Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Breaking Disney News

Booked vacation to DL and....

...just can't seem to get excited about the rest of our SoCal trip. We are currently planning on going to LA for 3 days after DL as we went to San Diego on our previous trip in 2007. For everyone who has done a DL + SoCal trip please help me get excited!
    Visit disneyreport.com for breaking news from the world, land, and company.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Booked vacation to DL and....

What else do you like to do? Name an interest, name a hobby, and we can come up with a hundred ideas.

Automotive and Transportation buff? The Petersen Automotive Museum, the Nethercutt Collection and the Tower Of Beauty at San Sylmar, Traveltown, Los Angeles Live Steamers (Walt's Barn) Orange Empire Railway Museum...

Live theatre performances? Got em. Movie studios? Got 'em, and not fakes. They actually make movies as you watch.

TV tapings? Got 'em - Jay Leno's moving to Prime Time, and Conan O'Brien is moving to LA and taking over at 11:35.

Shopping? South Coast Plaza, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, Century City, Brentwood, Westwood? Right over there.

Adrenaline junkie? If California Screamin' isn't enough to get your heart started, there's Ghost Rider Et. Al. at Knotts, and a bunch of good ones at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Jurassic Park at Universal is no slouch... And don't forget the scariest one of all, the Los Angeles Freeway System!

So, What do you want to do today? Seriously.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• always, the freaky cat

I suggest a visit to the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. It's free and super-cool. When it reopened recently after a huge 3-year refurbishment, I was almost as excited to go there as I am to go to Disneyland. (Then again, I am a bit of a geek.)

• Indiana Scott

Don't forget Sea World and the Aquarium in Monterey!

Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific might be closer....

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Don't forget Sea World and the Aquarium in Monterey!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmomof4 View Post
    Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific might be closer....
    Definitely... But maybe the OP is going to start their trip in Frisco (*) and work their way down the coast sightseeing along the way - we still don't know what we're working with yet.

(* - Sorry - but get over it. )

Disreport still needs to check in with what they (and the rest of the party) already have planned, where the plane lands and takes off from, any pre-ordained stops for friends and relatives, and of course any interests and hobbies.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Breaking Disney News

Bruce,

We are flying into and out of SNA. If it were up to me, we would spend the entire week at DL ( i know, i know). However, I know we need to split it up a little and would like to venture north to LA. Someone be honest, is Universal Studios worth seeing? I know everything you could possibly know about the park, but no first-hand experience.

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by disreport View Post
    Bruce,

We are flying into and out of SNA. If it were up to me, we would spend the entire week at DL ( i know, i know). However, I know we need to split it up a little and would like to venture north to LA. Someone be honest, is Universal Studios worth seeing? I know everything you could possibly know about the park, but no first-hand experience.
    In my opinion, it is definitely worth checking out for one day. There certainly isn't as much to do as Disneyland, but it's a fun and well-done park with the space they were given. There are a few fun rides and shows, and as Bruce said it's actually functioning studio! Other studios in the area also offer tours (probably more in depth than Universal's tram).

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: Booked vacation to DL and....

Themeparks-Check
    Zoological sights-Check
    Museums-Check
    Sports-Check
    Shopping-Check
    Sights-Check
    Good Weather-Check
    Others-Check
    Recreational Activities-Check
    Bad Transportation-Check

What else do you need? Have fun!!!

• 2nd star to the right...

Hey - if you need a good laugh and some great sun, hop on over to Venice beach for a stroll! You'll see EVERYTHING out there!

Maybe check out some other studios and see if you can book some tours? What about Paramount Studios?
    - J. Darling
    Singer, songwriter, paper pusher, boxer owner, student, and all around Disney fanatic.
    Loving my Disneyland Annual Pass!
    Next trip to WDW: 12/1-12/6/09!
    Next trip to DLR: This week!
    See ya in the parks!

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    In my opinion, it is definitely worth checking out for one day. There certainly isn't as much to do as Disneyland, but it's a fun and well-done park with the space they were given. There are a few fun rides and shows, and as Bruce said it's actually functioning studio! Other studios in the area also offer tours (probably more in depth than Universal's tram).
    If you do Universal Hollywood, go during the week when they'll actually be filming. AFAIK they put up schedules a bit ahead, so which day you pick might hinge on what movie you want to see a little bit of happen live.

There's also the Warner Brothers Ranch lot in Burbank - a shadow of it's former self, but they still do a lot there. It's all "Personal Guided Tours" only, meaning a bit pricey but worth it from what I hear.

Jay Leno tapes The Tonight Show around 5 PM daily when it's running, so that's possible - and free, like most of the tapings.

Leno draws a crowd without help, but a lot of the others hire ticketing services to find live audiences to fill the house. So call one of the services and see what's taping while you are in town.

Or episodic stuff like all the Soaps, and Daytime stuff like Drew Carey and The Price Is Right, but they often tape several shows in a day and don't work every day. CBS is down in the Fairfax area, NBC is still in Burbank, there's a lot that gets taped and filmed at Sony Studios in Culver City.

Any other interests?

--<< Bruce >>--

• Breaking Disney News

Thanks to everyone for the response so far! Anybody got a favorite place in LA you like to stay as a complement to a DL trip?

....btw, I'm not a clueless about DL and surrounding area as these posts sound....we are just a WDW family.

• Minion

Go to universal, knotts, and if u could go to sea world. There's the surfliner train that I beileve there's a station by Disneyland near the angels stadium and I beileuve it takes you to San deigo. Better than driving about an hour and a half. Also San deigo animal park is cool if you want to see animals. There's also lego land which is better for the younger kids up to ten.

For site seeing go to Hollywood. The grove which I met rhinanna there and celebritys go there. Newport beach and balboa has good boat tours. U should check Newport out gives u a feel if the locals and sea life.

• no flash photography...

I enjoyed the greystone mansion. Hollywood was interesting. There's always the beaches. I really need to do more touristy stuff. Catalina island was ok....if you like to shop and touristy stuff. I also love the queen mary, but it all depends on what interests you.

• Minion

Okay don't read my post before but what do u do in Orlando?

What did u do in San deigo?

What do u enjoy in both of these?

What are u interseted besides Disney?

Reply and I'll tell u what big and little things to enjoy, also how old r your children if u have any,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast