Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

I may in the old crowd here, but I understand time marches on.
    That said, Taking a truely unique and special attraction, and turning it into the plastic commercial that it is, is just too much for me to bear. I no longer heft my old self up the stairs to see how they destroyed that lovely treehouse.

• Sock Puppet

Do I miss the Swiss Family Robinson TreeHouse? what TreeHouse? Okay, I admit I know about the attraction, heck I have been on it countless times! But am I regretful that it is no longer in existance? Absolutely not, and here's why:
    Years ago I was visiting Disneyland on a solo trip, taking the time to embrace the overall atmosphere, rather than run from ride to ride. I decided to climb up into the treehouse after much debate considering the mass quantities of kids running around on the small, quite lofty, poorly thatched levels. I finally managed to reach the top and was very impressed and taken aback by the attention to detail as well as superb view. While casually leaning on the rail, I noticed a guest walking beneath me on the pathway en route to POTC. She looked very familiar and I was forced to lean over the rail slightly to get a better view prior to calling out her name. Due to my lack of trust regarding the stability of this multi-story lawsuit comprised of primitive building materials such as wood and rope, I wedged my foot into two of the more sturdy planks as to aquire some sort of balance while leaning in for a better look. Just as I was making my final lean, four large, rather obese and rambunctious kids came barreling across the bridge and were headed straight for my vulnerable position! I tried to return to a standing position, but too late! Accidently knocking my footing loose from the wooden brace, my top heavy figure was thrown over the edge! Despite very little memories of the actual airtime, I distinctively remeber the impact between my body and the ground beneath the tree. It hurt. Luckily I managed to evade the concrete by falling into some large bushes right under the level I had been standing on. On contact my body went numb and my head went clear, total relaxtion. Crumpled up inside of a bush, I lied there motionless and unconscious for the next 45 minutes or so. Out of view to the guests as well as the CM's, my health would soon be at question. I needed immediate medical attention and due to my state of mind as well as location, help was at question. I finally came around I think due to the shark pain I was feeling in my lower back. Almost forgetting what had just happened, I tried to get up from the damp shrubbery I had been resting in for the better part of an hour only to feel more pain that you could even imagine. I tried to scream, to get the attention of the passersby, but was completely unsuccessful in creating any sounds, and my breathing was being greatly obstructed. At least one lung was surely collapsed by now along with a few broken ribs. I didn't know what to do. Desperation had set in and I was in a very fragile state. As my vision began to get hazy, hearing muffled, I made out some approaching sounds. It was dark and was only getting darker, but I was able to make out a figure walking alone along the path towards the HM. It was now or never, I needed some help pronto and began to shake the branches of the bush feverishly in hopes of obtaining some attention. The figure stopped. Suddenly I felt a cold chill run all over my body and despite the fact that I was completely numb, felt every bit of it. It walked towards me and into a pathway light revealing it's true nature. This person was none other than the Wicked Witch from Snow White! Luckily for me, she was still in her Queen form and had yet to change into the hag, but I was still a little apprehensive. Long story short, with a wave of her wand and a gulp of something rather ghastly from her vile, I felt like a million bucks! I kissed her on the cheek and was on my way without any further delay!
    So returning to the original question; no I do not miss that treehouse, it is a hazard to the safety of the park's guests. I do, however, have a new-found respect and fondness for the less popular villians that roam the park!
    -Kyle

I remember Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse a long time ago when I was little. My family thinks its sad that its gone, but it may have been for the better. Many children relate to Tarzan much better because he's more "new". My own boyfriend has never even heard of Swiss Family Robinson. I am sad to see it go...I loved that treehouse, Tarzan wasn't as pleasing to me.

Thumbs down

I totally miss it. When I was younger and my parents would take us to Disneyland, I used to force one of my parents to walk up all the steps with me. Since they changed it to Tarzans treehouse, Ive been up there once. Was unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    I used to go to the treehouse on every visit up until the Tarzan makeover. I've seen that twice, and have no desire to even expend the energy of climbing the steps.
    Think of it as a poorly themed stair-master

• Minion

Yeah... between the unnecessary overhaul (Are Tarzan and Indy contemporaries? Because I thought Adventureland was rethemed to blend well with Indy's time...) and that stupid thing sticking out into the walkway now, I've never been compelled to see the new version. I figure someone has to be measuring the number of visitors, and I don't want to be counted in that number.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I still have that Organ music drilled into my head. The Swisska Polka. That Treehouse was truly exotic to me and i dreamed of getting top stay there overnight, even though the beds were "scaled down". A full on Martini Bar up there with a bamboo themed Tivo and a wireless Mac. I'm good to go. The Swiss Fondue Jacuzzi among the Soul kitchen and all the plastic fruit on would be great for entertaining. Anyone else miss the ol' dump? I sure do.

i miss it , too and the minute you mentioned the swiss polka - i could hear the song in my head in the right key even!

Your Ultra Style Guide for Modern Living!

• All you need is LOVE

Oh the tree house.Well If I could walk I would love to go high in the sky in the old tree house.Darn This wheelchair.......

• LoisAlene

I remember reading that "no one really knew who the Swiss Family Robinson was, as the film had been out of circulation for quite some time". By THAT reasoning, Splash Mountain should never have even been built!

Bring back the Swiss!

Swiss Family Robinson was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I used to love the part when they have the race on all the animals. I miss the treehouse.
    Remain Seated Please..... :o

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by SurfedUpDane
    This person was none other than the Wicked Witch from Snow White! -Kyle
    She works the west side on friday nights. Buy her a few drinks and she's really fun.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

I went on Tarzan once and vowed to never go on it again, but last time a friend made me go up and I didn't hate it nearly as much.

Swiss Family Robinson was something that I couldn't relate to as a kid fourteen years ago; I can't imagine how foreign it would feel to kids now. I can understand why they changed it.

• Senior Minion

Swiss Family was the best. I felt more immersed then Tarzan the playground.
    my .02$
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• I like Cheese...

I don't care about the theme that much, SFW or Tarzan. My complaint is that the new one looks cheap. Thanks Paul.

• Minion

I think my childhood Disney experience sucked! I always did the popular stuff and never did the out of the way stuff, so I never really went through the Swiss Family Robinson house, or saw the Country Bear Jamboree, or went to Tom Sawyer Island (first time was a few years ago). I do remember going on the pre-tarzan treehouse once and thinking it was very cool-looking. The Tarzan version is less interesting, although I would talk about it the way some of you do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast