Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocket Rods 2.0

• We Go On.

Re: Rocket Rods 2.0

Really, it could be a good idea. But I think I'm actually wanting Peoplemover to come back more.

• When Will It Return?

If you want to build the Rocket Rods the right way, I'm totally all for it. *LOUD GASPS*

...as long as it's built as its own attraction, and doesn't try to use (and break) the Peoplemover track again.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    The only part that I didn't care for about the Rocket Rods (besides the fact that they were always breaking down) was the noise.

All day and night long, zoom, zoom, zoom... (well, again, IF they were running).

We were honored with our first ride walk-off on the R-R's and experienced three other delays/stops during its tenure there.
    Oh god I remember that noise they made, sooo annoying. If anyone want's to be reminded here's a good video.

YouTube - Rocket Rods Attraction (Disneyland)

• =)

I have mixed feelings about all those screeching sounds. They got to be a bit much, yes. But a limited amount of noise from an attraction up there is a good thing, I think - it encourages that kinetic feel.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Not true - they certainly weren't tearing Tomorrowland apart. They were just tearing themselves apart. If banked turns were built into the track, it'd be perfectly viable to have medium- or high-speed vehicles up there. It'd be expensive, but that's why we pay $60+ for admission.
    Bank turns would make the Rocket rods operable. The main thing that went wrong with the ride was Paul Pressler. Everything this "grim cheaper" touched never failed to fall apart.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Hello

Cool Re: Rocket Rods 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    eh...What about a new fantastic peoplemover that doesn't go as slow as it used to and looks like the new monorails just in small pod-like form?

Those are crazy. Maybe those would work with my idea, as stated below.

But one of my ideas for the Peoplemover is to have the seats on a rotating platform, within the cars. Almost kinda like BLAB, but rotating inside the vehicle. People can then see what they want to see with maximum efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Aside from the speed-related damage to the track, vehicles, and (allegedly) the buildings, what else was so insanely problematic?
    Wasn't there an issue with the tires burning out daily or something like that?

I personally liked the Rocket Rods. Whenever I see cities of the future in film or TV or even in my head, I always see cars and transports zipping around. Peoplemover was serene and calming, but Rocket Rods made TL more exciting and wonderous.

I don't think we need mini test track, but something more than a walking pace would be good if they were brought back.

If only Disney had spent the money to do the attraction right. Most of Dinsney's big flubs (TL 98 and DCA) have been issues of cutting costs. Hopefully they can learn and spend the appropriate money instead of cutting corners to keep costs down and then having the attraction ultimately fail.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post

Those look like Power Ranger helmets...clearly, I've been watching too much Sentai! I like 'em, though.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    Oh god I remember that noise they made, sooo annoying. If anyone want's to be reminded here's a good video.

YouTube - Rocket Rods Attraction (Disneyland)
    Cool, it seems like the planets on the Astro Orbitor had more motion too?

• =)

I really do miss the Rocket Rods. That track has a lot of potential.

wow all these replies i am stoked i really do misss the rocket rods course i was like 5 but what ever we need something up there

• Hello

Cool Re: Rocket Rods 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboii View Post
    we need something up there
    yes we do. I feel like Tomorrowland is the weakest land in terms of rides (or lack of rides), although Frontierland is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Those are crazy. Maybe those would work with my idea, as stated below.

But one of my ideas for the Peoplemover is to have the seats on a rotating platform, within the cars. Almost kinda like BLAB, but rotating inside the vehicle. People can then see what they want to see with maximum efficiency.
    I like that idea!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post
    It's not physically possible to have a high-speed vehicle on the peoplemover track. The original Rocket Rods were literally tearing Tomorrowland apart. Anything done with that track will have to be slow speed.
    Actually its possible with some structural modifcations such as banked turns and new track.

The issue was Disney decided sometime in the late 90s to no longer invest heavily in the american parks and did not give the Rocket Rods an adequate budget. Fealing that America was a "mature market" and that people would come to the parks simply because of the Disney name brand and charecters. That is why the foriegn parks get all the Disney quality stuff and we get attractions and events that are poorly concieved, underfunded, or just plain mediocre.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Wasn't there an issue with the tires burning out daily or something like that?
    It was more like biweekly... You wouldn't stand for it if your personal car only got two months out of a set of tires, which is about the equivalent. They didn't have the steering geometry right on the Rocket Rods rear axle, and the tires scrubbed in every turn - and the track surface was the same ultra-aggressive sanded traction paint they use on Aircraft Carrier flight decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I personally liked the Rocket Rods. Whenever I see cities of the future in film or TV or even in my head, I always see cars and transports zipping around. Peoplemover was serene and calming, but Rocket Rods made TL more exciting and wonderous.

I don't think we need mini test track, but something more than a walking pace would be good if they were brought back.

If only Disney had spent the money to do the attraction right. Most of Disney's big flubs (TL 98 and DCA) have been issues of cutting costs. Hopefully they can learn and spend the appropriate money instead of cutting corners to keep costs down and then having the attraction ultimately fail.
    They would need to totally rework the track over the Sub Lagoon and Autopia to allow high speed runs out there - Reinforced Concrete doesn't allow the needed flexibility. They would have to totally re-think it with expansion joints and rubber flex plates and a LOT more steel in the supports and tighter engineered post-tensioned concrete elements, so it can move with the stresses (and the occasional earthquake) without ever going into tension.

Easier to do is moderate reinforcing of the track inside the Tomorrowland buildings to allow a medium speed zoom in there.

But I still think a far better use of the money would be a true Personal Transit System - pods that go to DCA and the Hotels, and ARTIC and the Third Theme Park Site (for CM Parking access now) and the two new Disney run hotels at Gardenwalk...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12