• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Talking Of all the Disney Imagineers, who do you think had the greatest impact

on Disneyland? Like storylines, the gags, the structure of the park, and music as well.

Personally, I believe Marc Davis had if not the biggest impact. If it weren't for his humor , pirates or manison or jungle cruis wouldn't be popular today. Your opinons and thoughts are greatly welcomed.
    Last edited by cositaluvsmickey; 02-25-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Re: Of all the Disney Imagineers, who do you think had the greatest impact

I honestly don't think enough Imagineer names are well known enough to make that call. Of course there's Marc Davis and Tony Baxter and X. Atencio, but there are less known names like Yale Gracey, Leota Toombs, and designers such as John Hench and Bob Gurr...

It's a big team effort at WED/WDI.

• I'm not really here

For me it is Herb Ryman who spent the weekend with Walt drawing the original concept drawing of Disneyland. That's where most of what is there was hashed out and sketched for the first time on paper. I think that weekend, with those two people is probably the greatest impact as everything afterward flowed from there.

This of course is not to slight the wonderful work by Bob Gurr, Marc Davis, Mary Blair, Leota Toombs, X Atencio, Yale Gracey, and all the others whose names are too numerous for me to even begin to remember. Each and everyone of them has had an impact and left their mark on our lives and memories.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• =)

I don't think there's any one person (save for Walt) without whom the real soul of Disneyland couldn't have existed. All the Imagineers mentioned above have made extraordinary contributions that would be sorely missed, but Imagineering is such an incredibly collaborative effort that no one person except the originator of the craft can really be credited with the overall success.

That being said, my favorite living Imagineer is Tony Baxter, with Joe Rohde being a very fascinating runner-up.

• Senior Minion

Um, this is a trick question right? Might his initials be WED?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Of all the Disney Imagineers, who do you think had the greatest impact

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Um, this is a trick question right? Might his initials be WED?
    Besides Walt...people who helped him create the most beautiful place on earth.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• time to go

For me, any and all amusement/theme parks are primarily about the rides. And regarding Disney theme parks, it's all about the classic dark ride.

While more traditional park offerings such as coasters and spinners make for a good time, it's the Disney dark ride which totally raised the bar on the amusement park experience: Submarine Voyage, Rainbow Caverns, Pirates, Haunted Mansion... even the classic C tickets of Fantasyland, such as Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. These are rides I fell in love with as a child, which for me, are the very embodiment of Disney Magic. And what sets the Disney dark ride apart from other non-Disney offerings is the show design. It's the environment of the ride itself, the mood, the tone, the heart and soul of the ride. Show design literally puts the "theme" in "theme park."

The Disney Imagineer who had the greatest impact, IMHO, was show designer Claude Coats. He was the master of other world creation. Disneyland's classic dark rides became classics because of Claude.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Member of Baxter's Army

John Hench.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cositaluvsmickey View Post
    Besides Walt...people who helped him create the most beautiful place on earth.
    I know, just was being smart with you. Anyway, I don't think any one individual can really be named the most influencial, but when as I've learned more about individual contributions it certainly has given me enormous respect for many Imagineers. Really everyone mentioned so far have all made amazing contributions.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Monorail Minion

My personal favorites in this order are:

Tony Baxter- He has embraced the Disney way, and whether he likes it or not, is the face of Imagineering. His spirit, kindness, and creativity speak for themselves

Bob Gurr- There would be no Disneyland without this guy (or everything would be a walkthrough...)
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...