•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Land/Area Specific Characters for DL

Now, granted, the park has a few of these...the Dapper Dans on Main Street, Laughing Stock and Farley over in Frontierland, Queenie and her band and the Bootstrappers for NoS. But why not really up the ante and deliver themed, interactive characters that are more spontaneous?

Frontierland could really, really do with a sherriff and a bank robber type, and staged gun fights like they used to do in the old days, or just to roam the land even if not in a show, or a old prospector type character for around Big Thunder or the riverfront, to speak in authentic frontier gibberish. Tommorowland could be a lot more distinctive with a couple characters, set up a Star Wars themed exterior set and have people out just to interact with guests...various Jedi, Sith, or Republic representatives, or a mad scientest type, as Maynard performed previously, lurking about the HISTA theater, given it's supposed to be an experimental science institute.

Adventureland doesn't have Indy anymore, but a couple of archeologists that switch off throughout the day, or a delusional jungle guide could be fun, talking to people and asking them about animals or pointing out artifacts in the land. New Orleans square could feature characters tied into the Haunted Mansion more, such as a "frightened" gardener or groundskeeper out front, or having a small show of one of the butlers or maids tending to the tombs and Pet Cemetary, adding a wreath of black roses, or flowers...something to make it feel more lived in, as the other additions throughout the lands would do. Critter Country could recieve a faux-naturalist and animal expert, to help locate Pooh and friends, if out, or deliver fake talks about the local wildlife (talking foxes and bears, singing geese, those country bears that dont come around anymore). None of these ideas are concrete, but something in this direction would be nice for the park...your thoughts?
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Re: Land/Area Specific Characters for DL

It is a very interesting idea that would add a whole other element to the park. Unfortunately I don't see Disney adding any characters that do not tie in with a movie.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• revolutionary waltz

I like the idea, but at the same time I worry about what it might do to traffic in Adventureland and the like, particularly on the really busy days.

• Queen of Sarcasm

You know, I think that this would be a good idea, but it probably won't happen. As we all know, when the park opened it was normal to find characters that fit the theme of the land (examples of this being the Indian dancers and Davy Crockett among others.) Now I think that in order to save money (which everyone is doing these days) Disney prefers not to have to pay someone money to portray these characters as they technically aren't needed. They did have some seasonal characters (Jack and Sally from Halloween this year) but after the holiday was over they were gone from the parks. I know that there was some complaints about the fact but I think it is better that way, makes you look forward to something if it happens once a year (if it continues next year.) If we had Jack and Sally year round they would lose the luster, Jack Sparrow would be an example of this.

As someone mentioned, I don't think that an area character would be that great of an idea in Adventureland because that area is a bottleneck already. This summer when we had the Indiana Jones show that took place on the streets of Adventureland people would stop right in the middle of the walkway to watch the show making it almost impossible to move. I can see the same thing happening here, a lot of people wait in a line to have a picture taken with this "adventurer" and disrupt the flow of traffic in that already congested area.

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    I like the idea, but at the same time I worry about what it might do to traffic in Adventureland and the like, particularly on the really busy days.

I also agree if they put those characters roaming around..they would make a lot of traffic espically in areas that are small and that could make the flow of the traffic congusted. Which would make those with strollers or wheelchairs, scooters, hard to get by. If they would put these characters in more wide spaces where traffic is not a problem then I am all for it.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• All-American

They have these in Hollywood Studios at WDW... they're called Streetmosphere. A director in 1940s garb might come out on the street with a megaphone, giving people instructions as if they're actors, or a detective might ask you what's in the Disney bag.

Another idea for New Orleans Square... what if they had Southern Belles or Azalea Trail Maids?

It would be awesome and not entirely unrealistic if DL did this. I usually don't bother reading idea columns, but this one's really cool.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 02-24-2009 at 12:09 PM.

• Troublemaker

I think streetmosphere is a great idea, if done right. Keep the characters moving, so if a crowd forms around them, the characters can just roam and move the group out of the main walkway. (Of course, Adventureland doesn't have to many places like this.

Honestly, I think DCA (with wider paths and fewer people) could benefit a lot more from this that Disneyland would.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphenom View Post
    I think streetmosphere is a great idea, if done right. Keep the characters moving, so if a crowd forms around them, the characters can just roam and move the group out of the main walkway. (Of course, Adventureland doesn't have to many places like this.

Honestly, I think DCA (with wider paths and fewer people) could benefit a lot more from this that Disneyland would.
    That was what i was picturing, indeed, having them be mobile in smaller areas, and then in places like NoS or Tomorrowland, they could stop when there is a larger area to perform in.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• HauntedOne999

I would like to see streetmosphere characters. This type of character can be seen all over WDW from MK to DHS. I think DL should initiate this type of performer to its repetoir. Granted the bands seen all over DL and the Mayor are great but what about other characters?

MK has "Scoop" Sanderson the Main Street Gazette Reporter, from time to time they have had the Mayor's Wife, the Main Street Trolley Party, and The Suffragettes.

and DHS has a multitude of characters up and down Sunset and Hollywood Blvd.

WHY CAN'T DL GET SOME?!?!?!?

A "Jane" type adventuerer character in Adventurland would be great and what about an "Adventurers Club" type troupe to do spontaneous shows? they could use the old Band loop of the Jungle Cruise Boathouse for it... they still have all the hook-ups from the steel drum band.

The Mayor's Wife and Reporter would be something I would definatly love to see on Main Street... and what about like a Newsies troupe? i mean that was a Disney musical but fits in with turn of the century.

Tomorrowland could use a bumbling scientist character with like a cart of gadgets to test on guests.

Frontierland definatly needs Slue Foot Sue, Pecos Bill, Davy Crockett and maybe even Zorro... that would be awesome to see a fencing fight in front of the Rancho Del Zocalo.

and DCA could definatly use the same type of steetmosphere as DHS... casting agents, starlettes, reporters, etc.

Disney characters are nice but original ones would be even better and boost each lands theme.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    The Indy Show worked good in the Oasis, and I did like Indy battling it out above the streets in Adventureland - really reminded me of a couple scenes in the first movie.

And Aladdin and Jasmine work as added interest sometimes in AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphenom View Post

Remember when DCA first opened ~ more specifically DeVine, and Three Bags Full!?!?!?!??! Of course DeVine was more successful. Everyone just wondered what the Heck those 3 ugly colored blobs were all about.