Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Comin' at ya!

Rides and Disney movies which depict smoking

I had a thought. I have been reading about the debate about smoking in films and the effect on children. I have noticed that several Disneyland rides depict smoking, and many Disney films do as well. I remember reading one article that mentioned that there was a petition to have all movies which depict smoking in a positive manor to get an automatic R or PG-13. It seems like a lot of the dark rides depict smoking.

What do you guys think about the Disney rides? Do you think they will be forced to take down/change the various attractions which depict smoking? And what about the Disney films? Usually I've noticed its a cigar, so maybe that doesn't count?

I am not meaning for this to be a debate between smoking vs non smoking or its affect on children. But rather whether Disney rides and/or films will be affected in the near future.

Will Disneyland be forced to remove all smoking elements from the children's rides? Discuss
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Re: Rides and Disney movies which depict smoking

In the past disney has change things to be more politically correct, so maybe it will, but I don't see why they would change though. They don't advocate that smoking is good.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Sock Puppet

Disney changed POTC to be more "PC", so why not tear up other rides to please some folks???

Sheesh... I guess it will never end...

Good-bye sweet America!!!

• It's all about Theme!

There is no reason Disney should do that. Tear out Tobacco Row because of the fact that its bad, that's the point. If parents don't like it that much, they should just explain to their children the dangers of doing what that character is doing.

But to eliminate? Please, don't.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    I have noticed that several Disneyland rides depict smoking...
    I say don't eliminate it, but what rides depict smoking??? I can't think of any besides a maybe POTC???

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I say don't eliminate it, but what rides depict smoking??? I can't think of any besides a maybe POTC???
    Tobacco Row from Pinnochio's Dark Ride.

The Weasels and some other characters have cigars in RR's Cartoon Spin I believe.

Peter Pan Possibly. I don't remember if the Indian Village or Pirates have any.

Caterpillar has the pipe in Alice.

There may be a few more.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Tobacco Row from Pinnochio's Dark Ride.

The Weasels and some other characters have cigars in RR's Cartoon Spin I believe.

Peter Pan Possibly. I don't remember if the Indian Village or Pirates have any.

Caterpillar has the pipe in Alice.

There may be a few more.
    Oh!!! I didn't even think about that. DUH!!! Sorry for asking a dumb question!!!

• Yeah.....

Simple answer, no.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Oh!!! I didn't even think about that. DUH!!! Sorry for asking a dumb question!!!
    Not to single you out here, but your question and your reaction to his answer is actually why I think they shouldn't have to change a ride just because it depicts smoking.

It's almost one of those sub-conscious things that you don't realize until someone points it out to you or you notice on your own and go "Whoa!". When I ride Pinocchio, of course I see cigars all over the place. It doesn't make me want to smoke a cigar. Same goes for the hat of cigarettes on Roger Rabbit, the Caterpillar in Alice, etc.

We live in a world where we see smoking all over the place. There's more of an influence in people getting others to smoke than a simple Disneyland ride and Disney movie.

I think it's hypocritical for them to treat smoking like the plague when their most famous ride contains tons of drunkards looting a town. I mean one of their AA's is so drunk that he is passed out laying with pigs. Give me a break. I hate the PC police.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    Not to single you out here, but your question and your reaction to his answer is actually why I think they shouldn't have to change a ride just because it depicts smoking.

It's almost one of those sub-conscious things that you don't realize until someone points it out to you or you notice on your own and go "Whoa!". When I ride Pinocchio, of course I see cigars all over the place. It doesn't make me want to smoke a cigar. Same goes for the hat of cigarettes on Roger Rabbit, the Caterpillar in Alice, etc.

We live in a world where we see smoking all over the place. There's more of an influence in people getting others to smoke than a simple Disneyland ride and Disney movie.
    It is fine!!! I am gald I could help you get your point across!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I know a friend of mine had an issue with Mark Twain (the AA, not the riverboat!) smoking on the American Adventure. It floored me. The omnipresent cigar represented Mr. Twain--he smoked in real life, and this was his facsimile. There is no way we can erase it from history during a history lesson.

But even when I read this post--I was like, "is there really smoking on some rides represented?" Couldn't think of any example besides Mr. Clemens. So no, don't cut it out. It happens.

I'm the same for movies. If there's a gun fight and it gets a G or PG, it can have smoking.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Missing Main Street

I don't think they'll change anything.

For the most part, as discussed, people aren't noticing those representations.
    Also, it's usually the bad guys doing the smoking, which adds to the kids' impression that it's not Ok.

(Love the point Tool made about the drunks in PotC - true! And I don't think that's making anybody go out and tie one on.)

I've always been a little surprised that they used Song of the South for Splash since they won't release the movie here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Roald Dahl

Speaking of Splash, I'm convinced everyone is finding their laughing place from all those mushrooms everywhere!

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    I think it's hypocritical for them to treat smoking like the plague when their most famous ride contains tons of drunkards looting a town. I mean one of their AA's is so drunk that he is passed out laying with pigs. Give me a break. I hate the PC police.
    Amen to that!
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast