Very nice experience with the Birthday promotion

Yesterday was my twins' birthday, and the plan was to visit Disneyland and use their $59 credit toward the purchase of an annual pass for each child.

As all plans go awry, my son got a very bad cold the day before the trip, and was simply too sick to go. As he is the most understanding 6 year old in history, he said that even though he was sick, his sister should be able to go.

So the new plan was for me to take my daughter while my wife stayed at home seeing to my son.

My wife suggested taking both kids' birth certificates, in hopes that Disney would somehow honor my son's birthday even though he wasn't present.

So I get to the ticket booth and find out that due to some legal issues, I was required to get my daughter's free ticket from one CM, but had to go to another CM to upgrade it to a season pass. The CM mentioned something about not being able to mix the promotion with a sale. Very strange.

This was actually a very good thing, as the second CM I dealt with was much more understanding of my son's sickness. I should mention that I bent the truth slightly. I said that my wife and son were "at the hotel", and would come to the park in the next couple of days if he felt better. The first part was not true, but the latter half was. I mentioned that I would have loved to get his season pass at the same time and that I had his birth certificate. She went away for a minute and said that she would be more than happy to give my absent son the same discount that my daughter got. I was able to walk away from the booth with 2 AP for them and one for me, having saved $118.

I was really very pleased with how Disney handled this. I wasn't going to raise heck if they said no; in fact, I was convinced the effort would be futile. They had no obligation to honor the discount for my son, because he wasn't present. I was going to get APs even if I had to pay full price for his.

I think one saving grace was that the whole family had APs from a few years earlier, so our pictures were all on file. I don't know if I would have been able to walk away with a voucher had we been first time AP holders. I honestly didn't think our photos would still be on file.

Needless to say, my son was delighted when I returned home and showed him his brand new AP card.

A big THANK YOU to Disney for going above and beyond.

Re: Very nice experience with the Birthday promotion

As the kids say, That's how they roll.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I am TOTALLY impressed with your 6 year old's generous attitude!

• Banned User

Very classy move by Disney, and by your son.

• DLR Cast Member

The reason you had to go to another cast member is due to California state law. It says that if we get your "marketing information" (aka your name and address) we can't accept a credit card for a purchase to protect you from CC fraud. It's not a Disney policy.

I'm glad your cast member went and spoke to a lead and took care of you. I know I wouldn't even have asked my lead, I just would have done it (but then again, it's just me, and I LOVE to make magic!).

• Hello

Cool Re: Very nice experience with the Birthday promotion

That is good to here. Yeah, I can't wait until my birthday!

Just wanted to add one funny thing from my ticket experience. The CM asked me if I wanted to "pay now" (sounding very excited) or "pay on the plan" (struggling to get it out). When I said I'd pay it now, a big grin washed over her face. I asked if the payment plan was a big pain for them and she just gave me a little smile but didn't answer the question (she didn't need to).

Thumbs up Re: Very nice experience with the Birthday promotion

Nice to hear that Disneyland took care of you and you son! Not to surprised by the CMs "response" to your comment on the AP payment plan. Between the roll out of that program and the Birthday Celebration promotion, I'm sure that those CMs have been a bit overwhelmed with it all!

• I don't feel tardy.

I'm more impressed with your wife's willingness to stay home with a sick kid while you got to go to Disneyland than with your son being nice to his sister! Go, Mom!
    Come visit my town! http://www.teritown.myminicity.com

Click to give an animal free food and care: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by pattimelt View Post
    The reason you had to go to another cast member is due to California state law.

It says that if we get your "marketing information" (aka your name and address) we can't accept a credit card for a purchase to protect you from CC fraud.

It's not a Disney policy.

I've never heard of that before. CA State law? Which law is that? Is it a theme park exclusive law?

What about when I place an order online or over the phone? I give them my name, address, phone and cc info. They don't seem to have a problem with it. Disney Delivears included.

What about when you check into the DL Hotel? You give them that information then too.

Anyways, I'm glad the OP experienced some of the magic for their birthdays!

Happy Birthday's!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFuchs View Post
    Just wanted to add one funny thing from my ticket experience. The CM asked me if I wanted to "pay now" (sounding very excited) or "pay on the plan" (struggling to get it out). When I said I'd pay it now, a big grin washed over her face. I asked if the payment plan was a big pain for them and she just gave me a little smile but didn't answer the question (she didn't need to).

Too funny!

Probably not a pain, just more work...

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    I've never heard of that before. CA State law? Which law is that? Is it a theme park exclusive law?

I don't know what law. That's what they told us at the park. They actually gave us a list of things we can say when that situation comes up.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I would be the Stewie of 6 year olds!

If I can't go, she can't go!