DCA Temporary Entrance

With construction progressing in Paradise Pier and the transformation of Sunshine Plaza into Buena Vista Street lurking, DCA will soon become Disney's Construction Adventure. As we all know, this involves the creation of a temporary park entrance. Disney has been trying to think of a logical location for this entrance; first, considering the unused Stage 17 in HPB and then, planning on the cramped Golden State utility gate in between GCH and Soarin'.

Well, I have my own idea for a temporary entrance, that although may be a bit more costly, it will allow for better flow for guests.

The location would be west of the current entrance, east of the La Brea Cafe and north of Soarin'.
    Here's a map of my idea (Note: when you hit the link, the map shows up misaligned, so zoom out and in to get the right placement.):
    Live Maps

This new entrance would require the demolition of the wall and shrubbery in the current location. Also, the new entrance corridors will be lightly themed to reflect Condor Flats.
    Guests in Line 1 and 2 will be directed to the western corridor while guests in Lines 3 and 4 will be directed to the eastern one. Both corridors lead into Condor Flats.

With the plan, the entrance would still be within the current security check with direct access from the esplanade. If the lines flow past the ticket booths, those booths might have to close just because it would cause cross-traffic.
    It might still be a bit crowded but I feel it is better than the plan to use the Golden State utility gate. The Condor Flats theming shouldn't be very costly, unfortunately, it won't make for a very aesthetically pleasing entrance but it will only be for 6-8 months.

Also, I realize it would affect the outdoor Taste Pilots Grill seating area but I don't feel that that is a major loss.

So what do you think?
    Won't work very well or is a better choice?

Once again, before you comment, I understand that demolishing the walls and adding the minimal theming required, will cost money as opposed to Disney just opening up a gate and putting turnstiles there. This whole idea was more about crowd control and keeping the current security checks more than a good looking entrance into a park that will be filled with construction walls anyway.

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: DCA Temporary Entrance

I like your idea much better due to the fact that the guests will have more walking space when going in and out and people will be less cramped.

• DLR Cast Member

I can appreciate your idea about a new gate, but if, for any reason, the gates get backed up enough to cause cross traffic at the ticket booths, we can't just close the ticket booths to make it easier to enter the park.

Know that the ticket booths on each side closest to DCA will also be gone during this construction phase. Those are known as booths 4 and 8.

Quote Originally Posted by pattimelt View Post
    I can appreciate your idea about a new gate, but if, for any reason, the gates get backed up enough to cause cross traffic at the ticket booths, we can't just close the ticket booths to make it easier to enter the park.

Know that the ticket booths on each side closest to DCA will also be gone during this construction phase. Those are known as booths 4 and 8.
    well, i meant close those ticket booths and probably set up another ticket area somewhere else.
    and I was unaware of the closures of those two booths.

but I still don't see how allowing for this is not possible? I understand it is a bit of a unorganized-looking idea but I think it can be organized if done correctly.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    well, i meant close those ticket booths and probably set up another ticket area somewhere else.
    and I was unaware of the closures of those two booths.

but I still don't see how allowing for this is not possible? I understand it is a bit of a unorganized-looking idea but I think it can be organized if done correctly.

Then I misunderstood. I thought you meant closing the booths when they were open already to assist guests. I work out there, and all I know is that those last two booths (4 & 8) will be removed. Don't know if they are going to add capability anywhere else, but booths maybe in downtown Disney or if they can finally get the portable tablet ticket printers to work might have to be options.

I haven't heard what we're going to do when the construction starts. I know it's going to seriously affect what we can do in the booths, as each transaction is taking longer due to the different options we have to offer to the guests, and therefore the lines are taking longer and are getting longer. With the WWYC promotion for birthdays(which have to be upgraded if the guest is a SoCal resident to 2fers) and the monthly payment annual pass options, everything is very time consuming for those of us cast members in the booths.

I do apologize to any of you here that have had to wait in the lines since this all started with the payments and the birthday stuff-- I know it stinks, but know that most of us are working as fast as we can to assist you in the least amount of time without rushing our guests while they are at our windows.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

PM, nice to hear updates from you regarding ticket booths 4 and 8.

Have you heard of any time schedule, on closing/relocating those booths?

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I think the corridor works where Disney has it already planned for. However, that being said, the gates could not be in the corridor and would have to be outside the corridor in the splanade. I think the spot next to Taste Pilots is more crowded than the current one.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Where would the exits be? This seems to be a major issue with any plan on that side - the walkways are so narrow, that to have both guests entering and exiting, it can get really congested.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

^ I agree. Unless one side was used for entering and one side for exiting?

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I think the corridor works where Disney has it already planned for. However, that being said, the gates could not be in the corridor and would have to be outside the corridor in the splanade. I think the spot next to Taste Pilots is more crowded than the current one.
    [QUOTE=Mojave]Where would the exits be? This seems to be a major issue with any plan on that side - the walkways are so narrow, that to have both guests entering and exiting, it can get really congested./QUOTE]

well, to clarify the area next to taste pilots would be cleared out for more room.
    and possibly after opening they could have one corridor for those entering and the other one for those exiting.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    PM, nice to hear updates from you regarding ticket booths 4 and 8.

Have you heard of any time schedule, on closing/relocating those booths?
    Nope. Not yet. I'm more amazed that I have heard as much as I have. Very little effects us out in the booths, so I don't think we have to be told as much, as say those ticket takers that are working over there. I can check with some of the takers I know and see if they know anything, though.