Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Question If you could stop time at Disneyland, what year would it be and why?

For me it would be 1975. That's when I was selling newspaper subscriptions to go to the Park once a year. Hangin' out in Tomorrowland (when it was rockin')with my buds. Spending hours in Merlins Magic Shop in Fantasyland. Stealing a smoke on the DRR between Frontierland and Tomorrowland.
    Good times...
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: If you could stop time at Disneyland, what year would it be and why?

Great thread!

I'd pick 1985. You have a great Tomorrowland, a newly redone Fantasyland, etc.

• Super saucy pixie!

Oh, cool topic!
    I'd pick, 1980 because I'd love to see what the park was like the year I was born. I think that would be pretty cool. 1955 would be fun too (as long as I was hanging out with Walt all day), just to have a clear comparison of how far it has come. And I'd even take 1997 too, the first year I worked there! Such good times!

• Senior Minion

I would pick 1962 that was when the park had the most going for it.It seemed like Tommorrowland was a moving utopian city. It just had that feeling of being alive, maybe I never lived it but the pictures tell a story. Tommorrowland is still stale, and needs to go back to that. Monorail,Skyway, SUBS, Motor boats, and so much more.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• CM for 4 years!

1963 - Tiki Room
    1967 - it's a small world
    1967 - Pirates of the Caribbean
    1969 - Haunted Mansion
    1959 - Matterhorn
    1959 - Submarine Voyage
    1965 - Carousel of Progress
    1967 - NEW TOMORROWLAND
    1967 - Flight to the Moon
    1967 - Adventure Through Inner Space

Looking at this timeline, I'm pretty sure that I would have liked to have been born about 1953-1954, so I've have been an adolescent throughout this entire period. Plus, I always imagine what it would be like to live in the 60's. I'm a nostalgia hound, so sue me.

And, with this 1953 birthdate in mind, I would have been about 14 when New Tomorrowland opened. CHA! Tomorrowland was THE place to be for hip teens in OC. I would have been all over it.

This is a sort of bittersweet thread to me, and it reminds me of one thing that I want really bad but I'll never have-- a childhood in the 50's and 60's.
    Last edited by melmel; 09-17-2005 at 09:36 PM.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Minion

Most specifically .... in August ... as Flight to the Moon and Adventure Thru Inner Space were not finished at the time of the July 2nd Grand Opening ceremonies for Tomorrowland.

This is by far .. the greatest Tomorrowland ever built.

At that time ...... the "World on the move" Tomorrowland was one of the most exciting features of Disneyland!!

To be there when all that was new ...... all the 1967 fashions .... the music going at Coca-Cola Tomorrowland Terrace ..... Skyway .. and everything else going - OHHH, I'd love it!!!!!!!!!!

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Good thread. I'd pick 1959 when they opened the Matterhorn, subs and all.I'd be there watching walt cut the ribbon on the monorail. Sure the best rides hadn't happened yet, but hey, Walt was in the house.

• Still lost in Neverland

Same here. The Matterhorn, The Monorail, The Columbia, and others plus Walt was still walking the Park and making sure everytning was right in his Park. That would be something. I was there then, and it was wonderful.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

1979......Space Mt. and Big Thunder were both pretty new*. Pirate Ship Rest and Skull Rock were still in Fantasyland. Matterhorn had a new interior. Innerspace and America Sings along with Circle Vision and Mission to Mars were still there. Tahitian Terrace was going strong. Monorail was more impressive with its Metal looking cars. Skyway and Peoplemover were giving the place a kinetic feel. Motor Boat Lagoon, Fort Wilderness, American Egg House, Country Bears, Main St. Electrical Parade, Monorail Cafe, Parking Lot, A-E ticket books and a good Lincoln Show all made this the best Year in my most humble opinion

*Yeah, that's right...two Super E-Ticket timeless attractions built within 2.5 years of each other..............now days they open up a C Tik and do an overlay to a B Tik(Pooh and Tarzan) within 3 years of each other and they pat themselves on the back
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

1983... I would almost say 1979 (the year I finally "conquered" Space Mountain and rode it 21 times in one trip), but I love the re-done Fantasyland. The attraction mix was really ideal from 1979 until 1988. Once they closed America Sings, it's been almost all downhill ever since.

• Minion

Hmmmm - - maybe 1978 - Just after they refurbed the Matterhorn with caves and the Bumble, but before they closed Nature's Wonderland.

The exciting Space Mountain complex was newly open with the outdoor Space Stage pavillion featuring name entertainment - - and 1967 Tomorrowland was still going strong with Adventure Thru Inner Space, Rockets up high, PeopleMover and America the Beautiful (and its speaker phones), Tomorrowland Terrace and the cool mod color scheme and design. Submarine Voyage, Skyway, America Sings, Mary Blair's murals, Flight to the Moon all intact. Autopia cars still looked cool.

Fantasyland still had the eye-popping Eyvind Earle colors/banners and Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock were still serving hot tuna - - and I don't think they had yet changed the original flat Sleeping Beauty castle dioramas. Cartoon theatre was open. No ugly FL stage/Videopolis or ToonTown.

Nature's Wonderland was still happenning, as was The Golden Horseshoe Revue, Keel Boats, Tahitian Terrace and Swiss Family Treehouse and everything on Tom Sawyer Island was working. There were lovely night trips on the Rivers of America pre-Fantasmic chaos.

Bear Country was still just that.

New Orleans Square still had interesting, unique little shops and food, as did Main Street, which had not yet been "malled" - - with Walt's detailed Ice Cream Parlor and Apothecary intact. Name Big Bands played at Carnation Plaza Gardens which still served burgers.

Walt's original 60's Lincoln show was still playing with original speech and Battle Hymn. Main Street Electrical Parade played in the summer, along with Fantasy in the Sky.

DL still sold ticket books, reasonably priced - as well as General Admission - - and kept everything immaculate. Cast was nice, attractive and courteous and better paid for the time.

Cheap, cheesy additions had not yet become a standard (nor were they even a possibility yet). Everything added was beyond expectation.

Walt Disney Productions had not yet become The Walt Disney Company. It was still run by people dedicated more to the Disney traditions than to Wall Street and Beijing. There was still the strong smell of Walt and his visual taste and operational ideas on what Disneyland should be - - and there was hope for the future of Disney to recover from its movie slump of the time and for feature animation to reawaken.

It was still a unique show, not just part of a global corporate marketing scheme.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 09-18-2005 at 09:08 AM.

• secure all cargo

It's a toss up between

1) 1975 - The year I first visited. I'd like to see how everything was when I 1st fell in love w/ the place. The old Tommorrowland w/ the Peoplemover, Subs, and Adventure Thru Innerspace, the old Bear Country, Skull Rock, Motorboat Cruise. And to see the old parking lot and experience the anticipation of seeing the main gate from your car.
    2) 1955 - when the park 1st opened.

• Animatronic

In this, I must agree with Merlinejones.

1978 - Indians gone, but Bear Country was kept fairly realistic and hidden as to not ruin Frontierland like Splash Mountain. Haunted Mansion still felt isolated and spooky. Space Mountain really finished the space stage and tomorrowland was happening, often with two live bands playing at the same time. The only minor negative was that Space Mountian could be seen from Main Street, ruining the period theme from a few angles. The Skyride was still operational and the Matterhorn was finished on it's inside. And yes, shopping was an experience which added to the rich themes of each land. Best of all, no churro carts, nothing that broke the theme of a land in a way that says "we just don't care"

• DisneylandDan

late 70s early 80s , people mover was still there we got space and btmrr and the park looked so colorful just looked like so inviting, also late 80s though was fun when tommorow land wasnt as sterile as a rubber glove. oooo and skyway was there I loved that!

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

1980. DL still had all (most) the great attractions from the 60's and 70's
    and it was the 25th Anniversary of DL, which I wasn't able to attend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast