Thread: Coaster idea

Coaster idea

Umm, not sure where to post this exactly but here goes...

I'm just wondering whether a coaster idea I have been thinking about is plausible... It's for an imaginary Hong Kong Disneyland Resort second-gate that I have been posting about in the HKDR forum.

The concept in a way is a modern Matterhorn Bobsleds, but rather than spiraling around a mountain, the ride would be more like the real thing - set in a bobsled run (with highly banked curves).

So the technical side of things is what I'm not-so-good at... Does the following sound like a possibility?

I want to have the actual tubular tracks out-of-sight, underneath the "ice" surface of the run. I'm thinking that the train would be on mini-stilts so that when you look at the run all you see are two cracks under which is the track... I hope this is making sense?!

The train wouldn't actually touch the "ice", but would sit a couple inches above it.

Also, I want to simulate the motion of going down an ice halfpipe and moving from one bank across to the other in a slalem kind of motion, but with the train facing directly forward (not towards the banks) the whole time... on a different axis I guess.

Does this sound at all possible?
    Last edited by Bryce05; 02-17-2009 at 08:59 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Coaster idea

It's completely possible, and there's also a HK Disneyland Resort section for anything Hong Kong related. Perhaps a Mod can move it there since you're ideally suggesting this attraction for that park.

But going into discussion, a Luge kind of attraction... what land would it be in? there's something neat about the swiss alps. What would be the look of this coaster?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Knows Where His Towel Is

That's actually quite feasible; it's kinda hard to explain, but in short, the vehicles are raised a few inches above the undercarriage and connected to it by a vertical bar of sorts. A company is working on it, but no models have been built yet.

Gyroscopes could handle the 'swaying' motion you were talking about, as could current technology, especially Arrow Dynamics' Suspended Coaster models.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    That's actually quite feasible; it's kinda hard to explain, but in short, the vehicles are raised a few inches above the undercarriage and connected to it by a vertical bar of sorts.
    Yes, I think you've got the idea. Thanks for the info, I was worried there might be some blatant reason that it isn't plausible.

Coheteboy - the attraction would be set in the Maple Province land (based on Canada) of a park called Disney's North American Adventure. Check out my thread in the HK forum for info; I haven't yet posted details on Maple Province but will do so in the next day or so hopefully.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

A great type of rollercoaster for this is called "Flying Turns". It's made of steel or wood and runs like a bobsled would with no track, but in a half tube shape, the turns are banked and the rollercoaster feels just like a toboggan ride would. Look it up in Roller Coaster Tycoon or online and you'll find more out.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

^ Oh yeah! Completely forgot about that. Go to Roller Coaster Database and search 'Flying Turns'. Pretty interesting stuff.

HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    A great type of rollercoaster for this is called "Flying Turns".
    Yes, that model of coaster is where I'm drawing some of my inspiration from, however I need the coaster to be on an actual track, so that it can have block brakes and (lol) LIMs.

• Addicted to Disneyhol

I was wondering if your idea could fit with this existing coaster type. Or if this is similar to what your thinking of.
    La Vibora (Six Flags Over Texas)

Edit: Wow people beet me to that fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce05 View Post
    Yes, that model of coaster is where I'm drawing some of my inspiration from, however I need the coaster to be on an actual track, so that it can have block brakes and (lol) LIMs.

Modern Flying Turns do have block brakes, and I'm sure LIMs could be done.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

Aah, I just did a search and saw that they can indeed have block brakes - I never knew that.

I want the smooth look of a Flying Turns and the functionality of tubular steel I guess. The coaster would travel at much higher speeds, and have much larger more spanning curves than any free-run bobsled coaster I have seen... And for some reason I just can't see Disney ever going for a free-run coaster, though I know they're perfectly safe.

Thanks for the help guys! Check out my thread in a day or so for a proper write-up.