that is truly "Fast Pass" worthy, but is still a traditional queue -- and I've never seen it less than a 30-minute wait. So maybe you can sneak in if you head straight for the castle.

Actually, you can pick up Fast Passes for all those other west-side biggies, except for Jungle Cruise, I believe. And as far as Pirates, I don't think you really need one -- especially if you go later in the evening, which is sorta cool 'cause it's such a wonderful ride that you can "save it" for later, plus, going after dark, it just seems better going from "real" night outside to the "fake" night inside -- and since your eyes are more accustomed to the dark already, you might see more than when you're "blinded" in the daytime and your eyes have to adjust. But that's just me -- the ride is great any time!

Don't miss Storybookland -- again, the night-time makes it especially fantastic -- all those little houses lit up by little lights; charming and magical indeed. Although it gets tricky 'cause whenever there's a parade they shut it down a little before, during, and after the parade. And, the line is always long, but it's worth it. It's one of those sacred original places that Walt touched, and it hasn't really changed much since then (save for some added buildings that represent newer characters like Aladdin and Ariel).

I hear that if you ask nice, you can get a ride on the Lilly Belle (the fancy caboose on one of the steam trains) -- that sounds like a cool thing to try.

Hmm, that's all I can think of just off the top of my head for now. I know you'll have a great time -- enjoy!

Werner

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    I hear that if you ask nice, you can get a ride on the Lilly Belle (the fancy caboose on one of the steam trains) -- that sounds like a cool thing to try.
    This would make my husbands YEAR. He is really excited about the railway and the mark twain, he loves/collects/sometimes builds all things steam. So any unique experience that he would get out of this would make him really happy.

Thanks everyone I think we will have lots of fun.

I ordered the Citypass through universal, because then you get a second day free with them. So, we have 4 days at DL, possibly 2 at Universal, and then a trip to the Zoo and Seaworld.

84 days......it is finally a realistic number of days and is going to be here soon!

I booked our flights through Airmiles (I think that may be a Canadian thing), anyways, to get the dates I wanted I had to book waaaaay back in August 2008.....so I have been counting down since then. It was far, far too long to wait!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I know how you feel. I booked our trip and airline back in August for our trip to WDW. It seemed so far away. Now it is getting to be reality - see my countdown ticker below

Everything said is really great advice. Don't forget to go see the Billy Hill show, you won't be disappointed. And over in DCA, take in Aladdin.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine30 View Post
    This would make my husbands YEAR. He is really excited about the railway and the mark twain, he loves/collects/sometimes builds all things steam. So any unique experience that he would get out of this would make him really happy.
    When you ride the Mark Twain you can also ask the CM's on the dock if you can ride in the very top with the "pilot/captain." Its a great view from the very top! Its up to the captains desecration, but most of the time they will let a few people up there.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I will be sure to ask at both the train and the mark twain.

I have another question, does the fantasmic dessert buffet still exist? I have been finding conflicting reports.

I was thinking that and the blue bayou would be my birthday treats.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

First off, congratulations and welcome. I'd pick up a few Disneyland/So Cal touring books either at the store or library. As well as I know the park I love looking thru my tourist books in anticipation of a trip.

That time of years the crowds won't be too bad but you will probably hit June Gloom weather. Which means overcast in the morning. Which I like because it's better than the heat.

If you are a monorail fan ask please may I sit up with the pilot? Little things like that make the trip more special. Take lots of pictures and share them with us!

You are going to have the best time!!!

Oh yes, it is going to be the best time

I am just hoping I haven't gotten TOO excited and built it up TOO much for DH......so, when we get there he would be all "huh, this is it?"

I have another question.

How strict is the no brinigng food in the park rule? In my little purse I was wanting to pack a couple granola bars, maybe some carrot sticks and a bottle of water; will I get away with that?

My plan is to not have us eat in the park until lunch, then it is just lunch, dinner and maybe buying one or two snacks......churros!!!! I remember those from when I was a kid

Do they still have the frozen , chocolate covered bananas?

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

As far as smuggling in food... I always have a water bottle in my purse and have naver been stopped for it at the park. Have also brought in granola bars no problem. The only time I've been stopped for food was a donut episode about 10 years ago. From what I read on this board it kind of depends on who is checking the bag the minute you go thru.

And churros! I'm 400 miles away... don't get me thinking about churros!

• Storyteller

Congratulations. I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to visit the park for the first time as an adult. Disneyland has been instilled in my memory since I can remember, and I'm very jealous you get to see it all for the first time as an adult.

The only real advice I can give you is to get to the park at opening and start collecting FastPasses one after the other and save them up for use later in the day (sometimes I use them all at once and just go on a spree). They will save you so much time in line. I'm sure there are many other helpful tips people will give you on here. Above all, just make sure to have a great time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast