Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

Diggers photo and video laden TR: 2/8-2/13

I haven’t seen many trip reports posted lately, so I thought I would try and get the ball rolling by posting my second-ever report……ironically dealing with many “firsts”.

Our first full day in the park was Sunday the 8th. I had done my homework and checked the weather forecast, so we were dressed in our rain gear for the first two days of the trip. Because of the rain I didn’t take many scenery photos on Sunday or Monday, but did manage to take this one:

This spot, between Snow White and Pinocchio, is one of my favorites.

Later in the day I captured these two Fantasmic events: The first part of the clip is of Captain Hook remaining stationary on a rope ladder (I’m sure there is some official nautical name for it, but heck if I know what it is). I don’t know if this was a Hook-in-training, or the “wet/raining” version of the show, but it happened 3 nights in a row before he finally started chasing Pan around the ship again. The second part of the clip is of Maleficent standing in for what should be a dragon. The dragon was working on Saturday the 7th, but we did not see it again for the rest of the week. I guess Mickey might have finally gotten the best of that old dragon after all.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=9oxH_lTYOH0

After catching Fantasmic on Sunday, Regan (my daughter) and I did one of our many “firsts” this trip. We had never been on BLAB, so we decided to give it a try. One of the beautiful things about an off-season rainy Sunday is that there is almost no one in the park, especially after Fantasmic. We walked right on to Buzz and, for lack of a better term, had a blast. We wound up riding it 4 times in a row before the park closed on us. I would post our photos and scores, but I have seen some of the numbers you Mice Chatters achieve, and ours were nowhere near those. I have to admit that I have no idea how some of you folks routinely score over a million points. The best I could muster was in the 400,000’s.

Monday started off to be a great day. It was cool and raining, again, so we were once again prepared to get a little wet. On our way into the park we passed through the right tunnel just in time to spot Minnie walking into the Opera House. Hoping we would catch her for a quick photo we walked in to be met by….

After posing for a quick photo, we walked in to the lobby and discovered several characters interacting with only a handful of guests. Most of the folks who were posing with the characters soon walked in to the theater to watch the 50th movie, leaving about 10 guests with 6-7 characters. What resulted was a very happy 5 year old getting a TON of character time without making anyone else wait. The longest interaction was with Goofy, who decided to take Regan on a little walk-about of the lobby….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=3TAnoHBu7bQ

The whole experience in the lobby of the Opera House was amazing. I couldn’t help but think of the long lines and short interaction times we would be facing if this were a sunny day. Instead, Regan got a private dance with Mickey and Minnie, her Goofy walk-about, and several minutes with the other characters on scene. Here are a few photos of our very lucky Monday morning:

The rest of the day was mostly spent taking in dark rides and trying to keep dry.

Coming up, most likely later tonight: The return of the sun, Billy Hill makes a lasting impression, several more “firsts”, and people I don’t know…..

Re: Diggers photo and video laden TR: 2/8-2/13

First of all, you're getting pretty good with that HD video camera and editing software.

I haven't seen footage of the "new" fantasmic yet, so that was a treat. Nice video.

Seems like Regan got tons of interaction, hopefully that made up for your last trip. Goofy was awesome. It looks like he wanted to adopt her.

Now, I'm really getting anxious to go.
    Last edited by twrv; 02-19-2009 at 07:47 PM.

By the way, it's weird to hear a "disney-vet" such as yourself comment that your trip was full of "firsts." I got to know what else happened on your trip.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great photos so far! I really like the Snow White/Pinnochio area shot, and the one of your daughter, Cruella, and Minnie is priceless...Cruella's expression is spot on, good stuff.

• Missing Main Street

Hooray for Goofy!

Nice TR, thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Roald Dahl

• Mischievous Mouse

I like it. The more trip reports I see, the more I like them. Thanks!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

Welcome back to our weeklong trip report. We left off wet and gloomy, but Tuesday the sun finally came out. Fortunately, although the sun was out, not many people were. After going through security we walked right up to the entry gates. This is a beautiful sight to a 5 year old……come to think of it, for a 41 year old man too….

To get right on track with our theme of “firsts”, it wasn’t long before we found ourselves waiting for a showing of the Tiki Room. My friend Tommy made me swear that we would finally try a Dole Whip, so we gave our first one of those a go….

Now I know a lot of you like them, so don’t get all crazy on me, but we wound up throwing it away after a couple of bites. I guess I was expecting something a bit fruitier and less “processed tasting”. Oh well, there would be another “first” tasting that would go much better later in the week.

We spent most of our day, as usual, in Fantasyland. The crowds were wonderfully light:

Workers were also taking advantage of the sunshine as they painted the rockwork outside of what will become Disney’s Celebration Roundup and BBQ (I think that is what it is going to be called):

We also managed to get a ride in on Autopia, a ride we don’t normally wonder off to because of its location:

Crowds on Wednesday were about the same as Tuesday. We took a ride on the Mark Twain and found lots of empty spaces to roam:

Another one of my favorite sights is the Matterhorn through the leaves near Alice:

Someone had cleaned out the coins from Snow White:

And finally, to wind up Wednesday……Last on Pan:

Thursday’s report, full of HQ video, will be coming soon….

• Disney is home

Awesome report so far! I agree, I haven't seen very many trip reports on here either and I started to miss them. Thank you for doing this and definitely a wonderful job. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

I'm very bummed out that you didn't like the Dole Whip. Maybe you just had one from a "bad batch." I don't know, the picture of it looks yummy.

The picture of the Mark Twain is awesome. I've never seen it that empty. It looks like you were let in behind the scenes or something.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Wow, it look empty at the park. Great report.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Sgt. Mgr. Melfunction (:

Great time to go, nice and empty.
    Awesome pics so far. Can't wait for more.
    You're daughter is 100% adorable by the way.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

If you're daughter can become any more gorgeous... well.

SHE CAN'T

Why can I only picture the Big Thunder rocks turning multi-colored?

• Grim Grinning

Great report so far, looks like you had a ton of fun. Your daughter is soo cute, it looks like she was having a great time even with the rain.

• OM NOM NOM

That is AWESOME that your daughter got some quality character time. It makes me sad how they get shuffled to and fro for nothing more than photo opportunities and a signature in a book, when they used to have some degree of freedom. I remember goofing around w/ Chip and Dale when I was a little chap for a good 1/2 hour.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Indiana Scott

Wow, what a TR. Your daughter will enjoy those memories for the rest of her life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast