Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Greetings, Program!

Being a child in Disneyland

Something about this place just took me over when I was about 4 years old. Now, I dont remember everything about my first trip per se, but I remember it was with my mom and stepdad, and i still retain visions, faint fragments, of what I saw.

I think the most vivid memory of that first visit was being dragged, kicking and screaming, onto POTC. All I knew about what was coming was that it was dark and that it had pirates in it. Well, dear ol' "Dad" was taking us all on that ride whether I liked it or not. The real bummer was that he gave me over to my mom to sit me on her lap, after which I promptly began wetting my pants. Kinda set the tone for the rest of the day for her. To this day she hates him for that.

My other shards of memory that day/night consist of seeing this curious, sparkling being streaking over the Castle, seeing some rather beautiful women dancing among twirling sticks of fire on a stage near a dark river, mermaids floating and circling peacefully off in the distance of shadowy, dream-like water, and clapping my hands and stomping my feet at this big singing bear's command.

We'd go back...year after year. I'd grow a little more and retain more memories, developing more appreciation for the color and detail of the place. I remember thinking how curious that water molcules looked like little floating Mickey-heads. I remember how the Matterhorn went from looking like a frantic flight thru a lumber yard to an actual icy mountain dotted with caves and monsters. I remember thinking there was no finer meal than a chocolate chip cookie dipped in hot cocoa while watching the fireworks. And yeah, I remember that first heart-stopping teenage kiss in the Haunted Mansion with Kelly.

I'll be there again this evening, watching whatever swing band is scheduled at Carnation.....strolling the lands, watching the lights. I'll be looking for things that still remind me of those days. They'll be hard to find, seeing how dramatically the park has changed over 35 years. But maybe really all I need is to get a whiff of that Pirate water....maybe take a sip of that cocoa....

Share your childhood memories here, and dont worry about making a post and remembering something later that you wished you'd mentioned. I'm sure other things will come back to me.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

Re: Being a child in Disneyland

You know I don't remember alot of details. Guess my memory is going. But the one detail I do remember as a kid was the Matterhorn's monster. Scared the crap out of me. I still to this day get shivers when I pass them.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    You know I don't remember alot of details. Guess my memory is going. But the one detail I do remember as a kid was the Matterhorn's monster. Scared the crap out of me. I still to this day get shivers when I pass them.
    The 1978 TV commercial creeped me out pretty good too. But I still was itching to go on it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The earliest memory I personally have is freaking out at the train hitting me on Mr. Toad's wild ride. So many other great memories but that sticks as my earliest.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

My first Disneyland trip was when I was about 4 years old and Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin opened a couple months beforehand. I remember I saw Roger when he was still walking around the park and I ran over to him and got a picture with him.

http://micechat.com/forums/members/m...2962-roger.jpg

And I also remember being 6 or 7 years old screaming and crying because I was too scared to go on Haunted Mansion. My mom was trying to convince me the entire time we were in line. By the time we got to the door and heard the music, I freaked out. Didn't do it that day, but I did finally when I was 10. Now it's my favorite ride.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    The earliest memory I personally have is freaking out at the train hitting me on Mr. Toad's wild ride. So many other great memories but that sticks as my earliest.
    The first thing I remembered about that ride when I was a kid was the stark reference to a "hell". I thought it was rather odd that "hell" was even represented at a place like Disneyland.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I have great memories of Disneyland as a child, but the one that always sticks with me is watching the fireworks in front of the castle on my dad's shoulders. I don't remember any one specific visit, but this memory is rather a culmination of probably 10 or 20 trips during which this same scene occurred. Seeing the castle or the fireworks to this day makes me think of that.

Oh, and when I was 7 or 8 (not sure when) my mom and older brother dragged me on Space Mountain. I was freaking out. My brother and his friends always talked about SM as the end-all, be-all of scary roller coasters, and would tell me stories of incautious children and teens being horribly injured and maimed on the ride when they weren't following proper safety procedures. I begged and pleaded and had the biggest tantrum, through the whole line. And then I loved the ride.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post

And I also remember being 6 or 7 years old screaming and crying because I was too scared to go on Haunted Mansion. My mom was trying to convince me the entire time we were in line. By the time we got to the door and heard the music, I freaked out. Didn't do it that day, but I did finally when I was 10. Now it's my favorite ride.
    Funny how we were afraid to go on some of these rides and now we cant live without them.

• Lycanthropic Tendencies

i once got lost at Disneyland as a child, i guess i was maybe 7 or 8 or so. i remember meeting a woman and her son, who was probably about my age and they took me to lost and found i think it was, and then my mom and her friends found me there. it was so weird, i was lost but yet i wasn;t scared cuz i knew i was at Disneyland, and i didn't think anyone could hurt me there.

i have fond memories of the park too of course, like going on the People Mover with grandma, her and i loved that ride, her last trip to DL was back in 1993, and i remember we all went to Toon Town, and she didn't care for it too much lol. she died 5 yrs later but we had fun times, her and my mom and my friends or my moms friends, we used to go once a year.
    "Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop to take a look around once in a while you could miss it."

Lucas

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

My fondest memory of disneyland as a child is how my father used to take me every weekend and he would get on all the rides with me and just act like a kid. Those memories will always live in my heart and I thank my father for introducing me to Disney and making those memories that will last till I take my last breath.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Here's some things I'll always remember...

Being afraid of The Adventures Through Inner Space...I was convinced that we really were being shrunk down. My sister's and I would be watching the people in line ahead of us to see if we could pick them out after they were miniaturized. I'd say, "see, there's the lady with the red blouse!"

I also really thought we were diving down under water on the subs too!

My Grandma lived 5 minutes away so we would go a couple of times a year, when we came from AZ to visit. But only for one day, not the multi-day trips we do now. We would be there from open till close. Leaving always consisted of one of us passed out cold and another kicking and screaming about getting a souvenir (which we NEVER got!)

LOVED the Main Street Electrical Parade and I'm still not sure about the upcoming changes to the music.

In the Tiki Room I was afraid to sit by the totem tikis around the room. I thought they might bite my finger if I were to stick it in their mouth.

Another I can remember. It took years for me to get the courage to take on Space Mountain. That ride was the epitome of fear to me.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

I have another one!

I remember when Minnie ears used to be like plastic headbands with the teeth and my mom bought me a pair.

Once we were in Tomorrowland and a Rocket Rod went past me overhead. Then we went on Star Tours and I pretended to be Rex's co-pilot. Haha.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Hmm, I think I was 4 the first time I went. I remember having on this awesome 70s hat...kinda like the one Mush-mouth on Fat Albert wore, but it had Disney characters on it. Seeing Mickey Mouse was the highlight of my trip. There were a dozen other kids gathered around him but that was in the days before organized character lines so it was all about perserverance if you wanted to get up close. I was too intimidated by the other kids to get really close, but seeing him 20ft away was good enough for me.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Squealing Fangirl

Meh. I'm only 14, so it feels weird to call them 'childhood memories' but I guess that's what they are. The main thing I remember is the first time I went on Space Mountain. I was pretty freaked out, but I went on it and loved it. There was a group of screaming people, and I remember laughing because I wasn't scared at all. And I was forever terrified of the totem tiki guys on the wall in Tiki Room, or at least, forever until I was 12. I don't actually remember why I was so scared of them, but I was. Then there was this other time on Space Mountain at night, when they had that... spotlight... type thing. My brother told me it was a moon laser, and it would melt my brains if I looked at it. Being as I was 7 or so and my brother knew everything there was to know, I completely believed him and was shocked when my mom told me it wouldn't melt my brains. That's mostly what stands out to me, everything else is just general "Yay, I'm at Disneyland, this is fun!!!!!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast