Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Flying Saucers in DCA - not the first time this idea has been rehashed?

Browsing other content.. I found these old references in 2000 to rumors that the Carousal of Progress in the MK was to be replaced with.. a reincarnation of the Flying Saucers from the original DL.

I'm suprised no one mentioned this when this idea came back for the DCA rebuild. Was this a wildly accepted rumor back then in 2000-2002?

The rumor is from 2000 Jim Hill and later referenced by the Orlando Sentinel.

According to Disney expert Jim Hill, when plans were originally drawn up in the early 1990s for a massive overhaul of Tomorrowland, the Carousel Of Progress was slated to be closed. The theater space was to be gutted and transformed into a new edition of the "Flying Saucers" ride that had been at Disneyland from 1961-66. But when the Disney Corporation suffered enormous financial losses following the opening of EuroDisneyland outside of Paris, plans for the overhaul of Tomorrowland were scaled back with an emphasis on doing the makeover for as little money as possible
    By the end of the 1990s, Carousel was once again becoming a more neglected component of Disney World, with less maintenance being performed and the attraction shut down most of the year. Only during "peak" periods of attendance at the Park was the Carousel opened up again with the most recent period of operation occurring for several weeks in the summer of 2002. Rumors are once again circulating that Carousel's long-term future is bleak with Disney Imagineers again anxious to build a new "Flying Saucers" ride in the existing theater space for a possible 2005 opening to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Disneyland
    The the Orlando Sentinel quotes
    Are Flying Saucers coming to Magic Kingdom? Sources say that Disney Imagineers recently drew up preliminary plans for a Flying Saucers attraction that could replace Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress at the Magic Kingdom. The attraction would be based on the original Flying Saucers at Disneyland in which individually controlled vehicles floated on a cushion of air.

But the ride, which was prone to breakdowns, closed after five years in 1966. Though Flying Saucers has taken a back seat to more immediate projects, such as the future Mission Space ride at Epcot, it could open sometime in the next three years, according to sources familiar with the plans. Then again, it could be shelved for years.

Some Disney fans aren't too happy about the prospect of Carousel closing down. One man has even launched a petition drive on the Internet to save the Carousel. Not to worry, said Walt Disney World spokesman Craig Dezern, Carousel won't be shut down.
    All of these quotes are from Pavilions & Attractions - General Electric - Page Ten

If true.. certainly the saucers have had quite a spot in WDI's hearts for some time eh?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Re: Flying Saucers in DCA - not the first time this idea has been rehashed?

I did hear something about this, but never really took it for reality. I think it is a good thing they're finally bringing them back though, I've always wanted to ride an attraction like this.

• OM NOM NOM

I'm excited for the return of the saucers- assuming, of course, they get the technology right to avoid rocket-rod-length downtimes. >_<
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Banned User

I'm a little confused was this rumor for disneyland or walt disney world? It talks about the carousel which was and still currently is in WDW but then it talks about disneyland. Which is it?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    I'm a little confused was this rumor for disneyland or walt disney world? It talks about the carousel which was and still currently is in WDW but then it talks about disneyland. Which is it?
    This is in 2000 - when the CoP had been in MK for almost 30 years already. It's referencing the saucers from DL. The rumor was at the time to close CoP, and put saucers in its place.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I think that just shows that Imagineering is looking for a way to bring back a current version of that early (but flawed) attraction.
    The Mur

• I'm not really here

They claim to have figured out how to get it to work, and having a modern computer ride control system could very well have solved a lot of the issues with it. I'm really looking forward to start of construction on this one.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Thinking about doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If true.. certainly the saucers have had quite a spot in WDI's hearts for some time eh?
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple attempts to bring back the saucers. I'm old enough to remember the original at Disneyland and it was one of our favorite rides.

There were basically the world's coolest bumper cars. Bumping into people was fun and the added challenge of trying to get your saucer to go in the desired direction made it even better. It was like someone built a set of bumper cars which ran on an ice rink.

And it was one of the best rides to watch. Observing people on most rides isn't that much fun. But watching them try to control the saucers and bump into each other is true entertainment. I hope the new one in DCA has some seats looking down on the ride area so we can watch the hovering mayhem.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I too remember the originals. They were great because you never knew when they were just going to go totally out of control. Plus they broke down so much it was a real badge of honor in the ten-year-old set to say you had been on them.

I'd love to see them come back but I've got an idea they would be "safer" and not nearly as much fun.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I wouldn't believe everything you hear, especially from Jim Hill Media or Screamscape
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Banned User

Thers actually concept art of the flying saucers in the COP building on the net. They looked alot cooler than the cartoon tie-in they ended up going with.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

There also was an Imagineering behind the scenes video that showed them tested the Flying Saucers. I believe it was aired on the Disney Channel. Going to have to see if I can find it now...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I'd love to see them come back but I've got an idea they would be "safer" and not nearly as much fun.
    This is pretty much how I see it. With how the bumper cars in Flik's Fun Faire turned out, I can't imagine that the new flying saucers could be any more fun than a slow moving trackless aquatopia.

When we went to the preview center for the overhaul of DCA, I noticed a new attraction that looked a lot like the Flying Saucers, but it was in Carsland, so the theming wasn't based on Flying Saucers it was something else. I asked the CM about it and they didn't know anything about the attraction.

• Minion

Theme wise, I'd still much rather ride Jetsons style "flying saucers" in Tomorrowland than a bunch "old tires" on a lot. Call me a romantic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast