Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Disneyland Specific Parade

Now, this may sound obvious...but the park never seems to get it. Why can't we have a Disneyland specific parade? I know, it's more cost effective if they can clone elements or use them for other parks after the run ends here...but Disneyworld gets park specific parades, like the MGM motor cars one, and the Animal Kingdom Jungle parade.

I do understand...as a corporation the mindset is, jam it full of characters, the general public wants that. But...why not use them in a way that respects and represents the park Disneyland is....not the animated features?

Parade of Dreams had a single float that was specific to our park, and it was always my favorite...the leading train float, with the Mickey floral element and train station facade. But picture if they had a Matterhorn float, with a animatronic Harold element, and Goofy dressed as a mountain climber on a ledge on it. Or a proper Pirates of the Caribbean float, with ride characters, styled like the cave rocks with water elements, the vignette of the impaled skeleton with seagull, a Auctioneer performer, along with the redhead, and some various pirates, and because Disney loves their synergy, a Jack Sparrow and Barbossa walking along with the float?

Simply put...I'd love to see them celebrate the park, and do something original...they can still use the characters, but have them be in service to Park original concepts. Woody, Jessie, and even a blast to the past with Davey Crockett could accompany a Frontierland float with a scale version of Big Thunder, and bring back some of the country bears costumes, even though they belong to Critter Country, or did. Disney Villians, such as Hades, Malificent, and Captain Hook could walk alongside a HM unit with performers for characters such as the duelists, the Hitchhiking Ghosts, the opera singers and executioner...style the float like a graveyard, with the distinct stylized spooky trees and tombstones from the ride. Want to add Buzz Lightyear into the mix, or have Chip and Dale? Slap astronaut suits on the chipmuks and put them with a Tommorowland float, featuring Space Mountain exterior stylized platforms, and bring back the Space Man and Woman from the fifties, even add some animatronics from Captain EO (the aliens), celebrate the park for once.

Your thoughts? This isn't obviously a float by float breakdown..but they could do a lot with honoring the park itself in parade form, not just a greatest hits of animated features, and still have the characters marketing and the higher-ups would demand to approve a parade.

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Specific Parade

Tokyo did this in their previous parade, and I loved how they celebrated the park in the floats. Thumbs up!

• Banned User

To be honest, I don't really like the idea. Having a parade about things already in the park, that is like making a candle scent based off of another candle scent. It sounds nice but a bit repetive. I love how the Boo to You parade in the Magic Kingdom has floats about Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride) and Haunted Mansion, but a whole parade about it seems awkward.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    Tokyo did this in their previous parade, and I loved how they celebrated the park in the floats. Thumbs up!
    What was this parade called???

• revolutionary waltz

So what you're proposing is Remember Dreams Come True in parade form, right? 'cause if you are, I'm behind that 100%. :]

• aka the scorpion eater!

I like the idea... seriously its no different than Remeber Dreams Come true... which is a fireworks show highlighting most of the audio from different attractions as a tribute to the park... I loved Parade of dreams but this is better... and would compliment Remember Dreams Come True
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    To be honest, I don't really like the idea. Having a parade about things already in the park, that is like making a candle scent based off of another candle scent. It sounds nice but a bit repetive. I love how the Boo to You parade in the Magic Kingdom has floats about Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride) and Haunted Mansion, but a whole parade about it seems awkward.
    Fair enough, but would any floats specific to the park be too much to ask? Appearantly, given the parades we've seen..I am just sick of the huge character extravaganzas when they have so much more to draw from, give it some variety..if not a whole park themed parade, at least they could have park specific characters or floats involved and not the greatest cartoon hits format like they always do. Mix it up a little.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    What was this parade called???
    Disney Dreams On Parade featured floats that were based on Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Critter Country.

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Parade of Dreams had a single float that was specific to our park, and it was always my favorite...the leading train float, with the Mickey floral element and train station facade.
    Wasn't the Finale Castle float also Disneyland specific? It looked like our Sleeping Beauty Castle. There is also the blurring of the line with rides in Disneyland that are based off of movies. Parade of Dreams had the Tweedles in large teacups. Do we consider those based off the movie, or based off the ride? People might associate Pirates of the Caribbean more with the movie if you add Jack Sparrow.

I'm all for parades celebrating the park, although I don't think the parades in Florida are very good examples. Disneyland may have more movie-based parades, but at least they are executed a lot better.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
    Wasn't the Finale Castle float also Disneyland specific? It looked like our Sleeping Beauty Castle. There is also the blurring of the line with rides in Disneyland that are based off of movies. Parade of Dreams had the Tweedles in large teacups. Do we consider those based off the movie, or based off the ride? People might associate Pirates of the Caribbean more with the movie if you add Jack Sparrow.

I'm all for parades celebrating the park, although I don't think the parades in Florida are very good examples. Disneyland may have more movie-based parades, but at least they are executed a lot better.
    There are certainly characters that crossed over, and small elements..I overlooked the teacups, you are right. But it was far more based on movies than things that were Disneyland specific. I only suggested Jack as at this point, it would be highly impossible to think the people in charge wouldn't just add him anyway, sadly. May as well get the ride pirates if he absolutely has to be there too.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

A parade based on Disneyland attractions would be pretty awesome to see. The music would be pretty interesting to arrange and listen to, I'm assuming, if it were to happen.

• Shubisha

A park specific parade is nothing new. Tokyo's last parade did do that, however that in turn was a reimagineering of an old format used in Disneyland's 25th anniversary parade. Disneyland has been around for a long time and a lot of fun ideas for parades have actually been done in the past. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't be done in some form again but in terms of someone familiar with what's been done trying to come up with something new they're going to keep in mind all the tons of ideas that have come through that park before.

As it is now though, the "Magic Kingdom" style parks are limited to the trend shoving a ton of characters into them and this has been repeated in DL/WDW/and Paris. In the 90s the trend was synergy with the movie-based parades(and tv based in the case of disney afternoon), in the 80s it was little wacky themes like State Farm, World According to Goofy, and Totally Minnie. Who knows if another trend will come next or what it will be, or if they'll just continue to make parades as they need them without real regard to a trend.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    A park specific parade is nothing new. Tokyo's last parade did do that, however that in turn was a reimagineering of an old format used in Disneyland's 25th anniversary parade. Disneyland has been around for a long time and a lot of fun ideas for parades have actually been done in the past. .
    Oh, I don't doubt it has been done before...just at Disneyland, looking at all the parades you mention specifically...the movie tie-in craze (Lion King, Mulan) and the State Fair/America on Parade types, a fully park devoted one to my knowledge hasn't been done in at least 20 years and likely more. Parade of Dreams came closest...but that was still primarily a character marathon with a few specific Disneyland icons.

• Shubisha

Mickey's Magic Kingdom Cavalcade in early 2005 was a park-based one but it was small and rather cheesy. While a park based parade would be neat of course there's really no need that a parade be like that I just want a theme for a parade period that's more than just a bunch of characters "dreaming" or "celebrating" together. If it has a good tied in theme I don't care what the subject matter is personally I just want something that has one. :P POD was special to people because it was for the 50th anniversary but those people myself included were very quick to point out it really had nothing to do with the 50th and we had expected something park specific since it was a big anniversary parade. Alice float fit because it ties in well to the ride, the lion king even fit because it was designed in a manor that gave tribute to the old lion king celebration parade one of the park's most popular, and the train station and castle of course could've fit but the attitude of the parade was clearly more based on characters than the park so along with the other floats that didn't fit into anything it clearly wasn't anniversary related.

• Rock Star Minion

That would be like having a California-themed park, in California.
    Their best parades have been movie-specific. And I don't mind the "evil synergy" of The Lion King Parade (do people still follow parades to see the one more time near the entrance?). Maybe Lion King was a great parade theme that Wall-E couldn't pull off.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast