View Poll Results: Disneyland Now or Twenty Years Ago?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland Now?

19 32.76%
  • Disneyland 1989?

31 53.45%
  • Or Other?

8 13.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Disneyland Now or Twenty Years Ago - Poll

This isn't to take over DL_CRAZE's thread, but to add a fun element like someone suggested.

Please view that thread here to post your opinions.

Disneyland Now or Twenty Years Ago

Note to Mods:
    If possible, please overlay this into DL_CRAZE's existing thread including the poll so that those that have already given their input can also place in the poll.

If it isn't possible, please just delete this thread or close it so it can be wiped from existence either way.

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Now or Twenty Years Ago - Poll

I loved the DL of the old days with today's attractions (minus the debacle of IASW). I loved DL when I was little. The flower shop. The candle shop. The unique shops of DL. Everything wasn't the same. It was like a little old town, with the uniqueness of a small town with shops for every purpose. I realize in this world, it would be too old fashioned and a lot of people wouldn't like it, but, I miss that from the 60's as a child.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I loved the DL of the old days with today's attractions (minus the debacle of IASW). I loved DL when I was little. The flower shop. The candle shop. The unique shops of DL. Everything wasn't the same. It was like a little old town, with the uniqueness of a small town with shops for every purpose. I realize in this world, it would be too old fashioned and a lot of people wouldn't like it, but, I miss that from the 60's as a child.
    Since when was it old fashioned to have variety and unique stores? It would absolutely work in today's world and the only reason it isn't being done is because it is easier and cheaper for Disney. With Disney as comercialized as it is today it's yet another reason why the park was better 20 years ago.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 02-17-2009 at 01:11 AM.

• Minion

Thanks for commenting on this thread guy's, but to be fair to DL_CRAZE, please direct comments on to his/her thread. I created this one with the poll we all can take part in, and in HOPES that the mods can merge this one into DL's with the poll included. Cause after all, it was his/her idea. And I don't want to take anything away from that person. Not trying to be a copycat either.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Since when was it old fashioned to have variety and unique stores? It would absolutely work in today's world and the only reason it isn't being done is because it is easier and cheaper for Disney. With Disney as comercialized as it is today it's yet another reason why the park was better 20 years ago.
    Oh, I agree. But, I believe because it IS old fashioned (in the way it was set up 40 years ago, when I started going to DL) that Disney would never buy into it. Even back in the 90s they still had shops in NOS that were unique. Those are long gone with pirate and NBC shops. (There used to be a cool kitchen shop where you could buy things from New Orleans like beignet mix and coffee w/ chicory.) Sigh...I miss those days.

• Circle of Ancients

No question - 1989

I mean, think about it. About the only major addition to the park since then (that's still there) is Indy, Toontown and "maybe" Buzz.

Splash was new. Star Tours was only a few years old. You had the original subs still. Peoplemover. Skyway. Rocket Jets. Swiss Family Treehouse. I'd trade the original Subs, Peoplemover, Skyway and Rocket Jets in their original location for Indy. Seriously, I would.

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

To be honest, I like Disneyland back from the late 90's. I really wish they would bring back the Motorboats in Fantasyland (it was a favorite when I was little). I also wish they would bring back the "Classic" Pirates (get rid of all the PoTC stuff, and bring it back to it's original form). And bring back The Peoplemover too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'd trade the original Subs, Peoplemover, Skyway and Rocket Jets in their original location for Indy. Seriously, I would.
    Not to do a "Me, Too" post, but...

Me, too.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

People may want to mob me when I say this but........

I like the new additions they gave to Pirates with adding Jack Sparrow. Sure it's commercializing a ride which is one of the last ones Walt worked on. But the movie franchise was based on that ride. They make two films based on 2 disney rides, and one of them didn't do so well. The other became a smash largely due to the action that Bruckheimer films bring to the screen and the marvelous acting that Johnny Depp brought to the role of Jack Sparrow. So hence, two movies follow and it becomes a franchise with more most likely on the way. It is only fitting that they add a few of the movie elements to the ride, when several of the ride elements were in the movies.

Letting the mobbing begin!!

• Bucket List Car

The last time I went to DL before moving away from CA was in 1988. I definitely would say 1989! Great times!! Also, all the great DL rides were up and running then. I'm with Sir Clinks; we wouldn't have Indy, but for all that we would have, it would be ok. And I LOVE IJA.

• revolutionary waltz

By this comparison do you mean transferring the park 20 years ago to today or simply going back 20 years ago versus today? If it's the former, I think it'd be disastrous. I know many of us trumpet theme and story over technology as, without a good basis special effects can only carry one so far. However, I also think that technology shouldn't be discounted as it is powerful and can enhance any ride beyond its story or base appeal to something magnificent. If the park of twenty years ago was placed in the here and now, Disneyland would be ridiculously far behind on the technological curve. I get the distinct feeling that many of us are taking our nostalgia for the past a little too much into consideration (myself with my childhood memories of Rocket Rods included, when that comes into discussion, haha).

Even if it's the latter, I would honestly choose the Disneyland of today with its flaws (Tommorowland, Finding Nemo vs Original subs) and strengths (Indiana Jones, Remember Dreams Come True) alike over the past. However, perhaps this is also because I'm too young to remember anything past oh--15 years ago? And even that is in the lightest of detail.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Not now, not 20 years ago but 20 years from now woooo 2029!

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Animation Domination

I prefer Disneyland during the late 80's and early 90's. Not only some great rides were still operating (People Mover, Skyway..etc), but the food tasted way better back then.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Sock Puppet

Hands down, 1989...

• Shag lover

1989, easily.

Tahitian Terrace.
    Coming on a whirlwind trip 12/4 and 12/5 just to see the holiday decorations. Hope the park isn't too full of spoiled mall-goers to enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast