• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Parking at Mickey and Friends

Is it me or have the line to park at Mickey and Friends much longer than usual? I know it is much busier than usual cause of the Timon lot being pretty much closed. But you would think that Disney should have all lanes open for people to pay to park in the Mickey lot.

The last few times I went to Disneyland I was in line to get thru the parking booth for at least 15 plus minutes and then an idea came in mind. With more and more people buying an annual pass some including parking or have the deluxe with parking included. Why doesn’t Disney designate one lane for AP to be able to drive thru one lane? Once they get to the parking booth all they need to is scan their AP pass and the gate will open for you to go thru with little or no wait. But of course there will be someone having to maintain that lane also for people who are in that lane by accident. Or they are block out for that day so their parking is not valid for that day. So that CM will have to work 2 lanes than one.

What do you think?
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• DLR Cast Member

Re: Parking at Mickey and Friends

Quote Originally Posted by WheresMickey View Post
    Is it me or have the line to park at Mickey and Friends much longer than usual? I know it is much busier than usual cause of the Timon lot being pretty much closed. But you would think that Disney should have all lanes open for people to pay to park in the Mickey lot.

The last few times I went to Disneyland I was in line to get thru the parking booth for at least 15 plus minutes and then an idea came in mind. With more and more people buying an annual pass some including parking or have the deluxe with parking included. Why doesn’t Disney designate one lane for AP to be able to drive thru one lane? Once they get to the parking booth all they need to is scan their AP pass and the gate will open for you to go thru with little or no wait. But of course there will be someone having to maintain that lane also for people who are in that lane by accident. Or they are block out for that day so their parking is not valid for that day. So that CM will have to work 2 lanes than one.

What do you think?
    Not a bad idea, but not one that will work. The AP holder MUST be in the car for the pass to be used, and to do it all automatically, wouldn't work because there is no way to make sure the passholder is physically in the vehicle.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by WheresMickey View Post
    But you would think that Disney should have all lanes open for people to pay to park in the Mickey lot.
    I don't understand. Why should only Disney have all the lanes open? Shouldn't other amusement parks that are busy have all their lanes open also? Or is it because Disney is supposed to be perfect that they should all be open?

Maybe Disney didn't know it is going to be busy on certain days or the days you come and therefore there weren't enough CMs to cover the lanes.

• Missing an Angel

Just wait until June or July when we lose all of Timon and Pumbaa.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by pattimelt View Post
    Not a bad idea, but not one that will work. The AP holder MUST be in the car for the pass to be used, and to do it all automatically, wouldn't work because there is no way to make sure the passholder is physically in the vehicle.
    Very true, didn't think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    I don't understand. Why should only Disney have all the lanes open? Shouldn't other amusement parks that are busy have all their lanes open also? Or is it because Disney is supposed to be perfect that they should all be open?

Maybe Disney didn't know it is going to be busy on certain days or the days you come and therefore there weren't enough CMs to cover the lanes.
    Well the last few times I went it was just before 10 am when DCA would just be open and DL open for about 2 hours or so. So it would be busy in the parking lot.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Fireworks Finatic!

The longer waits to get into the structure are probably because they have to scan all the APs who have parking now, when before you just had to show it and they would give you a ticket. With more people getting APs, the more people will have to get it scanned to get in to park now.

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Maybe the lanes are closed so that there is no backup IN the parking structure. I mean, only one car can park at a time. Maybe two in the parallel ones. But you go up that ramp and you're likely going to wait a little bit. Throw more lanes open, and now there is a jam inside the structure somewhere. Now, if multiple levels are simultaneously parking, that's another story. That would make for an interesting logistics problem. (Mainly, more parking CMs would be needed all at once in the morning.)

Maybe the lanes are closed so there is not a huge mass of guests waiting for the trams. If everyone were to park at once, the waiting area might get jammed.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

^That's true, there are several other choke points that could cause traffic to back up.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Okay, so why did they build them then.

Here's my idea, why not have 1 or 2 lanes resewrved for AP's, but have them manned? Just like it is now, but require AP's only?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Okay, so why did they build them then.

Here's my idea, why not have 1 or 2 lanes resewrved for AP's, but have them manned? Just like it is now, but require AP's only?
    Emergency exits? Required by law? Just ideas, though. Don't take them as fact.

Why? Well, Eisner had his hand in a lot of the wants and needs for this project. He is why there is an exit ramp for each level. Good idea, actually, since there are fewer turns than in a normal ramped structure. No restrooms at first, either. And too few elevators, not understanding that escalators and strollers are a bad combination. (Escalators could have had bigger steps, or a stroller holder like the Targets have for their carts.)

So, how many levels could be parked at one time? Figure each entrance lane could be sent to a specific area of the structure. How fast could it be filled up, I wonder?

And, last I checked, AP'ers get entrance to the park at a potentially extreme discount, so no, they should not get their own lane. Come to think of it, it might get more clogged than the regular lanes. So, I'm in favor of it!
    The one thing that bugs me is people who insist on having a more than 10-second conversation with the parking CM. Is this part of the magic you feel obligated to experience, while wasting time (and gas) of everyone behind you? Have your 12 bucks (?) or your AP ready, and get the heck out of the way!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Here are a couple of ideas that I came up with that might help the situation.

One would be to have the money collected as you exit the parking structure or parking lot. At the entrance they could have those things that pop your tires if you go the wrong way, or guard rails. This way people can't exit through the entrance.

Or maybe they can install a guard rail that you drive up to, and scan or insert your AP and it will let your car through.

It's really a nice idea...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• OM NOM NOM

To answer the OP- The amount of lanes open most likely hinges on projected park attendance as well as the availability of CMs. For example, Super Bowl weekend found only 3-4 lanes open (a weekend where attendance is very likely to be lower than average) while every lane save one was open on Valentine's Day weekend (obviously a high-attendance vacation weekend). Furthermore, I imagine that having more ticket booths open isn't exactly the highest priority when it comes to casting positions as traffic control on upper levels and tram service seem to be consistently well-staffed.

I also agree with sediment that the influx of vehicles is possibly regulated to minimize traffic issues inside the structure proper.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post

Yeah, and add an AP only entrance to the Park too!!!

(actually bring it back, since they previously had one)

But thanks to the non-AP'ers that would get in the wrong line
    and then cause an even bigger mess, that idea would never work.

Plus there are those other folks that would insist that the cheap, dirty, mean and nasty AP'ers not be "entitled" to any additional perks than they already have...