Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Collision speed....FULL!

Talking Big Thunder Rocks

No, I don't mean Big Thunder rocks, like it's awesome, I mean the literal rocks along the back along the pathway. These old relics are from the old 'Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland' ride. Contrary to popular belief, the rocks around the Big Thunder trail are not leftovers from the 'Balancing Rock Canyon' section of the old ride. The rocks--that I'm refering to-- left are actually the two large stationary buttes/mesas and the natural arch.

Here's diagram of the rocks through the years.

Photos: Davelandweb.com; James Keeline; Live Search Maps

Kinda neat that they're still around.......but so what?

Well, to me they aren't just any rocks. For the last 3.5 years I've been slowly recreating the old ride in On30 and one of the latest additions to the layout are these buttes. I studied the heck out of them, trying to get every detail out of them that I can. This isn't the first time they've been redone, so I want to get 'em right this time.

Yeah, so what? You built a model of them, so what?

Well here's the interesting thing:

In the latest Dateline Disneyland , photos showed these same exact rocks, finally getting some attention after years and years of neglect (not just from maintenance, but from guests not looking at them; the scaffolding got them in the update! ).

Their Rocks...

Yeah, so what? They're getting some paint, so what?

Now here's where it REALLY gets interesting. The same rocks that I sculpted, where painted less than a week ago (With a version of 'Balancing Rock Canyon' in the foreground) before scaffolding for the real thing even went up.

...My Rocks

So what does this mean?

Could this mean that whatever I make can change the real park, like a voodoo doll? I wonder what would happen if I repainted my little mining town of Rainbow Ridge? (Now don't try to convince me to make the whole IASW ride in minature without characters, hoping that they'll just disappear from the real ride!)

Is this voodoo, or coincidence...........?

No, it dosen't mean anything, just a coincidence; simply pure coincidence. Just something stupid and silly I discovered, he he...

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Big Thunder Rocks

First--great sculpt on the rocks. I'm also modelling the red rocks of BTMRR for a layout (though not the Mine Train). Terrific.

Secondly, (just in case this phenomenon in your post isn't coincidence) a request: please make your next project Fantasmic!. Once completed, burn it.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Secondly, (just in case this phenomenon in your post isn't coincidence) a request: please make your next project Fantasmic!. Once completed, burn it.
    If that were the case, in the state that Disneyland is in, I imagine there would be a ton of requests for a lot of little bits and changes; then there'll be a large model "burn-fest".

I better get crackin' on a lot of Small World characters...

• UT99 Forever

* sigh * to have so much free time on ones hands. I can only wish for such luck.

• I'm not really here

Wow, the possibilities are endless here... maybe someone should sculpt a really world class Tomorrowland... and what else needs maintenance at the moment?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Wow, the possibilities are endless here... maybe someone should sculpt a really world class Tomorrowland
    And burn it! Oh, wait. Sorry -- with the last few posts, I thought we were burning all of our models now. ;-)

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckFan View Post
    * sigh * to have so much free time on ones hands. I can only wish for such luck.
    Well, there is probably a lot of other baggage that goes along with it. I mean, CSI had a continuing story about a character that did miniatures.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

excellent work Nautilus.. please keep us updated on its progress!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Nice buttes!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Rock Star Minion

Hey, that's offensive!!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Awesome sculpting work Nautilus, and love the old photos tracing the rocks in question...well done.

I shall have to go visit the rocks in question next trip. I have been taking them for granite all these years.

If a few pictures on MiceAge of peeling paint on the Mark Twain is the real reason the boat received a paint job, then yes. Your model work is the sole reason those rocks are getting rehabbed.

</sarcasm>
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

I think the biggest problem with this thread is Nautilus does not think big Thunder rocks! It happens to be a well themed attraction that has stood the test of time and is a great ride

/sarcasm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Are you scuplting in polyfoam? I had been making castings, but I can't produce the wild formations using such a medium. The castings turned out like this (hard to see--they are really just background in these shots):

If you are willing, give me some inside info on your scuplt process (i.e. hotwire, exacto blade, etc.). Also, do you build layers, or sculpt whole?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Very nice job. I'm going with coincidence but it can't hurt to make changes you'd like to see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast