• HauntedOne999

Script for New Opera House Show Idea

I presented this idea last year and have recently came up with this script... it is a mix of all the version of "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" and the "Hall of Presidents"... the dialog for the other presidents are from several different speeches spanning thier terms...

tell me what you think.

Theater Show:

(Musical fanfare marks the beginning of the program. The screen shows a group of people silhouetted)

Chorus:

We the people of the United States

In order to form a more perfect union,

Establish justice…

insure domestic tranquility,

Provide for the common defense,

Promote the general welfare,

And secure the blessings of liberty

to ourselves and our posterity,

do ordain and establish this Constitution

for the United States of America.

(The preamble of the Constitution just recited appears on the screen)

Narrator: These immortal words, when first they were written, proclaimed to the world an idea new among men. This was the American dream. The prayer for the future. But that golden goal was not to be had without cost. The American way was not gained in a day. It was born in adversity, forged out of conflict, perfected and proven only after long experience and trial…

We pay tribute here not to men who lived a century ago, but to individuals who live today in the hearts of all freedom-loving people. Their prophetic words are as valid for our time as they were for theirs. And now the skills of the sculptor and the talents of the artist will let us pay homage to the immortal men whose faces have been carved on Mount Rushmore…

(As the screen rises, the nearly black stage would show 4 faint figures. The presidents would be arranged in a semi-circle, set on a tiered stage backed with pillars and flags (much like the hall of presidents)and have a few props around them creating a vignette. As each president is announced the vignette would light up. After each figure has concluded there speech the figure would turn towards the next figure about to speak.)

Narrator: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln…

…From these men the free world may take new inspiration and hope. And, if it be wise, new wisdom from old words of prophecy.

(George Washington would be on stage right standing slightly facing stage left on the lower level. This vignette would be modeled after the portrait of George Washington by Gilbert Stuart.)

"The unity of government...is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence...of your tranquility at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very liberty which you so highly prize."

“I dwell on this prospect with every satisfaction which an ardent love for my Country can inspire: since there is no truth more thoroughly established, than that there exists in the oeconomy and course of nature, an indissoluble union between virtue and happiness, between duty and advantage, between the genuine maxims of an honest and magnanimous policy, and the solid rewards of public prosperity and felicity: Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained: And since the preservation of the sacred fire of liberty, and the destiny of the Republican model of Government, are justly considered as deeply, perhaps as finally staked, on the experiment entrusted to the hands of the American people.”

".......the name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism..."

(Thomas Jefferson’s vignette would be slightly off center toward stage right, seated behind a desk on the upper level. The desk would be small and have an oil lamp on one corner. Jefferson would stand up from the desk and address the audience at first reading from a copy of the declaration of independence in his left hand)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

(looks up from the paper)

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority."

"This country, which has given to the world the example of physical liberty, owes to it that of moral emancipation also. For as yet, it is but nominal with us. The inquisition of public opinion overwhelms in practice the freedom asserted by the laws in theory."

"We are bound, you, I, and every one to make common cause, even with error itself, to maintain the common right of freedom..."

"We ought with one heart and one hand to hew down the daring and dangerous efforts of those who would seduce the public opinion to substitute itself into that tyranny over religious faith which the laws have so justly abdicated. For this reason, were my opinions up to the standard of those who arrogate the right of questioning them, I would not countenance that arrogance by descending to an explanation."

(Jefferson would remain standing as we move to the next speaker. Theodore Roosevelt would be slightly off center towards stage left, also on the upper level. To his right would be a globe.)

“PATRIOTISM was once defined as "the last refuge of a scoundrel"; and somebody has recently remarked that when Dr. Johnson gave this definition he was ignorant of the infinite possibilities contained in the word "reform." Of course both gibes were quite justifiable, in so far as they were aimed at people who use noble names to cloak base purposes. Equally of course the man shows little wisdom and a low sense of duty who fails to see that love of country is one of the elemental virtues, even though scoundrels play upon it for their own selfish ends; and, inasmuch as abuses continually grow up in civic life as in all other kinds of life, the statesman is indeed a weakling who hesitates to reform these abuses because the word "reform" is often on the lips of men who are silly or dishonest.”

“We Americans can only do our allotted task well if we face it steadily and bravely, seeing but not fearing the dangers. Above all we must stand shoulder to shoulder, not asking as to the ancestry or creed of our comrades, but only demanding that they be in very truth Americans, and that we all work together, heart, hand, and head, for the honor and the greatness of our common country.”

(Abraham Lincoln would be stage left sitting in a chair. To his left would be a small table covered in a red cloth. On top of the table would be a drinking glass and carafe. He would be dressed in his usual black frock coat and be holding papers. Lincoln would rise from his chair to address the audience.)

This government must be preserved in spite of the acts of any man or set of men. Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality. To the humblest and poorest among us are held the highest privileges and positions. What constitutes the bulwark of our liberty and independence? It is not the frowning battlements, or bristling seacoast, our army and navy- These are not our reliance against tyranny. Our reliance is in the love of liberty which God has planted in us. Our defense is in the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands everywhere- Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism at your own doors. At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? Shall we expect some transatlantic giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never. All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined could not, by force, take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge. At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up among us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves, must be its author and its finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all time . . . or die by suicide. Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite to exist only for a day. No . . . No . . . Man was made for immortality.”

Narrator: To be true to the American dream, one must have the wisdom to remember and the courage to change. In honoring these men, protectors of our heritage, servants of our dream, guides to the future we face together, we honor the enduring meaning of America. We. We the People hear in their voices the voice of our own hearts.

(As he finishes the lights on all four vignettes would dim as a projection of Mount Rushmore would appear on the rear stage wall.)

Chorus:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.
    He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.
    He has loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword.
    His truth is marching on.
    Glory, glory, hallelujah.

Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Minion

Re: Script for New Opera House Show Idea

Nice thought out idea! I love it!

• HauntedOne999

thanks, I thought this idea would satisfy the want for Lincoln and the need to beef up the show.

We need some old-fashioned patriotism these days. I applaud your effort. Today it seems like the government of the people has been replaced by government of the rich. Bailouts for the rich; layoffs for the poor.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    I presented this idea last year and have recently came up with this script... it is a mix of all the version of "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" and the "Hall of Presidents"... the dialog for the other presidents are from several different speeches spanning thier terms...

tell me what you think.

Theater Show:

(Musical fanfare marks the beginning of the program. The screen shows a group of people silhouetted)

Chorus:

We the people of the United States

In order to form a more perfect union,

Establish justice…

insure domestic tranquility,

Provide for the common defense,

Promote the general welfare,

And secure the blessings of liberty

to ourselves and our posterity,

do ordain and establish this Constitution

for the United States of America.

(The preamble of the Constitution just recited appears on the screen)

Narrator: These immortal words, when first they were written, proclaimed to the world an idea new among men. This was the American dream. The prayer for the future. But that golden goal was not to be had without cost. The American way was not gained in a day. It was born in adversity, forged out of conflict, perfected and proven only after long experience and trial…

We pay tribute here not to men who lived a century ago, but to individuals who live today in the hearts of all freedom-loving people. Their prophetic words are as valid for our time as they were for theirs. And now the skills of the sculptor and the talents of the artist will let us pay homage to the immortal men whose faces have been carved on Mount Rushmore…

(As the screen rises, the nearly black stage would show 4 faint figures. The presidents would be arranged in a semi-circle, set on a tiered stage backed with pillars and flags (much like the hall of presidents)and have a few props around them creating a vignette.
    ...At which point they all sing a heart-wrenching rendition of, "I'm Proud To Be An American."

I'm just kiddin'.

Good idea!

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    ...At which point they all sing a heart-wrenching rendition of, "I'm Proud To Be An American."

I'm just kiddin'.

Good idea!

personally i cant stand that song... but only because i feel its played out. every school i went to had the choir sing it every assembly.. it got old fast.

• HauntedOne999

Proud to announce that this thread has been featured in the Micechat Round-up 2/25 edition.

Thanks everyone!

• Big Al fan

great idea!
    "There was.....blood on the saddle, and.....blood all around, and a great big, puddle of .....blood on the ground."

-Big Al-

Come visit my blog Disney in Review over at
    http://disneyfanreviews.blogspot.com/