Page 419 of 542 FirstFirst ... 319369394409416417418419420421422429444469519 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,285 of 8118

Re: Disney Face Character Auditions

Hi there! I am new to the site and I wanted to see what all of you have to say about the Disney Face Character auditions. I am considering auditioning in Orlando, Florida sometime in February or March, but I have a few questions to ask and I would love for your help!

1. Do you need professional experience to audition? or Does it ultimately help in the process of being callback for a character?

2. What is acceptable to wear to the audition? I have read up on the process a little bit and people have mentioned a 'dance routine'- is it more like a 'walk and smile' type of dance or more towards ballroom dancing? (i.e. Are character shoes acceptable? Which is preferred: Natural-look or heavy make-up appearance?)

3. What are some of the main features/details Disney is looking for? Any deal-breakers?
    (i.e. teeth, freckles, eye color, weight/size requirements, etc.)

I love reading all of your stories from the audition process! Any discussion or tips is much appreciated.
    Thank you so much!

, actually two. How often are you a fully costumed character compared to a face character? What are the fully costumed characters for my height? (5'2 and 5/8)
    WannabeSnowWhite- I have no idea how often you would be a fully costumed character. They guy who talked to us before the audition said something like this "Everyone who is a face character will also be a fully costumed character. You could be at a face character meet and greet one day, a costumed character in a show the next day, and in the parade the next." And as for heights of the costumed character I have no idea though I have seen something about it in this thread before.

for an audition do i need to contact someone before i go?
    there is an audition on the 20 of this month for disney character performers at anaheim, do i need to contact someone before i go to the audition or do i just show up?
    geckogaby1 - No, I am pretty sure it says on the disneyauditions.com website that you just need to show up. You can read on their how to prepare for your auditions and what to bring as well.

1. Do you need professional experience to audition? or Does it ultimately help in the process of being callback for a character?

2. What is acceptable to wear to the audition? I have read up on the process a little bit and people have mentioned a 'dance routine'- is it more like a 'walk and smile' type of dance or more towards ballroom dancing? (i.e. Are character shoes acceptable? Which is preferred: Natural-look or heavy make-up appearance?)

3. What are some of the main features/details Disney is looking for? Any deal-breakers?
    (i.e. teeth, freckles, eye color, weight/size requirements, etc.)
    Sarahlorraine - 1. Since they are looking for specific face characteristics it doesn't much matter if you have experiance or not. There were some beaufitul girls who danced perfectly at the audition I attended and they were not picked.

2. There were people in jeans, people in summer dresses, people in sparkly dresses with big read bows in their hair (not recommended IMO), people in workout/dance clothes and everything in between. Wear something comfortable you never know if you will have to dance or not. It was a simple dance unless you are a clutz like me, but every auditions if different - you might not have to dance you might just stand there while they look at your face, or you might have to act out something without using words. I'm not a dancer I don't know what character shoes are but if they are those little dance shoes then there were some people wearing those and a lot of tennis shoes too. As for make up IMO I would not cake it on they want to see your facial features but that's just me!

3. I don't think any of the things you mentioned really matter, and no one but the casting directors know what features they are looking for and they - or at least the ones at the auditions I was at - are not telling. They made it clear a few times that if you were not chosen to please not ask them why because they are looking for specific facial features and well you can't change your face!

really you should just go to the audition and have fun. I thought it was a bull when I saw people say that but it's true, go have fun and when you don't get picked go again in a few months.

WannaBeSnowWhite: Disney may fudge your height a bit because you are right on the edge of being princess height. I know people who gain up to two inches at auditions to put them in a different height range. Fur character wise, you are in Chip and Dale range, which is a very large range of characters. Face wise, you are on a bubble. Princess starts at about 5'3", Alice is listed right now as 5'2"-5'4", and Tink/Periwinkle are listed as 4'11"-5'2".
    geckogaby: There is no one to contact prior to an audition, you just show up. I would recommend arriving early though because I've heard the lines can get very long. Plan on staying the entire day, regardless if you are first in line or not. The way I've been told auditions run, there are many cuts throughout the day and if you make it through all of them, you will be there for a long time.
    Sarahlorraine: 1) Professional experience is good for confidence building, but not required. I know people who are working as characters where that was their first audition ever and they had never done any acting/dancing before, others have been working in that field for years. I think it mostly depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a parade dancer, you need to have dance experience, shows (TLM, BATB, DAWM, etc) acting/stage experience is needed. If you want to do walk around or parade characters, there isn't experience needed.
    2) Wear something that shows off your body but is comfortable to move in. I wouldn't recommend dresses because then you are limited in your movement. Character shoes are fine if you can walk in them. I have been to many auditions where girls wear character shoes and literally can't stand properly in them, let alone act and dance in them. From what I've been told, the dance portion is fairly easy Regardless of how hard or easy the dance is, they do not care or expect you to get all of it. They want to see you keep going when you mess up, make different faces, smile a lot, and just have fun. I would recommend natural makeup because that's what the face characters wear in the parks.
    3) Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to determine what Disney is looking for at any given time. The only thing I can tell you to do is get your height, give yourself a two-inch bubble (i.e. if you're 5'3", your "bubble" would be 5'1"-5'5") and look at the current face characters in those ranges to get a basic idea of what Disney is looking for right now in your range. There is an exception to every "Disney NEVER hires someone with..." so I wouldn't listen to those types of statements. I've seen crooked teeth, moles, colored contacts (and characters with different colored eyes than in the movies), big chests, small chests, pale, tan, everything. Looking at the current character friends in your range will give you some idea, but Disney often surprises us sometimes with their casting choices so don't get depressed!

Thank you so much AshleyP and Harpist1991! Your advice and tips are much appreciated! I am looking forward to auditions. Good luck to all those who audition as well!

Thank you for the info=]

Hey everyone!

I finally decided to post after months of reading the posts!

I have always longed to be a face character. I like to dream but I will probably never actually audition, just stick to dreaming and reading about others who audition because its surprisingly fun! But just out of curiousity, are dimples a deal breaker? I have dimples so I'm just wondering because I've never seen anyone talk about it.

I just finished the DCP working in WDW and a lot of my friends were face characters/furs and I was sooo jealous! Working merchantainment was still fun though
    Last edited by maxgoof; 01-10-2013 at 07:25 PM.

maxgoof - Don't worry! Dimples are in no way a deal breaker, I've seen quite a few face characters have dimples. Although I am not a casting director, I don't think it should be too big of an issue.

Hey, quick question. I'm nearly 6 and a half feet tall. Anyone know a full list of characters over 6 feet? I know there's Goofy, Woody, Jafar, maybe Captain Hook.

Hi MiceChat!

I'm new but have been reading lots of this thread and there's such great info about auditioning! I'm from Canada and have auditioned 3 times for Performers with Disney Cruise Lines but so far haven't been cast. Reading your stories of success and struggle has inspired me to keep going! I hope to continue auditioning, maybe for Tokyo, Hong Kong or Paris since Cruise Lines haven't gone so well. {I'm 99.9% sure I'm not eligible to work at DL or WDW as a performer because I'm Canadian}

I wanted to join this board to keep updated on how everyone's doing with their auditioning and maybe I'll even see you there one time!

One quick question I have for anyone who might know is, do you think a girl going in with bangs makes it harder for them to tell if you might suit a certain role? My headshot has me with bangs and I have bangs currently but I've often wondered if that is not helping me ?Looking forward to sharing the excitement of auditioning with you!
    Last edited by CMHopeful; 01-17-2013 at 08:09 PM.

• ^_~.

Hey, it's been awhile since I checked this thread. Glad to see so many people have had successful auditions within the last few months. Congrats!
    I've been away mostly because I've been preparing to move. On Thursday I'll be boarding a plane to San Diego to be with my family. Naturally, one of the first things I'll be doing will be heading up to DLR to attend the character performer auditions on the 20th^-^. I've never attended a fur audition before, but I feel a little less nervous about it, because it doesn't seem like it would matter what you look like, right? As long as you can move and act and are the right height? I hope this is the case! I'm not hideous, but I know my smile is less than ideal.
    Anyway, one major question I had was one that I'd asked awhile back, but I think it got lost in the shuffle: I go to anime conventions, where I wear costumes that I've made. There are a lot of pics of me on my facebook page wearing various costumes. If a potential Disney employer were to check my page and see that I've posted pics of myself in costume, would that raise a red flag in his mind that maybe he shouldn't hire me for fear I might post pics of myself in one of their Disney costumes? Of course I never would, but they don't necessarily know that. Do you think I should take them down to be on the safe side?

Hi Chase the Dream!

I'm new here but I thought I'd give my two cents anyway though I don't have any experience working for Disney or anything. I think your facebook pictures would be safe. If it looks like you're at an anime convention dressed as a favourite character I'm sure they won't think anything more of it. I'm guessing once hired CM's probably get lots of rules about what they can and cannot say and do online etc and as long as you follow those rules I think you're good to go. Break a Leg at your audition!! {and I'm sure other people will have better answers for you than me}

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Kovu View Post
    Hey, quick question. I'm nearly 6 and a half feet tall. Anyone know a full list of characters over 6 feet? I know there's Goofy, Woody, Jafar, maybe Captain Hook.
    Don't know, but being over 6'2" is a huge plus. I would imagine you could also toss in the Queen of Hearts there as well.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Kovu: There are a handful of characters in that range. Queen of Hearts, Goofy, and Jafar are definitely in that range. I believe that is also the taller special consideration so that is definitely a plus too!
    CMHopeful: You can do the CP as an international student. I think you have to get a work visa and stuff like that but WDW's CP also has character performer positions. I am not 100% sure on the rules about international performers, but I think they can audition for a performer role. If you are looking for more permanent work, one of the international parks are a good option because I know that they hire people from around the world. If you want to get in on the cruise lines, I would recommend taking dance classes because the people who are hired onboard also perform in the shows. As for bangs, I don't think they should be too much of a problem. You might find it easier, after you get hired, to grow them out because you'll have to put them up everytime you work for the wig. I have bangs too so I completely understand where you're coming from! Perhaps bring your headshot with bangs and pull them back for the audition so they can see you both ways? If you audition for the CP in particular, I know they take another picture of you at the audition so if you pull them back then, they'll have pictures of you with and without bangs.
    ChaseTheDream: I don't think there is anything wrong with your pictures, especially if they were from a convention. If you did "princess parties" or something that was a blantant copyright thing, that might be a problem. I know people who work at WDW and DLR as face characters who cosplay those same characters at local conventions so I don't think it should be a huge problem.

Hi Harpist, thanks for your great answers and ideas! It'd be great to do the CP but I've been out of college for a while now and so it'd be a lot to register for college just to get into the program. I've been performing in musical theatre for 15 years and went to college for musical theatre so I do have quite a bit of dance experience but a dance class or two probably wouldn't hurt either haha! Thanks for the idea about the bangs too!!
    Last edited by CMHopeful; 01-14-2013 at 10:00 PM.

I completely understand where you're coming from with the CP. You can still attend a local CP audition even if you're not in college because they hire full/part/seasonal from those as well. They don't hire for the cruise line or overseas parks through those, but I know people who get calls from the cruise line if they are put in the character pool. Personally, I know people who were put in the character pool for WDW for face characters and the cruise lines called them and asked to work for them. At the very least, it'll save you an expensive trip to Orlando for an audition.