• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Some questions about Coffee

As my trip out there approaches quickly--my better half and myself were wondering a few things about our other co-passion.

Coffee.

We don't live near Disneyland. Which hotel/location has a Starbuck's? Now grant you, I'm fully aware you can't toss a dead cat without hitting one, but which one would be the closest?

My second question is--does anyone have a special, indie coffeehouse near Disneyland that they'd recommend?

And lastly, what about in the parks? Anything good coffeewise?

Just curious.

And thanks ahead for the input.

Peace to all.

And to all, a good coffee buzz.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

Re: Some questions about Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    As my trip out there approaches quickly--my better half and myself were wondering a few things about our other co-passion.

Coffee.

We don't live near Disneyland. Which hotel/location has a Starbuck's? Now grant you, I'm fully aware you can't toss a dead cat without hitting one, but which one would be the closest?

My second question is--does anyone have a special, indie coffeehouse near Disneyland that they'd recommend?

And lastly, what about in the parks? Anything good coffeewise?

Just curious.

And thanks ahead for the input.

Peace to all.

And to all, a good coffee buzz.
    The Hilton has a Starbucks in it. Marriot has a coffee bar that my daughter says is good. My daughter says the coffee in the park is just that, coffee. Nothing great.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• CM for 4 years!

For an indie coffee bar, if you have some kind of transportation, I recommend heading to the Gypsy Den in Santa Ana:

http://www.gypsyden.com/

On Friday and Saturday nights, they have live music with no cover charge. Have one of their vanilla chai teas-- they're to DIE for. They also have a resonably priced menu of vegetarian friendly foods. They're open until 11 pm on the weekends. Only downside is that it's about a block away from a pretty rough side of town.

Love Love Love them. You've gotta try em. And have a Vanilla Chai for me! :9

As for Starbucks, their website lists local locations at:

Anaheim Mariott
    Anaheim Hilton Hotel Lobby
    Hyatt Regency
    Stadium Crossings (This is by Angel Stadium, I assume)
    And The Block at Orange
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• UH..LIKE DUH..

La Brea Bakery is better than starbucks at Downtown disney.

• Parmageddon Jim

I'm a big coffee drinker, most of the coffee in the parks is powdered Nescafe, with a few exceptions. Compass Books in Downtown Disney makes good coffee and coffee drinks. On Main Street, Blue Ribbon Bakery is the only place you can get decent coffee inside Disneyland. I recommend an Americano or a latte. You can also get fresh roasted (right in front of you) coffee at the Bakersfield Bakery in DCA. Enjoy!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

My favorite coffe tip inside Disneyland is the Market House (on Main Street) for regular drip coffee (I don't think DLR uses "powdered" coffee anywhere). They have regular, decaf, and 2 flavored coffees: Vanilla and Hazelnut. Here's the tip and it's a "best kept secret"--save your receipt! One purchase is good for free refills for the rest of the day until park closing! You don't need to save the cup (they'll give you a new one anyway), just show the receipt. AFAIK, it's the only location inside the park that offeres this.

One other thing, if you want real cream/milk in the coffee, walk across Main Street to the Blue Ribbon Bakery. The Market House only has "Coffeemate" in little plastic packs; the BRB has carafes with Half and Half, whole milk, and nonfat milk.
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 09-17-2005 at 11:06 AM.
    --Jonathan

there is a little coffee shop inside the DL hotel. what kind of coffee are you looking for? Espresso drinks, drip coffee, or some sort of blended beverage?

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI

One other thing, if you want real cream/milk in the coffee, walk across Main Street to the Blue Ribbon Bakery. The Market House only has "Coffeemate" in little plastic packs; the BRB has carafes with Half and Half, whole milk, and nonfat milk.
    Good tip on the creamer, I've done that many times. The coffee at the Market House is pretty lousy, though. It's a "do I want to stand in the line at the Blue Ribbon?" kind of decision.

Next time you're in the Park, check the coffee at Plaza Pavilion. The machine is the same as the one (recently replaced) at the Whitewater which I have seen opened up. Definitely powdered. It's ok coffee, but I prefer a richer brew. The same coffee machine is in use at Zocalo, and, I believe, Redd Rockets. The Riverbelle Terrace, surprisingly, has excellent brewed coffee, which is refillable just inside the door on the Adventureland side. Unfortunately, non-dairy creamer again. It may be that most of the serve-yourself places have the machine that uses powder, while most of the places that serve you have ground. Also, don't confuse the cappucino from the Mint Julep Bar or the ODV cart at the Hub with actual cappucino. The Blue Ribbon Bakery in Disneyland or Bakersfield Bakery in DCA are the only places inside the Parks you can get real ones.

There is that little place at the DL hotel, but, if you're not staying there, it's a schlep. In Downtown Disney, aside from Compass Books, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Express Window has great cafe au lait, and Haagen Dazs serves Deidrich's coffee and espresso drinks. Also, as previously mentioned, La Brea Bakery.

Now I need a cup of coffee!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    Good tip on the creamer, I've done that many times. The coffee at the Market House is pretty lousy, though. It's a "do I want to stand in the line at the Blue Ribbon?" kind of decision.

Next time you're in the Park, check the coffee at Plaza Pavilion. The machine is the same as the one (recently replaced) at the Whitewater which I have seen opened up. Definitely powdered. It's ok coffee, but I prefer a richer brew. The same coffee machine is in use at Zocalo, and, I believe, Redd Rockets. The Riverbelle Terrace, surprisingly, has excellent brewed coffee, which is refillable just inside the door on the Adventureland side. Unfortunately, non-dairy creamer again. It may be that most of the serve-yourself places have the machine that uses powder, while most of the places that serve you have ground. Also, don't confuse the cappucino from the Mint Julep Bar or the ODV cart at the Hub with actual cappucino. The Blue Ribbon Bakery in Disneyland or Bakersfield Bakery in DCA are the only places inside the Parks you can get real ones.

There is that little place at the DL hotel, but, if you're not staying there, it's a schlep. In Downtown Disney, aside from Compass Books, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Express Window has great cafe au lait, and Haagen Dazs serves Deidrich's coffee and espresso drinks. Also, as previously mentioned, La Brea Bakery.

Now I need a cup of coffee!
    I agree this coffe is not bad at all, the Nescafe on Mainstreet is really watered down, no taste. La Brea and Bakersfield do have a decent cup of coffee you need it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Senior Minion

It's interesting that so much of the coffee at DLR is so poor when in the days when I used to go to WDW, I used to get some terrific coffee...Juan Valdez, where are you now?

• People move me

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Cabin
    La Brea Bakery is better than starbucks at Downtown disney.
    Ditto
    Me and the fam did 3 days there a bit ago and were there last week. We are Starbuck die hards. La Brea is an exelent replacement and convienient. Their coffee is not as bitter as Starbucks
    Dont be frightend, I'm just a friendly Monster....

• Welcome To My Nightmare

Disneyland coffee is lousy. Two of the few exceptions are the markethouse and the blue ribbon bakery.
    Disneyland iced tea is even lousier.(except for the Carnation cafe and the Blue Ribbon bakery) We always order hot tea and two cups of ice and make our own.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I cannot thank you all enough. By no means stop, too! But I wanted to say thanks--I've been jotting this all down in my Palm pilot for the trip.

If I can't get out, Market House with free refills--I tend to just do black coffee. CHECK.

LaBrea or Bakersfield's CHECK.

Gypsy Den CHECK (tho I can't see what a bad section of Orange County looks like? Is Santa Ana even in OC?)

My partner, after I posted, mentioned just checking the Starbuck's website. Must have been late. What a dolt. But still, the Hilton isn't far. so CHECK.

Compass Books? Alright, I'll make a trip there too--CHECK.

Jazz Kitchen? Not a fan of cafe au lait, so I'll see about that one. But least a taste, I'm sure. CHECK.

You've all been wonderful. Frankly, I wish I did live closer. We could have a 'coffee meet' once a month and post results of the different brands or something here. It's an idea.

Peace, once more.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend