Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: Bad skipper on the Jungle Cruise

Yup. Completely true. The skippers do make the ride. However, with the new
    effects, it might be nice if the skipper plays it straight. I've heard that some do that.
    Let's hope we get one.... only two more weeks till DL!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Yup. Completely true. The skippers do make the ride. However, with the new
    effects, it might be nice if the skipper plays it straight. I've heard that some do that.
    Let's hope we get one.... only two more weeks till DL!
    Perhaps since the effect is new, Maybe Disneyland is trying to think of some new jokes for it.

• Comin' down the track

My wife and I rode it five times when we were there last month and all five skippers mentioned the pirahnas. We had five different skippers and they were all good. It was a lot of fun riding it at night. The fireworks were going on and the skipper had several funny lines about them. The new additions are really good.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneymeimei
    I love the Jungle Cruise. Usually we get a great skipper I try to always laugh at the skipper. There are times I may be the only person laughing at the jokes in the beginning, but by the time we are by the bathing elephants the rest of the boat gets the idea that this is a "funny" ride.

Rarely will we get a dud. Like another poster mentioned, the boy skippers are better. I don't know if it is because they are louder and you can hear them or the lines just come off better from a guy than a girl.

I always compliment the skipper when we get off the boat (well, unless he was a dud, then I just get off the boat.)
    I would have agreed before July. But in July, we had Tiffany for a skipper. She was the funniest skipper we had ever had. When we first saw we would have her, my first thought was "Oh, shoot, a girl skipper...." But, it was the best one ever. The next time, I was disappointed because Tiffany was the next boat and we didn't get her again.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Okay, who is Maynard? Inform those of us who are clueless please.

• UH..LIKE DUH..

If I was a jungle skipper I'd "Go Postal" one trip and try and shoot all the animals. I'd shoot em and yell "ding" like i was in a shooting gallery..("BLAMBLAMBLAM! ding. BLAM!!
    ding, etc.) I'd rip off my vest and reveal a PETA T Shirt, then splash fake blood on all the furry animals. how dare they wear fur!! I'd make the ride less predictible and give the guests something more meaty to discuss.

• Who's your DaddyB?

The best experience I ever had at the piranhas was the skipper who was playing it as slowly putting two and two together...

"Goldfish with teeth, animals bones laying around, bubbles in the water coming at us.... that can only mean one thing..."

and just as he screamed "PIRANHAS!!!!" the fish started jumping out of the water and he gunned the engine so people were slightly jolted by the panic in his voice, the engine setting them back in their seats, and the water splashing all around us. He timed it perfectly, and it was hilarious!
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by HUH?
    Okay, who is Maynard? Inform those of us who are clueless please.
    Do a quick forum search for Maynard and you can find him mentioned in a number of places. He is a legendary cast member. His performances as a Jungle Cruise skipper and Haunted Mansion CM had people in stitches for years.

I can't wait to see the upgraded ride! I hope we have a good skipper the first time around, it's hard to talk the rest of the group into going on it again if the first skipper is a dud.

w00t! I can't wait!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Banned User

I only got on it once.. during the VMK tour.. but we had most of thre jokes and tellings...

The guide was "going" to ask what new effect was comming up next.. everyone raised their hand... lol... she had to change the question...

I would have loved to do it again... FLA needs upgrades...

• Disneyland Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I wish I were a jungle cruise skipper. If I was, I would let somebody in the boat shoot the hippo just to get the people more involved in the ride. That would be cool.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you can't do that. We need to consider something called safety which takes priority over guest interaction.

• Welcome To My Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I can think of two awesome skipper's I've had that make all the others pale in comparison.

One was a girl, who used this very sweet, sing-song kind of voice to say the most horrifying things: "Those tigers will rip your arms off if you get too close boys and girls." In a voice like a slightly crazy kindergarten teacher. Now that I think of it, her voice, attitude, etc. reminds me a lot of the way Johnny Depp played Willie Wonka. Sweet, but actually insane. She made the ride awesome!
    We got her once too. You're right. She was great.

•   
    • Disney Dream 10/23!!

I went two weeks ago, and we had a horrible skipper. He had this monotone, and anticipated every joke. He even said, "now folks, this isn't something you see everyday...it's the backside of the, a water, waterfall." Our whole boat just groaned.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Mortal
    We got her once too. You're right. She was great.

I can't remember her name, but we had her as well. BEST SKIPPER EVER. Except Walt of course....
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• On Autopilot

My friends say I'd be a good skipper...

Besides the Pirahnas what else have they put into the ride?

• World Famous Skipper

Disneyland.... seriously, I met my roommates once I think..

Yay Jungle Cruise threads! And I'm glad the skipper was a guy because if they had been like yeah, we had this blonde chick and she was terrrrrrrible I would've cried. With the piranhas, as soon as the attack starts, we HAVE to full throttle. The boats all go different speeds, so if it was in the Congo or the Suwannee and your skipper had stopped a little bit in front of the spot he was supposed to stop, then he could easily bypass the whole scene (unintentionally) just because the boat goes quickly. But the way the triggers work in the piranha scene, you have to full throttle. Otherwise people in the back of the boat will see them reverse direction in front of the python, and that's even worse show. But it sounds like he wasn't performing very well anyway. On busy days though, there's usually backup at unload depending on how experienced the loaders are.

And on Maynard, I never rode his boat, and I know that people worship him, but the reason we have so many regulations now, and (in theory) a lot of our jokes are toned down are because of him. The older skippers despise him because he got us into sooo much trouble for all of the stuff he would pull, and a lot of the funniest jokes got taken out of the og because of trouble he got us into...

And with the guns, yeah, definitely no letting people hold a real gun, and we use them for distress calls, so if you start firing in different parts of the jungle, your boat better not be working or someone just had a heartattack, otherwise you're in a looooooooooot of trouble.

and girl skips are funny!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast