Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: ... So what do people miss about Swiss Family Treehouse so much?

Thanks for posting that video, Aladdin. That really was lovely to see. le sigh.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Distant Disneylandaholic

I massively miss the water system--it really made it feel like someone could live there. The addition of the tarzan figures makes me feel like I'm walking through a museum for the purpose of looking at plastic Tarzan figures. Before, it felt like I was walking through an awesome treehouse where someone lived, they just didn't happen to be there at the time. I wonder if they took that water system because they thought it was too much maintenance?

I miss the music. I never knew that you could still hear it. I'm going this weekend and I'm going there to see if I can still hear it. Can't wait!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Prncscb View Post
    I miss the music. I never knew that you could still hear it. I'm going this weekend and I'm going there to see if I can still hear it. Can't wait!

Even though you can still hear it, it's not the same as going up the tree with that fun music in the background. It was just a fun little attraction that I walked every single visit.

• revolutionary waltz

I've only had the opportunity to be on the Swiss Family Treehouse when I was very little--too little to really have any memories of it--so I really appreciate the insight from everyone on the topic. I always heard about what was (admittedly quite) bad about Tarzan, but never what was good about Swiss Family Treehouse, so this was a really nice topic to read. :]

• Minion

1) It was an "escape" environment that took you away from the modern world and allowed you to imagine building a life on a desert island. It was a first-person experience where you were able to be the lead character.

2) The Robinson's setpieces were ingenious, including the water-delivery system and various "modern conveniences."

3) It was simply a beautiful environment with great views that I wanted to live-in. Walt himself made sure that every detail was lush and inviting.

4) The Swisskapolka was infectious and could be heard throughout the area.

5) Walt Disney's "Swiss Family Robinson" has always been - and remains - one of my very favorite movies.

6) No ugly Disney Store mannequins or kitschy interactive effects were needed to create it's magic -- it was pure Imagineering of the superior kind.

For much further analysis (and some great pics) see my article on the subject at Re-Imagineering:

Re-Imagineering: Escape to Paradise

At this point I'm only going to repeat what others have said buuuuut....

1) The huge plastic figures are disconcerting and don't fit in with the realistic feel of Adventureland (or anywhere for that matter)
    2) the Swiss Family Robinson tree house appealed to the fantasy of getting to live somewhere unlikely and how it would work

I went up in the Tarzan Tree House once and that was enough for me. I actually recall being embarrassed at how poorly done it was (plastic figures, plastic figures, plastic figures). Yet if the Swiss Family Robinson tree house were still there I would certainly make a point to see it during all of my trips to Disneyland.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• Embrace the kitsch!

Thumbs up Re: ... So what do people miss about Swiss Family Treehouse so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Extravabonanza View Post
    At this point I'm only going to repeat what others have said buuuuut....

1) The huge plastic figures are disconcerting and don't fit in with the realistic feel of Adventureland (or anywhere for that matter)
    2) the Swiss Family Robinson tree house appealed to the fantasy of getting to live somewhere unlikely and how it would work

I went up in the Tarzan Tree House once and that was enough for me. I actually recall being embarrassed at how poorly done it was (plastic figures, plastic figures, plastic figures). Yet if the Swiss Family Robinson tree house were still there I would certainly make a point to see it during all of my trips to Disneyland.
    Several people have cited the silly plastic figures that look like something rejected from a Disney Store (trying to keep my own feelings out of this ) as one of the reasons for Tarzan Treehouse's lack of appeal. In fact, we seem to be pretty unanimous in this.

So here's an interesting question: what if the Treehouse was kept exactly the same as it is now, but the figures were removed? Instead of seeing Sabor the leopard in your face, but looking stiff and fake, you would see the damage he caused and hear his scream from...somewhere close by. Kala's magic mirror, Jane's sketch room, etc, all the same but devoid of plastic characters.

I like the idea. It would have that same "suggestive" feel that Swiss Family had and the guests wouldn't feel like they're being spoon-fed a story.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• MiceChat Moderator

Interesting theory, Broadway, but I wold rather see the treehouse done before the damage was done. Because as it is right now, it's kind of like... messed up abandoned tree house.

The greatness of the Swiss Family Tree House was like... it felt like you were sneaking into the place while the Swiss Family was out and about. It felt lived in. Felt comfortable. It was just neat.

• Disney Geek

I miss the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    What I liked about the Swiss Family Treehouse was the overarching concept that this was the home of a family -- mom, dad and three kids -- a great escapist fantasy. The rooms and furnishings gave you a feeling of "I wish my family could live here" -- you could hear parents & kids say it all the time as they descended the stairs. The art direction and execution were top notch. The waterwheel and kitchen were intriguing and fun. The whole show felt like a little world unto itself. The "historical fantasy" feel of it was a great fit for the border of Adventureland and NOS. It worked on its own, apart from the film -- I was a fan of the Treehouse long before I saw the movie. To me it was the king of the B Ticket diversions (Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Motorboat Cruise, Art of Animation exhibit), inheriting the throne after 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea closed.

For me, turning it into "Tarzan's Treehouse" was like a bad joke. From the in-your-face marketing concept to the ridiculously over-thought bridge to the art direction and execution of sets and character figures, the only thing I could think of the one time I went through it was, "you can't be serious."

Sad.
    I think you nailed it here.

Whenever I toured the treehouse, I always used to imagine that I was stranded on that island in this glorious treehouse. I never could understand why Disney ruined such a wonderful artifact based on one of its biggest grossing movies of all time (and my personal favorite to boot) for a fad movie that wasn't even close to as popular as Swiss Family Robinson. I think lots of people took the SFR treehose for granted and now it's gone.

• Minion

Talking Re: ... So what do people miss about Swiss Family Treehouse so much?

I will take Swisskapolka over Phil Collins anyday of the week!
    Jason

• =)

I actually like the synth percussion versions of the music from the Tarzan film. I miss being able to faintly hear that from the outdoor Indy queue.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

The bedrooms. And the water system.

I wanted to sleep there, as a kid. It was so interesting, to be in someone's home. I always wanted to know more about the family. I read a kids version of Swiss Family Robinson, and fell even more in love with it.
    Code Lee-Oh-Co (Or Jessica, if you want)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123