Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

High-Speed Rail between Anaheim and Las Vegas

The economic recovery bill that passed both houses of Congress last week includes funding for a high-speed rail line of some sort between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

The service would potentially connect with the high-speed rail line voters in California approved last year for a North-South corridor between San Diego and San Francisco.

While I would be happy with conventional trains to link Las Vegas with southern California, a high-speed system, if designed well, could be significantly better.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the service?

• Co-Host of USWP

Re: High-Speed Rail between Anaheim and Las Vegas

This is something that has been kicked around for years now; I'm surprised it finally got funding. Though interesting, I've been trying to think of the long term financial gains it might create and for the life of me I can't think of how it will pay off sufficiently to make it worthwhile.

Metrolink's easternmost terminus is about an hour and a half away from Anaheim in San Bernardino where a large depot and rail hub already exists and where new light-rail trams are being developed to connect the station to Loma Linda and Redlands. So, conceivably, passengers could transfer at this point and board a high-speed train dedicated to travel through Cajon Pass and the high desert, if, of course, Metrolink has the ability to modify its regional operation to better handle baggage.

Another more expensive option is for the Las Vegas line to use a portion of the same alignment planned for the high-speed line connecting Anaheim to San Diego by way of Los Angeles.

The third and most expensive option is for a completely independent system that connects Anaheim to Las Vegas while using new infrastructure and special right-of-ways along the entire route.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Have a specific link? As far as I know.. the bill has no specific tie to any project, but includes funds marked for high speed rail. There are projects in over 10 states all who want dibs on this money. No one has been delegated to get it yet.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Co-Host of USWP

On a different but related note, I've heard that Anaheim has asked Disney to help fund a monorail line from John Wayne to the DLR. I was told that Disney turned them down flat. I'm curious as to why Disney didn't think this was a good idea...?

• Minion

Blog Entries

I really do hope that they get that high speed train between Vegas and Anaheim. I have killing for something along those lines for years. Currently the quickest option is a 5 hour bus ride along the Lux bus and it won't get you there until around 8PM. So not really a valid option for someone who is wanting to make a day trip to the parks.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I'm wondering how much of a boondoggle this will turn out to be. Are they going to use existing tracks and right-of-way? If not, I can't imagine how they are going to fund just buying up the land that would be needed. All I've heard is that the environmental impact reports alone will take five years minimum.

I want more specifics and I don't think anybody has any. Pleeese... correct me if I'm wrong.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I'm wondering how much of a boondoggle this will turn out to be. Are they going to use existing tracks and right-of-way? If not, I can't imagine how they are going to fund just buying up the land that would be needed. All I've heard is that the environmental impact reports alone will take five years minimum.

I want more specifics and I don't think anybody has any. Pleeese... correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think you're right on the money. As much as I would love having this, it seems to me more money would be spent building it than would ever be made back from it.

I don't know if this is true but I was told at one time that the right of way had already been purchased. I can't vouch for the veracity of that in any way.

I do know this - it would make getting to DLR a lot easier for me!

• Minion

Blog Entries

I think that there would be a ton of money made off of this project. Every Friday night the highway between California to Las Vegas is a wall of people. If half of those people bought tickets I am sure they would see a profit.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Come on...a high-speed rail line is the last thing we need.

Spend the money on the 91 Freeway and fix the Orange Crush.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Co-Host of USWP

Smile Re: High-Speed Rail between Anaheim and Las Vegas

I just found a link to an interesting article about this exact subject in Wikipedia. It's call the California-Nevada Interstate Maglev or CNIM - apparently it is serious consideration; money had already been spent on it in the planning stages.

Here's the link to the Maglev entry in Wikipedia - California-Nevada Interstate Maglev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Showus your Larboard side

This is never gonna happen. The money allotted in this bill will be eaten up before they turn one blade of dirt. I would be happy if they would just reinstate passenger service between LV and LA and SD. That ain't gonna happen either.

Mike
    rail-less in Lakeside

• Closed Account

Mike, I agree...it was just another Pork measure in the Stimulus bill that will probably never get the money or take way too long to finish before they have to use the money elsewhere to help out other more important failing sectors. Although in a perfect world, I would like to see a high speed rail line from Sacramento down to Anaheim..lol...that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    While I would be happy with conventional trains to link Las Vegas with southern California, a high-speed system...
    You obviously weren't buying enough tickets on the old Desert Wind that Amtrak finally had to cancel back in May, 1997 for miserably low ridership levels.

Last time I took the Desert Wind was around '96, and I had the lounge car practically to myself. If you can't even sell cocktails on a train to or from Vegas, you know there is a problem. Amtrak also knew there was a problem, and had to cancel the train that no one used.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    Currently the quickest option is a 5 hour bus ride along the Lux bus and it won't get you there until around 8PM.
    Actually, the quickest option is to fly. I personally use, and highly recommend, JetBlue's service out of Long Beach to Las Vegas. It's a nice short flight on a nice airline with a quick beverage service from the stewardesses, and the mood in the cabin is always fun and festive (at least on the way over, when people haven't hit the tables yet). I generally pay about 49 dollars each way on JetBlue.

Central OC to Long Beach Airport parking - 30 Minutes (not at evening rush hour)
    Parking, check in, departure lounge - 60 Minutes
    Boarding, Flying, Deplaning - 60 Minutes (35 minute actual flight time)
    Las Vegas Airport gate to Taxi stand - 15 Minutes
    Taxi to Strip Hotel - 30 Minutes (20 Minutes without traffic)

That gets you at most a Three And A Half Hour total travel time from your home in OC to the lobby of your Vegas hotel. I often do that whole thing in just under Three Hours because I don't schedule my travel at rush hour. If you are smart and don't try to do this on a Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend, the entire experience is actually a lot of fun. You won't find a crowd at Long Beach, and long term inexpensive parking is a five minute stroll from the terminal.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast