Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Re: Does it bother you?

I like the odd combination of Disneyland. It just seems... right, maybe? I don't know. I don't mind much of anything. Except for the 'observatron' or whatever. The gold thing where the rockets used to be that lights up and rotates every half hour or whatever?

What does that do? Or what's it supposed to do? It seems random, and nobody seems to understand.
    Code Lee-Oh-Co (Or Jessica, if you want)

• we jumped out a window

I don't like being able to see the Anaheim Convention Center from California Screamin'.

As much as I like riding on the Monorail, I don't like seeing all the businesses/restaurants along Harbor Blvd.

• Here's my 2 cents

Astro Orbitor is the worst hands down, the observatron is the next, I think it was supposed to do some fancy light show thing every hour and some agency had a problem with them shooting lights in the air every hour so now it just sits there looking creepy like a relic from "War of The Worlds"

BUT I''ve always been bugged by another Pressler era masterpiece; the tree stump entrance for tarzans treehouse. Dumped smack in the middle of the main traffic zone of adventureland and at the foot of the bridge over POTC that was created to HELP traffic flow, brilliant!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Seeing Anaheim from the monorail doesn't bother me so much. It is supposed to demonstrate the transportation system of the future, so going along Harbor Blvd actually adds to the theme.

I also don't mind seeing the convention center from Screamin' (or the Sun Wheel or Maliboomer for that matter) because those are carnival/Magic Mountain-type rides and because Magic Mountain doesn't give a hoot about theming, these rides shouldn't either. These visual incongruencies imo actually contribute to the boardwalk theme rather than detracting from it.

You can also see downtown Los Angeles from the top of TOT. But, since TOT is supposed to be located in Hollywood, this is the only TOT at any Disney Park that you can see the actual city that this attraction is supposed to be in.

Things like this used to stress me out a lot more when I was younger. Then I saw some footage of Main Street taken back in the 50s (I wish I remember where I saw it). Behind the Main Street buildings as you enter toward the right, you can easily see the rocket in Tomorrowland looming from behind these buildings. After I saw that image, I became less critical of these things.

Disneyland has a way of presenting things that may not make sense together in a way that either makes total sense or blends in enough to be ingored. Otherwise, we wouldn't be looking at a fairy tale castle, but instead a victorian mansion.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

^hoping most of that makes sense.

I'm here at work, scanning documents and I am bored out of my mind!

Fantasyland (or Orem, UT, when I absolutely have to)

[quote=DisneyIPresume;3463475
    Things like this used to stress me out a lot more when I was younger. Then I saw some footage of Main Street taken back in the 50s (I wish I remember where I saw it). Behind the Main Street buildings as you enter toward the right, you can easily see the rocket in Tomorrowland looming from behind these buildings. After I saw that image, I became less critical of these things.

Disneyland has a way of presenting things that may not make sense together in a way that either makes total sense or blends in enough to be ingored. Otherwise, we wouldn't be looking at a fairy tale castle, but instead a victorian mansion.[/quote]

That's a good way to look at things, I think. Personally, I never really have had much problem with ANY of it, particularly because, even with its flaws -- which in most places just can't be helped, considering there's only so much space in the park and between lands -- Disney does a MUCH better job of keeping unity in themes than just about any other themed park I can think of.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

How about that annoying castle which ruins my perception of being on an early 1900's street in middle America.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    How about that annoying castle which ruins my perception of being on an early 1900's street in middle America.
    Wait, you can actually SEE the castle???

Talking Re: Does it bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Ha ha! Touche!

• I'm not really here

It really can't bother me at all, even if I wanted it to, which I don't, and here's why.

The Haunted Mansion is an Antebellum Plantation. Antebellum means "before the war" and refers to the time before the civil war and back to about 1830ish. Antebellum architecture refers to the plantation homes built in the southern states during this time frame. The actual architectural style of these homes is Greek or Classical Revival or Federal style. Boxy, symmetrical, entrances at front and rear, pillars, patios and porches, etc.

Song of the South, based on the stories by Joel Chandler Harris, forms the basis for Splash Mountain. The Uncle Remus stories were first published in 1879, after the war, but take place at a time directly following the Civil War and in the south. They focus on the oral traditional stories of the recently freed slaves as Mr. Harris heard them growing up on a plantation.

So the juxtaposition of the Haunted Mansion with Chickapin Hill (Splash Mountain) fits rather perfectly story wise.

Chickapin is actually a type of nut tree that grows in much of the eastern south of the United States. A chickapin tree can be seen at the top of the final lift hill and its roots provide the framing for the exit of the mountain to the drop itself. So the external themeing of the ride actually works out as well. The red tint in the soil of Chickapin hill is due to the high content of iron in the soil which, when exposed to air, oxidizes and forms rust. It just so happens that southern states such as Alabama have soil that is very high in iron deposits and oxidizes nicely when exposed to the air.

The look and position of this ride between NOS and Critter Country is actually quite brilliant. It perfectly fits into the southern setting of the Haunted Mansion as well as the time period of the Haunted Mansion while at the same time fitting into the architecture of Critter Country as well as the character element of that land.

Splash Mountain really is a piece de resistance for the Imagineers.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

....that was long....uh no it doesnt bother me, why would it.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

It doesn't bother me. Obviously there is a set amount of space that can be used for the rides. I've watched the park grow and think they've done a pretty good job of fitting so much in.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It really can't bother me at all, even if I wanted it to, which I don't, and here's why.

The Haunted Mansion is an Antebellum Plantation. Antebellum means "before the war" and refers to the time before the civil war and back to about 1830ish. Antebellum architecture refers to the plantation homes built in the southern states during this time frame. The actual architectural style of these homes is Greek or Classical Revival or Federal style. Boxy, symmetrical, entrances at front and rear, pillars, patios and porches, etc.

Song of the South, based on the stories by Joel Chandler Harris, forms the basis for Splash Mountain. The Uncle Remus stories were first published in 1879, after the war, but take place at a time directly following the Civil War and in the south. They focus on the oral traditional stories of the recently freed slaves as Mr. Harris heard them growing up on a plantation.

So the juxtaposition of the Haunted Mansion with Chickapin Hill (Splash Mountain) fits rather perfectly story wise.

Chickapin is actually a type of nut tree that grows in much of the eastern south of the United States. A chickapin tree can be seen at the top of the final lift hill and its roots provide the framing for the exit of the mountain to the drop itself. So the external themeing of the ride actually works out as well. The red tint in the soil of Chickapin hill is due to the high content of iron in the soil which, when exposed to air, oxidizes and forms rust. It just so happens that southern states such as Alabama have soil that is very high in iron deposits and oxidizes nicely when exposed to the air.

The look and position of this ride between NOS and Critter Country is actually quite brilliant. It perfectly fits into the southern setting of the Haunted Mansion as well as the time period of the Haunted Mansion while at the same time fitting into the architecture of Critter Country as well as the character element of that land.

Splash Mountain really is a piece de resistance for the Imagineers.
    EXCELLENT point! Very nicely put, highly informative. Disney does try very hard to keep transitions as smooth as possible and I really think they do a good job. And sometimes it doesn't SEEM like it's right, but in fact works quite nicely. They DO do their research!

No it doesn't bother me. I think it actually adds to the experience. Only in Disneyland could you see a mountain from the Swiss Alps while standing on a street from the turn of the century or a giant mouse wearing clothes that can sign his own name.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post
    I like the odd combination of Disneyland. It just seems... right, maybe? I don't know. I don't mind much of anything. Except for the 'observatron' or whatever. The gold thing where the rockets used to be that lights up and rotates every half hour or whatever?

What does that do? Or what's it supposed to do? It seems random, and nobody seems to understand.
    On the original press release from 1997 (and I'm paraphrasing because I can't find it right at the moment), the Observatron was supposed to act as a communications satellite and every half hour, rotate (along with music and powerful strobe lights) to "receive transmissions from neighboring planets". These "transmissions" were originally supposed to be displayed on electronic marquees that were to be located below the Observatron, just above the Rocket Rods platform. Even though WDI clearly went the Discoveryland route with design, this element seems like a blend of the future-community concept at WDW's MK. Either way, yeah, it didn't get fleshed out so much ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast