Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Sector Two Droid Repair

Bad skipper on the Jungle Cruise

My wife hasn't been on the Jungle Cruise since they added the piranha attack. I wanted her to be surprised by it.

As we entered the area, the skipper kept talking about the 'back side of water' ignoring the pictures of the fish on the rocks. Then just as the bubbles started to come toward the boat, he gunned the boat and completely ignored the piranha attack. The effect was totally lost. My wife was like "What the heck was that?"

The skipper didn't stop until he got to trader Sam were he sat there and let people get squirted by the elephant. Finally we had to wait to be unloaded because there was a boat in front of us.

I thought it was really bad show to completely fly thru that area without any mention about what was going on. Then we had to wait to be let out. If he did the attack at the proper speed, we wouldn't have to wait to get off.
    This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
    Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Re: Bad skipper on the Jungle Cruise

Bummer, that does kinda ruin the experience. We have done it 3 times, I think, since the refurb, and they have all been a little different, but everyone has at least mentioned the ill tempered fish as we went by.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

Once I sailed through the effect... it really hurts the show, I agree.

• Rock Star Minion

From what I've experienced, The Jungle Cruise is not a predictable experience. That's why I like it. If that happens again, just get back in line. Odds favor your not geting the same skipper, nor the same experience.
    Recently, I had a skipper speak gibberish and pantomime with gibberish noises through the whole ride, but with the pauses for effect, you can tell exactly what he was supposed to be saying. My eight-year-old cracked up all the way, so to me it was a success. Not what I want every trip, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sector Two Droid Repair

He probably raced thru it because it was the last boat of the night. I guess he had a hot date or something.
    This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
    Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

• Jacob <3 Cotton Candy

I always end up requesting to go on a boat with a guy skipper...maybe because they just look hot in those uniforms....I usually like going on JC around dusk because it seems all the jokes change during the nighttime...

On a better note...you should try going on at night...this is when the JC skippers have to get really creative to keep your attention because most of the time you can't distinctly see all of the animal animatronics...
    Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Disneyland Historian

Skippers are not supposed to say much about the new show scenes. The effects are modern enough that they should speak for themselves. The jokes are only used to compensate for the cheesy quality of some of the older scenes.

• Hooterville, USA

The skipper is about 80% of the ride. Sometimes they feed off of the people's reaction and that can make a so-so ride way better!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Former CM

Last time I went on JC the skipper said very little about the fish, but at least he didn't fly through the area. I really like the one where a skipper called them goldfish with teeth at first and asked the boat what they are called.

• Minion

I love the Jungle Cruise. Usually we get a great skipper I try to always laugh at the skipper. There are times I may be the only person laughing at the jokes in the beginning, but by the time we are by the bathing elephants the rest of the boat gets the idea that this is a "funny" ride.

Rarely will we get a dud. Like another poster mentioned, the boy skippers are better. I don't know if it is because they are louder and you can hear them or the lines just come off better from a guy than a girl.

I always compliment the skipper when we get off the boat (well, unless he was a dud, then I just get off the boat.)
    Boo!

• DisneylandDan

80 percent of the time we get a good skipper. Ive only once had a really boring skipper they bassically pointed and didnt tell any jokes. Other than that yah the guy skippers seem to be the most outgoing. On labor day a woman had an australia shirt and the skipper asked where she was from. She said australia and he said ohh im sorry jokingly. The lady was furious. The rest of the boat was laughing uncontrolably. lol

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I can think of two awesome skipper's I've had that make all the others pale in comparison.

One was a girl, who used this very sweet, sing-song kind of voice to say the most horrifying things: "Those tigers will rip your arms off if you get too close boys and girls." In a voice like a slightly crazy kindergarten teacher. Now that I think of it, her voice, attitude, etc. reminds me a lot of the way Johnny Depp played Willie Wonka. Sweet, but actually insane. She made the ride awesome!

The other fantastic JC Skipper? Why Maynard of course!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I wish I were a jungle cruise skipper. If I was, I would let somebody in the boat shoot the hippo just to get the people more involved in the ride. That would be cool.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I can think of two awesome skipper's I've had that make all the others pale in comparison.

One was a girl, who used this very sweet, sing-song kind of voice to say the most horrifying things: "Those tigers will rip your arms off if you get too close boys and girls." In a voice like a slightly crazy kindergarten teacher. Now that I think of it, her voice, attitude, etc. reminds me a lot of the way Johnny Depp played Willie Wonka. Sweet, but actually insane. She made the ride awesome!

The other fantastic JC Skipper? Why Maynard of course!!!!
    Maynard... now THERE'S a skipper! That guy deserves his own wacky ride

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Again! Again! Again!

I've been on JC when they've skipped through the pirahnnas. It's uncool. They go through the whole trouble of redoing that whole area and then they don't use the jokes. However, I'd rather them skip it than have a horrible skipper. I've had some bad ones before. It makes me want to cry for them. And then go on it again and pray I don't get the same one.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast